Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're 98% certain to reach the play-offs

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Vegas Seagull is correct (with a user name like that he should be able to work out the odds)

Three possible outcomes for the two Brighton games = 6
Ditto for Bolton = 6
Ditto for Forest = 6
Three poss outcomes for three Palace games = 9

So number of possible combinations 6x6x6x9 = 1944
Looks completely wrong to me. How does:
"Three possible outcomes for the two Brighton games = 6"? It should be 9 (3*3)
So it should be 9*9*9*27 = 19,683.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Ooops...you're right. Scrub that calculation then - I knew I shouldn't have tried to do it late at night

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

No, he's right. Only six possible outcomes from two games:

6 pts (W+W)
4 pts (W+D)
3 pts (W+L)
2 pts (D+D)
1 pt (D+L)
0 pts (L+L)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

6 pts (W+W)
4 pts (W+D)
3 pts (W+L)
2 pts (D+D)
1 pt (D+L)
0 pts (L+L)
No, those are number of points, not possible results. That won't help you work out the odds.

Note the OP said: "There are 2,592 combinations of possible results in the remaining Albion, Palace, Bolton and Forest games, only 51 of them would produce a situation where we would not be in the top four - approx 2 out of a 100."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No, those are number of points, not possible results. That won't help you work out the odds.

Note the OP said: "There are 2,592 combinations of possible results in the remaining Albion, Palace, Bolton and Forest games, only 51 of them would produce a situation where we would not be in the top four - approx 2 out of a 100."

Yes. And there are actually only 60 combinations would produce a situation where Brighton wouldn't reach the play-offs. So, the odds are 99.7% that Brighton will reach the playoffs. I'm more awake now

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
My head hurts.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

6 pts (W+W)
4 pts (W+D)
3 pts (W+L)
2 pts (D+D)
1 pt (D+L)
0 pts (L+L)

My head hurts.
Just to use your example to explain, with 1 game, there are 3 possible results (W,L,D), with 2 games there are 9 possible results (but as you said, only 6 possible outcomes points wise). Those 9 are:
W,W
W,D
W,L
L,L
L,D
L,W
D,D
D,W
D,L

The easy way to work that out is simply 3 (from 1 game) * 3 (from the second game).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Just to use your example to explain, with 1 game, there are 3 possible results (W,L,D), with 2 games there are 9 possible results (but as you said, only 6 possible outcomes points wise). Those 9 are:
W,W
W,D
W,L
L,L
L,D
L,W
D,D
D,W
D,L

The easy way to work that out is simply 3 (from 1 game) * 3 (from the second game).

But isn't it outcomes that count rather than results - it doesn't matter whether it's a D and a W or a W and a D? Both result in four points.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But isn't it outcomes that count rather than results - it doesn't matter whether it's a D and a W or a W and a D? Both result in four points.
If you just want to know the possible points outcomes, then yes. But if you want to work out the combinations of getting there, then no. Either is fine, but the OP was talking about combinations of results in the remaining games, not combinations of points.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You're all wrong - I make it 100%! :wink: :clap: :albion:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here