Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wellbeck's replacement from within

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I see no-one is fighting Locadia's corner to be in the starting XI.

Including himself per reports of the U23 game.

Sarmiento's goal posted in here for the U23 was sublime as was Tolaj's cross for it. They seem atleast like they want to make it in the first team.

There is certainly a lot to be said for promoting players into the first team squad/starting eleven who seemingly strive to WANT to be there, rather than others, (& we all know who l'm referring to), who, as long as they collect their regular pay packet, don't seem particularly concerned either way.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Sarmiento looks like a real future talent but probably needs to be eased in carefully. Tolaj looks like the more 'premier league ready' option based on what I've seen. He has plenty of skills and I don't see him being too perturbed by the speed and physicality side of things in the PL proper. I think it will be Connolly as the main man alongside Maupay and Trossard. And I have hopes he'll do well. But I hope that Tolaj will replace Connolly on the bench and start to see some action as the season progresses.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Minutes per goal it's got to be Duffy up top. He was centre forward for 3 minutes on Monday and in that time we scored 1 goal

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Connelly in is the obvious and correct choice imo

Maupay and Connellyhave often played well together against Arsenal too.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If Welbeck is going to be out for a considerable amount of time, which hasn't been confirmed, it stills leaves us with Maupay, Connolly, Trossard, Mac Allister, and Locadia to form some kind of front 3. Player likes March and Richards could also be pushed further forward. And Sarmiento, Ferguson, and Tolaj look great prospects. So we're fine in terms of options. As others have said i'd love to see Tolaj given a go, looks the most suited for Prem football.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Locadia has previously scored against Arsenal however Jeremy Sarmiento excites me. More naturally a winger but so much energy and would be desperate to impress, I think he should at least be on the bench.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Suspect Moder will be pushed forward. He has the attributes to play anywhere and has already contributed as a wide forward. Without Welbz our strongest front 7 is Cucurella, Biss, Lallana, Lamptey, Moder, Maupay, Tross. All firing that is a top ten line up.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Next season Potter could have a problem, but a good one to have, in that we will potentially have Sima, Zeqiri, Sarmiento, Khadra, Richards, Tolaj, and Ferguson all knocking on the first team door in terms of attacking players. The transfer policy of buying young talent to develop, and being a club with an obvious path for this age bracket seems to really be starting bear fruit.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Who knew having players who are interchangeable in position would work out rather than putting all your eggs in one expensive basket

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
We are well ahead of where we thought we would be after 6 games so let's throw Sarmiento or Tolaj straight into the Arsenal match. They won't be expecting them and they don't like it up em!

TNBA

TTF

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I actually think Moder could play No 9. Anyone agree?

Yes. He could play anywhere. The way he reads the game and always find dangerous spaces for himself, he would most likely be a fine CF. Or CB. Or CM. Or anywhere on the wings.

Think its the main reason he has barely played in his alleged "best position" - somewhere centrally on the midfield, because it limits how much you are allowed to move into those dangerous positions as its wonky to leave gaps in midfield.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes. He could play anywhere. The way he reads the game and always find dangerous spaces for himself, he would most likely be a fine CF. Or CB. Or CM. Or anywhere on the wings.

Think its the main reason he has barely played in his alleged "best position" - somewhere centrally on the midfield, because it limits how much you are allowed to move into those dangerous positions as its wonky to leave gaps in midfield.

All too often the case with utility players, regarded by many as jack of all trades and master of none, thus rarely gets a chance to nail down a place in their favoured position.

Back in the day Adam Al Abd was a fine example of that, whilst admittedly a player with far less skill than Moder, he still had some fine games under Gus, as a holding mdifielder, or in central defence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here