Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were the Olympics worth £9 billion?

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
I was an absolute cynic beforehand, although a massive fan of track and field. I ended up on the flip side. It's done a lot for youngsters as far as I can tell/read, which is fundamentally a good thing.

I'm afraid some of the pledges made before - social housing, sports funding etc, haven't been kept, but that's political. Otherwise yes, a good thing indeed.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Before it started and I hadn't got any tickets I was all a bit Meh.

From the opening ceremony to the closing I couldn't get enough.

And the highlights for me were the rower, can't remember his name, bursting into tears for "letting us down" when he only got a Silver ffs, and Mo on Super Saturday.

Honourable mention to the Paralympic archer holding the bow with his foot and using his teeth to pull the string, aim and fire.

Good last comment and with CDs of both, when you feel a little hard done by life, a few minutes of the Paralympics makes you realise that it really isn't that bad. Sounds a bit sentimental but does make you think sometimes.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Yes we were in the worst state since WW2 we needed a lift and 9 billion if that hat it cost was worth it the Mp travel expenses and bakers bonus must have cost us more

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
the thread about the Illuminati and the Olympics was PRICELESS.

Oh I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell us it was all a big charade laid on by the shadowy powers to sucker us unsuspecting mugs in while in the background they quietly get on with conspiring to commit their conspiracies or whatever it is.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yes, they were absolutely bloody brilliant.

Hopefully we'll see them back here some time.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Having done some legacy work at the Olympic Park I would say that the 9 billion would have been worth it, but I could almost guarantee it could of been done for so much less. The money wasting up there is scandalous.

I worked up there for 2 weeks and watched 1 million disappear in the field next to us in no time at all.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The Olympics was utterly, superbly brilliant. In every way. HOWEVER..

NINE BILLION!?!?!?!

I find this video puts into perspective exactly how much a billion is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J6BQDKiYyM
It's not worth 9 billion. That's NINE BILLION not going into schools and hospitals. You can't justify it on what was basically a massive party.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It certainly was and to quote another post on this thread, most of that £9 Billion was spent on services/products from this country.

It made the country a great place to be, even just being in London during the Olympics there was a buzz which made the city better. I can seriously see them coming back to this country again in my lifetime because we nailed it.

Not bad for something everyone thought was going to be pretty s**t !!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If you're watching the Anniversary Games on BBC1, it's Main Event time...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
An appalling start and he still does 9.85

Absolute freak of nature...

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
No, not as a London resident who paid through the arse for it, got no incentives or rewards, who didn't want it in the first place, and who was expected to stop using public transport and work different hours to keep all the tourists (and I include the Brits who travelled into London within that description) happy.

Olympics, schmolympics. Terrible waste of money. Am I allowed to say '**** the Olympics'? No? Well I'll say it anyway... **** the Olympics, the government propaganda that removed free speech/dissent, the media who 'told' us it was wonderful, and the idiots who still think it made sense.

Sorry - went off on one there...

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
No, not as a London resident who paid through the arse for it, got no incentives or rewards, who didn't want it in the first place, and who was expected to stop using public transport and work different hours to keep all the tourists (and I include the Brits who travelled into London within that description) happy.

Olympics, schmolympics. Terrible waste of money. Am I allowed to say '**** the Olympics'? No? Well I'll say it anyway... **** the Olympics, the government propaganda that removed free speech/dissent, the media who 'told' us it was wonderful, and the idiots who still think it made sense.

Sorry - went off on one there...

You sound cheery...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here