Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

• Yes

Votes: 364 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 134 26.9%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My finger did not push the out button until the Bournemouth debacle. I know many have argued against it but I definitely felt for the games against Saints, Bournemouth and Cardiff that something had gone very wrong behind the scenes. The first half against Newcastle did not look like a team fighting for theirs and the manager’s future either.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Did yes but feel terrible for doing so. I love you Chris.

My thoughts too. If I was chairman I would have funded for new players and given him to Christmas. I am not the chairman and I trust Bloom to make the right decision. I just think with a new manager, especially if it is Graham Potter, we will be like a newly promoted side with new manager to the premier league and will be back to where we were when we were promoted. It of course may be the best thing we have done but how many new managers fail to struggle to even survive the first season in the top flight.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Fine margins - but he did keep us up. Not knowing what Tony has up his sleeve but yes feel it was right

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I voted yes with a heavy heart.

If you are going to do it, now is the time to do it, so as to give maximum time to the successor.

I would also hope/trust that Mr B did not do it entirely off his own bat on the spur of a moment - that he talked with Barber and Ashworth, for example, first.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thickle fans on here. If the poll was yesterday you would have got completely different results

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm just total fence, have been for ages. I just can't bring myself to vote yes on a poll like this, or any of the others, for all hes done for us..... but I just kept waiting for us to snap out of that funk, and it just never came........

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I suspect we will only know if it was the right decision in the fullness of time but I applaud Tony Bloom's bravery in taking the decision at what feels like the right time and I'm sure it was an incredibly difficult decision to take because we have a great deal to be thankful to Hughton for.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And we want replace him with an unknown who finished 10 in the championship????

Stupid decision imo. Relegation beckons next season.

Who is this "we" you are talking about. Potter is the bookies' favourite. I can't hear the fans clamouring to get Potter in...…

……. unless maybe it is Harry, to work his magic! Now there's an idea.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Yes, but it should have been announced as a mutual termination. I think sacking him is harsh and I'd like to think that there was more of a conversation which preceded it. It's a sad end for a legendary manager of our club, but ultimately it's right that it's happened.

It can only be considered mutual if both parties wanted it to end, I would hope the club gave CH an opportunity to walk away, but if he declined the only option was to sack him.

Better to do it now than if we see the same form at the beginning of next season and find ourselves in trouble in October.

Means the new man will have a chance to get his players in and bed in a system over pre-season.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yes. Time for change.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its a results business and 2 wins since 29th December just isn't good enough. A yes from me. Chris will walk away with a tidy sum...

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Thickle fans on here. If the poll was yesterday you would have got completely different results

But it not yesterday it's after the event. I wanted Hughton to stay and given funds to try and improve our league status, Bloom wants a new man in charge so I respect and support that. He is the man who has funded this club and we must respect his decision when and if they come. If Hughtons days were numbered in Blooms eyes that's good enough for me and I deem it to be the correct decision. Not a decision I would have made but agree Bloom has made the right decision in the best interests of the running of the club. You wouldn't get a more pro Hughton than me but the decision has been made and we must move swiftly to the next managerial appointment.
No hypocritical views IMHO

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can't vote as there is no 'Don't know' option. Something had obviously gone badly wrong in that second half of the season and the club hierarchy obviously had no faith that CH could turn it around. Those bald facts are pretty much all we as fans know.

So that being said, if the board had doubts about CH then yes, sacking him now was the right decision. The new guy can have almost the full pre-season to get to know us, and to be a bit cynical we will be able to have two bites of the cherry. Get a new man in now, perhaps a left-field signing like Potter, and if it all goes pear-shaped by the beginning of December we can then 'Do a Palace' and get (another) new man in to hopefully keep us up.

And if Brighton were ever going to sack CH in a perverse way I'm glad it's happened now with a debate about what would have happened next season with him still as manager. If we'd started next season the way we've finished this then the Amex would have been a toxic, unpleasant place for him, and he certainly didn't deserve that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What do you think?

I voted "yes", however...

I've said, previously, that the only time I could see Bloom acting was if we were adrift in the bottom three heading towards Christmas. When I received the embargo-ed email notification a few minutes before 9:30, I was stunned - I really couldn't see it happening so quickly.

I'd only just posted that I am glad that the season is over. and the thought of more of the same next season was not appealing.

I love Christ Hughton to bits - he has done so much for the club and is clearly a thoroughly decent bloke - one of the best. I feel dirty saying "yes"...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here