Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well it all worked out for the best in the end!

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Of course, another answer could be that car drivers are rat running. Didn't see any statistics for that. I know quite a few who instead of turning off of Lewes Road into Brighton at Falmer they are carrying on to Ditchling Road or Dyke Road Avenue. Oh well people can make statistics to read exactly as they want them to be.
Tomorrow my work takes me to Falmer then Cranleigh in Surrey. Better get the bike out and start off now? Nah, will get up tomorrow morning and get into my warm car instead.

But surely the more people who cut down on using the car for short journeys make the roads clearer for those like you who really need to drive.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
But surely the more people who cut down on using the car for short journeys make the roads clearer for those like you who really need to drive.

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? But too many car drivers react as if they're being asked to give up their children if someone suggests such plain common sense as this.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse...

The 'solution' to congestion is to encourage the vast amount of people who drive, usually on their own, for distances of less than five miles to use alternative transport. A bike is ideal - good for the individual and for the wider community - but buses, sharing cars, trains...they all help to relieve the pressure on our road system.

It's not about 'not even bothering.'

By encourage, you mean removing lanes from major city roads and making it harder for drivers?

How is a bike ideal? You've got to pedal up very steep hills, often in the rain, to get to your destination far slower. 99% of the journeys people need to make will be faster and more comfortable in a car. The solution is not to make owning a car so awkward so as to lower that percentage.

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? But too many car drivers react as if they're being asked to give up their children if someone suggests such plain common sense as this.

What do you think drivers on Lewes road are doing at 8:30am, how long do you think their journeys are? I'd say a lot of them are commuting from out of town. You say it like it's so easy to trade a car for a bike and cycle a 10 mile round trip over the downs every day. The thing that irks motorists is the erosion of the freedom of choice by a group of holier than thou cyclists who think everyone should be just like themselves.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
By encourage, you mean removing lanes from major city roads and making it harder for drivers?

How is a bike ideal? You've got to pedal up very steep hills, often in the rain, to get to your destination far slower. 99% of the journeys people need to make will be faster and more comfortable in a car. The solution is not to make owning a car so awkward so as to lower that percentage.

A bike is ideal for shorter journeys.

"You've got to pedal up very steep hills" - well, some people have to, most don't. And those that do are likely to get fitter, so it's all good.

"Often in the rain" - you'd be amazed at how rarely I get wet on my 7 mile commute. And when I do, so what? I can get changed at work. It's not a problem.

"To get to your destionation far slower" - for journeys of less than five miles, in rush hour, I guarantee that I would beat you on my bike.

Your figure of 99% is nonsense. Obviously I drive if I have a longer journey to make, but most people's commute is five miles or less. Cycling is just as fast, door to door, and it's good for you. Too many people consider any suggestion that they could change their routine as an infringement of their civil liberties.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Bus wanker :lolol::lolol:

I finally caught up with the clip, where that comes from quite recently. It perfectly captures that feeling of independence and freedom that a first car, or even a mates car provides. Frankly I am a bit past that stage and I rarely enjoy driving these days. Buses I rarely use, except to avoid paying for taxis, which I try to avoid at all costs.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
head-in-the-sand.jpg

:O:clap::banana::albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here