Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wels wales on welsh tell in welsh tonight

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
English has borrowed from German, French, Norse and Latin.

But not Welsh.
Not quite true. Adder. corgi and dad are all of Welsh origin but it's true that English borrows little from Welsh.

When I was younger I spent a few school holidays around Merthyr where my family is from - I never heard Welsh spoken at all. But I've been back a few times recently, mainly for weddings and funerals and now hear it occasionally, so it's catching on, even in anglophone areas.

My Welsh is quite rudimentary: I can order meals, drinks, ask directions etc but would struggle with an in-depth discussion on inverted wingers and the high press.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not quite true. Adder. corgi and dad are all of Welsh origin but it's true that English borrows little from Welsh.

When I was younger I spent a few school holidays around Merthyr where my family is from - I never heard Welsh spoken at all. But I've been back a few times recently, mainly for weddings and funerals and now hear it occasionally, so it's catching on, even in anglophone areas.

My Welsh is quite rudimentary: I can order meals, drinks, ask directions etc but would struggle with an in-depth discussion on inverted wingers and the high press.

Is that because for the last 10 years they have just been hoofing it up to Bale?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

My favourite thing about Merthyr is a road name near the council offices, The Rue de Clichy is shown twice on the dual sign showing that French is the same in Welsh as it is in English!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I like it when Danny Gabbidon is commentating as I spend minutes trying to identify the voice and then more time wondering why TV Chef Tom Kerridge is commentating on Cardiff v Wigan

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My favourite thing about Merthyr is a road name near the council offices, The Rue de Clichy is shown twice on the dual sign showing that French is the same in Welsh as it is in English!
It's the Avenue de Clichy in Merthyr, not rue - Rue de Clichy would be Heol Clichy in Welsh. There's a similar one in Cardiff with the Boulevard de Nantes, which in Welsh is Boulevard de Nantes.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I had a Welsh girlfriend from Tenby. She said Pembrokeshire was known as “Little England beyond Wales”
It is. I love Wales and Pembrokeshire in particular holds sentimental attachment for me. Loads of English settled there and many of the village and town names wouldn't be out of place in southern England.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
A Naval colleague about ten years older than me, told me they were punished at school, if they spoke Welsh. It was banned for quite a while. He lived In Tredegar.
This stems from what is known here as the Treachery of the Blue Books. It was a parliamentary report, published in 1847, and drafted in response to the rise of radical non-conformism in Wales which led to the Rebecca Riots, Merthyr Rising and the Chartists march on Newport (amongst others). The official conclusion of the report however, was that children taught through the medium of welsh were given a substandard education, in comparison with their English cousins.

One of the main consequences of this report was the introduction of the "Welsh Not," although it had existed in one form or another since the late 18th century. This was usually a small piece of wood enscribed with the initials WN attached to string and worn around the neck. It was passed to any child heard speaking welsh and whoever was left with it at the end of the week was punished, usually via a beating. As far as I am aware it died out in the !870's, but I could be wrong.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This stems from what is known here as the Treachery of the Blue Books. It was a parliamentary report, published in 1847, and drafted in response to the rise of radical non-conformism in Wales which led to the Rebecca Riots, Merthyr Rising and the Chartists march on Newport (amongst others). The official conclusion of the report however, was that children taught through the medium of welsh were given a substandard education, in comparison with their English cousins.

One of the main consequences of this report was the introduction of the "Welsh Not," although it had existed in one form or another since the late 18th century. This was usually a small piece of wood enscribed with the initials WN attached to string and worn around the neck. It was passed to any child heard speaking welsh and whoever was left with it at the end of the week was punished, usually via a beating. As far as I am aware it died out in the !870's, but I could be wrong.

My mother vividly remembers a boy being beaten at school for speaking Welsh in the 1930s. Her mother's first language was Welsh but she only spoke English at home, she was terrified of the beating - I could speak more Welsh than my mother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here