Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welsh place names.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mates from uni from the valleys. Great laugh usually but, after walking in the Brecon, say you went up fan y big and there's silence. Can't speak more than the bor a dah between them isn't it?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Ynysddu was always pronounced Uness-Thee when I lived in South Wales.

I suspect that like many languages, regions will kick in, like people from the Valleys will say.....Care-diff for cardiff personally for Ynysddu I would say unis-de, I'm sure the pronounciations will change from area to area, we have only ever picked up on swansea / cardiff accents really

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just do away with ALL welsh road signs, doubled up info on forms etc etc........waste of money and a waste of time................I have not a clue of the percentage but a vast majority of Welsh people can do no more than utter a few minor sayings in Welsh...........its pointless!!
...so how is life in Penybont....:wink:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Had some wonderful times in yyfyystwwyugh and wyysterghyywer

styywerstwythyyerfghjweeryh is a shithole though.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Aberystwyth is probably the strangest place I have visited in the UK.
Miles and miles of nothing but green hills and fields and then, suddenly, a fair sized town with a university and everything, talk about a captive audience, the pubs could charge £10 a pint, its not as if you could just drive/taxi/bus or train to the nearest town for a night out, its light years away.

And on an SY [Shrewsbury] postcode FFS

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Back in the 80s / 90s I used to go on cricket tour with Chalvington & Ripe up to north Wales - we were based in Denbigh.
Between overs their batters would have the customary chat in the middle of the wicket but the crafty feckers were yacking [out loud] in Welsh - no idea what they were planning / saying.
Pesky foreigners ....

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Back in the 80s / 90s I used to go on cricket tour with Chalvington & Ripe up to north Wales - we were based in Denbigh.
Between overs their batters would have the customary chat in the middle of the wicket but the crafty feckers were yacking [out loud] in Welsh - no idea what they were planning / saying.
Pesky foreigners ....

That just isn't cricket ...

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Last time I was in North Wales, when I walked into a shop they were talking in English, when they realised I was English they started talking in Welsh.
This was in Betws-y-coed and the surrounding area, nice place to visit though.

Same happened to me in a shop in mid Wales. I made sure I was overly polite and wished them all a lovely day.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last time I was in North Wales, when I walked into a shop they were talking in English, when they realised I was English they started talking in Welsh.

Yes, standard practice in mid and north Wales - happened to me every time I've been there. Have to say, it's quite impressive how they can seamlessly change from English to Welsh in mid sentence without even a pause, though!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I did some contracting Helpdesk stuff for BT back in the day in Exeter. Had to cover Wales. Which was split into North Wales, and South Wales. Was a joy when engineers called in from Cardiff, and you could wind them up by asking them, is that North or South Wales. Then hit record.

Many enquiries were answered with.. Is that near anywhere a little more famous?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
And it's only 15 miles from Ynysddu, if you go via Ystrad Mynach.

The point is, though, that these places have only one name. There isn't an English equivalent or translation.[/QUOTE

In-ess-do = Ynysddu ............ustrad munarch = Ystrad Mynarch ..........my versions are how they are pronounced, obviously not a translation.

What about Bristol.
They are Welsh, and they know they are.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
When we moved here it helped to have a father who is first-language Welsh and a cousin in the Gorsedd (white druid) As a result I was taught Welsh pronunciation from a very early age, including Llanfair P.G. The only place that I had trouble working out was a village only a couple of miles from our house in Newtown (or Yr Drenewydd, if you prefer) called Llanllwchaiarn.

Those of you that have claimed, and I'm not disputing your version of events, that the conversation switched from English to Welsh when you appeared, have you considered that they were already speaking in Welsh, it is their mother tongue after all.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
please,please do not get me started, lived there (pontyates) for nine terrible years.
although I will say one the old guy (me talking about an old guy) Luther and his mate Peter both well Welsh when I approached gave up the welsh and chatted to me in English............................so not all bad then.
my other half still hates all Welsh with a vengance after some of the racist tauts by the next door neighbours, but you do meet people like that everywhere

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This was in Betws-y-coed and the surrounding area, nice place to visit though.

about 10 years ago when my daughter was studying at Cardiff University, that happened to us in central Cardiff once. The daughter is now living in Bridgend - or Pen y Bont, as it is known in Welsh - and working in Newport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here