Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wenger loses the plot?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
How does this work?

According to Wenger, this would reduce by half the amount of travelling players have to undertake

So by making the WC every other year, you play less. ???

"The current four-year cycle was established in 1930, yet 133 countries have never been at the World Cup."

So by doubling the games, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Andorra and Litchtensein all have an equal chance to win it. ???

He believes young players do not have an equal chance to fulfil their potential because of where they are born. Put simply, the richest countries have the best youth programmes.

True. But that's true for ALL people from 3rd world countries. Its an awful situation, but a WC every 2 years isn't going to change the world. Unfortunately.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am totally against the WC every 2 years because it will be to the detriment of other sports.

We already have a new football kid on the block - Women's Football - that eats into the TV sporting audience. Go outside of the cricket test match venue counties and everyone else - including Sussex - is financially screwed. The same goes for all bar a handful of rugby clubs.

I love football but it is over-exposed, it hoovers up too much time, money and energy.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What would you get rid of?

From a European POV

I would make the nations league a second tier comp as it really only benefits them

Cut European Qualifiers down with pre qualification stage

Have a limit on travel distance for friendlies

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe between every World Cup when the Euros are on FIFA could hold a World Cup for those countries like Andorra who never qualify for the final stages of anything and the winners of that competition get to go to the next World Cup.

Something that Scotland and Wales may want to enter.

But the current World Cup should remain at 4 years, and the number of qualifies must not be expanded any further.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maybe between every World Cup when the Euros are on FIFA could hold a World Cup for those countries like Andorra who never qualify for the final stages of anything and the winners of that competition get to go to the next World Cup.

Something that Scotland and Wales may want to enter.

But the current World Cup should remain at 4 years, and the number of qualifies must not be expanded any further.

I imagine that the way competing nations like Andorra look upon the World Cup, is that if they could just win one qualifying tie, that would be akin to winning the whole tournament, and would keep them happy.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Although l vehemently disagree qwith Arsene on this occasion, l 'm sad to see all the vitriol against him on here. He has done so much for British football over the years, and l always look upon him as a true gent.

At the end of the day he is entitled to his views just as much as the next man, whether you agree with them or otherwise.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Could do with no international football. I hate waiting between Brighton games I'd prefer 2 games a week from mid August to mid July. Then I can have a months holiday free from footie. Plus a 24 hour transfer window - that could run over night, so I can have an all night results binge like a general election.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Football will self destruct with brain dead ideas like this. There’s already too much football with clubs effectively needing two sides to complete the existing programmes. Two World Cups in four years will devalue the game and performances. I get more and more sick with these organisations grabbing money and redistributing it on a one for you, two for me basis.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Not sure I could cope with a yearly meltdown on here that Southgate hasn’t picked Dunk for a tournament squad.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Id be up for hearing a bit more about this proposal, whatever you do it seems the time gets filled somehow, whether thats Nations League, International Friendlies, more European club football or clubs travelling half way around the world on tour, so why not have a bit more international tournament football? I absolutely love it when a major tournament is on during the summer and as a spectator I'm struggling to see the downside to be honest! Saying that upping the frequency would devalue it just doesn't make sense, we have the champions league every year and that still maintains its prestige.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here