Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're All Wednesday (And Brighton) and (Hove Albion) Aren't We?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We did notice that you took some of the comments more seriously than fans of other clubs though, which was a cue to agitate the pot further.

The chippiness is a fairly common trait in the people of Sussex, who historically distrust the motives of 'foreigners' (An old Sussex term to describe anyone who is not from the county, or in some cases, from the same village.)

With Brighton fans the speed to defend and fight has been magnified by the high stakes in our own fight for survival. Brighton fans will correct any misunderstanding, misinterpretation or wind up anywhere in any media because we have spent the last two decades having to explain ourselves again and again in the light of the complexities and opportunity for misunderstanding around our story. Yes we dropped from the second tier and spent years scrapping at the bottom, yes we were reduced to playing at an athletics stadium, but this was not because of a lack of numbers, support or passion. We went that way and the fight to return to where we are now was very long, but like you, we avoided the disgraceful get out clause that is administration.

If you don't know more and would like to, Steven North and Paul Hodgson's 'Build A Bonfire' is an excellent read for anyone interested in football fan action and the importance of football clubs to many different people from all walks of life, all over the country. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Bonfire-Football-United-Brighton/dp/1840180250

I must say that I very much liked this part of your post:

"We do have our principles however, and for us, administration has never been an option in times of trouble. I'm proud of my club in that respect, preferring to soldier on rather than finding an easy way out of trouble via administration, and by doing so, shafting local businesses, and damaging community ties."

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/ (Oops, I don't know how that link got there!)

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Wednesday fans seem to be crowing from the rooftops at the moment.

For me they are a decent side but not the finished article. I don't think they've beaten any top sides yet in the league.

I think they will be close to the play offs but they should enjoy this high point as I don't ultimately see them going up. See Birmingham FC

All said without the slighest hint of irony :smile:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fair points well made.

But this does identify a difference in our respective approaches as our Portuguese Coach often takes gambles, and goes for the three points, away from home. Can give you breathing space can the odd win away for failure to win 3 points at home

This is true . Your approach has resulted in a pair of away wins this season. (both 2-1 at Rotherham and Brentford). Our approach has resulted in three :)

theowlsman

Jun 7, 2012
The chippiness is a fairly common trait in the people of Sussex, who historically distrust the motives of 'foreigners' (An old Sussex term to describe anyone who is not from the county, or in some cases, from the same village.)

With Brighton fans the speed to defend and fight has been magnified by the high stakes in our own fight for survival. Brighton fans will correct any misunderstanding, misinterpretation or wind up anywhere in any media because we have spent the last two decades having to explain ourselves again and again in the light of the complexities and opportunity for misunderstanding around our story. Yes we dropped from the second tier and spent years scrapping at the bottom, yes we were reduced to playing at an athletics stadium, but this was not because of a lack of numbers, support or passion. We went that way and the fight to return to where we are now was very long, but like you, we avoided the disgraceful get out clause that is administration.

If you don't know more and would like to, Steven North and Paul Hodgson's 'Build A Bonfire' is an excellent read for anyone interested in football fan action and the importance of football clubs to many different people from all walks of life, all over the country. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Bonfire-Football-United-Brighton/dp/1840180250

"We do have our principles however, and for us, administration has never been an option in times of trouble. I'm proud of my club in that respect, preferring to soldier on rather than finding an easy way out of trouble via administration, and by doing so, shafting local businesses, and damaging community ties."

We seem to have more in common than I first envisaged. Admin has never been the way out.

We also protested long and hard, over years, to oust those running the club. The club's hierarchy also thinking it a good idea to sue its own fans for suggesting the club wasn't being run correctly.

We effectively had a Gentleman's Club, who used the club for their own entertainment, and that of their business cohorts. The fans were an irrelevance and inconvenience, and seemingly any approach to invest in the club was turned away at each juncture. No investment from within, and none entertained from outside, just ticking along paying off the interest on bank loans, and no ambition to try and win anything, or push the club forward. 15 years of it!

A prolonged campaign against those in charge, spread over years, with help from Fans Groups, and the Co-Op bank, who decided in the end, to call in its debts, at a time HMRC had also taken us to court for outstanding taxes, pushed the club towards the brink of oblivion, and forced the Board to sell their shareholding (the alternative option being the club folding).

This would've been disastrous for their local business interests but nontheless they were prepared to take it to the wire in court until Milan Mandaric stepped in to pay the clubs tax debt off, a couple of hours before impending liquidation, followed by the Co-Op bank refusing to bail out the club any longer by loaning it more money.

Very swiftly after this, there followed a joint agreement between the current owners, to sell all shares to Mandaric with the bank taking a massive haircut on monies owed, with the agreed, reduced, balance only to be re-paid to the Co-Op on a return to the Premiership. A proper community-based bank serving and supporting the local community, and its football club, rather than sustaining a bunch of self-motivated individuals even the bank had become weary of.

All through this period, there had been anti-Board protests by the fans, also trying to influence an exit strategy for the club's hierarchy. Protests during games, outside the stadium, leaflet campaigns, interviews with the media by fans groups etc.

Mandaric came in, stabilised the club without investing too much, then sold us to our new owner, who is loaded and splashing the cash. Seems genuinely interested in the fans, the club's history, and states he is here for the long term, wanting his young son to take over as part of the family dynasty.

Already seen massive investment in quality players, new state of the art Desso pitch - same pitch as at Wembley and Old Trafford, and new, modern, scoreboard. Out of the dark ages at last!

Let the good times roll!

As we both now know, fan power, if sustained, can make a massive difference to a club's future

Come on, let's both of us make them have it!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There is only one thing more annoying than an away prick on here and that's a good natured away 'chap' who thinks he understands what we went through because his club suffered in a similar way. Pass the sick bucket.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
All said without the slighest hint of irony :smile:

Of course the Palace c**t conveniently sidesteps the: "We do have our principles however, and for us, administration has never been an option in times of trouble. I'm proud of my club in that respect, preferring to soldier on rather than finding an easy way out of trouble via administration, and by doing so, shafting local businesses, and damaging community ties" quote...

C*n*s.

Last edited:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Yes, these.

Undoubtedly the most tedious, smug, boring Nigel of all.

And 3,340 posts on our board in 3 years. FFS what an absolute cock.

Yep after all those posts I've also come to the conclusion you are the biggest prick on here .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here