Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were our defeats against Crewe a fluke ?

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Looking at the table we are now 3 points better off than them, and bearing in mind they took six of those points off us you take those two results away and its relegation form.

According to the match report when they lost to Stoke on Saturday Ashton & Rivers missed good chances whereas against us in both games they were red hot.

I rekon they got lucky against us ! there strikers had a good day and we did'nt take the chances when we got them.........I think we'l finish above them. ???

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Hadlee said:
Looking at the table we are now 3 points better off than them, and bearing in mind they took six of those points off us you take those two results away and its relegation form.

According to the match report when they lost to Stoke on Saturday Ashton & Rivers missed good chances whereas against us in both games they were red hot.

I rekon they got lucky against us ! there strikers had a good day and we did'nt take the chances when we got them.........I think we'l finish above them. ???

You woken up at last!!!

Hadlee said:

Don't agree, but love you for your optimism.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not so sure. I was WELL impressed with Crewe at our place (didn't go to Gresty though). Their passing and finishing was top notch, and I went away thinking there's no way that lot will hang around in the relegation zone. One of their fans wrote on here that it was their best porformance of the season at Withdean, so we probably did catch them on a good day, but I think Gradi will continue to steer them clear of the bottom 3.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some teams have "bogey" teams.

We were Wolves bogey team for many years.

We haven't beaten Crewe since 1969. Perhaps they are our bogey team?

Hope we don't get them in the cup!!

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
I think their home form will be good enough to keep them up, unfortunately for us. They were pretty dominant at Gresty Road, although they were assisted by some horrendous refereeing.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Re: Re: Were our defeats against Crewe a fluke ?

Perry Milkins said:
You woken up at last!!!

Been busy............for a change !!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps Crewe are our new Brentford?

I can live with that, as long as we still tuck away points here and there and continue to have days out like West Ham
:)

Albion Rob

I think it says more about us than them. When we have a clearly defined game plan to defend then we're quite good and we can snatch a goal from a set play. However, when the onus is on us to attack and ask the questions of the opposition we begin to get a bit flustered and eventually do something sloppy and let in goals. QPR and, from what I've heard, Crewe at home were examples of this. We were playing well but not creating/taking our chances and then we get caught with a sucker punch and it's the opposition shutting up shop.

Untill w have the sorts of players who can take defenders on and a striker who will definitely net 15-20 a season we will always be better off as the underdogs.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Easy 10 said:
Not so sure. I was WELL impressed with Crewe at our place (didn't go to Gresty though). Their passing and finishing was top notch, and I went away thinking there's no way that lot will hang around in the relegation zone. One of their fans wrote on here that it was their best porformance of the season at Withdean, so we probably did catch them on a good day, but I think Gradi will continue to steer them clear of the bottom 3.

Agree......but they seem incapable of beating anyone else ? their only wins have been against us whereas we have the knack of turning over decent sides on our day.

Our defeats were not flukes. It is indication that standards in this division are much closer than is the received wisdom.

By all accounts we were unlucky away but still second-best. At home, our loss was no fluke, we were without a key player, had to play a system that did not suit the team's strengths and we were, not surprisingly, punished.

But certainly Crewe must be sick they're not playing us again this season given that we've handed them a third of their points :)

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Let's hope that it will not be a repeat of last time where - although we got some good results: Reading, Norwich, Wolves - essentially losing to teams like Walsall sent us down.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
You cant win em all!!

Never a dull moment for the Seagulls!!

:flameboun :lolol: :flameboun

Albion Rob

Buzza said:

We haven't beaten Crewe since 1969. Perhaps they are our bogey team?

Hope we don't get them in the cup!!

Oh god, don't say that. Imagine, ManUre, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool all in the hat and we go and draw Crewe away! Disaster.

A 'run' to the fourth or fifth round with a money-spinning tie along the way could be what keeps us in the division if we need to sign a loan player for the run-in.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This stat about us not beating Crewe since 1969 is a bit misleading though. I doubt we've played them more than half a dozen times since then anyway.

*waits for the statto's to shoot me down in flames*

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Easy 10 said:
This stat about us not beating Crewe since 1969 is a bit misleading though. I doubt we've played them more than half a dozen times since then anyway.

*waits for the statto's to shoot me down in flames*

You could be right! I've been watching the Albion since the 70s and I don't recall watching them in the past! (may well have done - just don't remember seeing them!)

Albion Rob

I remember us drawing 2-2 with them at th Goldstone in about 1995. They had Lennon, Savage and Adebola playing for them, quite a decent side actually, I think they made the playoffs that year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Crewe are a bloody bunch of freaks. Third highest scoring outfit in the division, with the highest number of goals conceded. When they played us - one or other of those stats had to give. Goes without saying it was our inability to score more than a goal a game that swung it both times. Their young, thin, fast, tall, keen forwards are WELL up to the task, has to be said, tho their defenders should have their butts kicked all the way to the nearest Jobcentre.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Albion Rob said:
I remember us drawing 2-2 with them at th Goldstone in about 1995. They had Lennon, Savage and Adebola playing for them, quite a decent side actually, I think they made the playoffs that year.

17 Feb 1996 Brighton
D.Wilkins, P.Smith 2(0) - (2) 2 Crewe Alexandra 6,561 Division 2

12 Sep 1995 Crewe Alexandra 3(1) - (0) 1 Brighton
G.Bull 3,272 Division 2

18 Feb 1995 Brighton 0(0) - (1) 1 Crewe Alexandra 6,986 Division 2

14 Jan 1995 Crewe Alexandra 4(1) - (0) 0 Brighton 4,286 Division 2

25 Jan 1969 Brighton
D.Armstrong, K.Napier, A.Dawson 3(2) - (0) 1 Crewe Alexandra 11,269 Division 3 (old)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here