Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welcoming refugees. Well done Brits!

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Would have thought Priti Patel might have got a grip on this problem by now. The despicable and dangerous practice of people trafficking isn’t going to stop itself. With record numbers of people attempting the crossing since the Tory’s took charge and Brexit making the problem worse she really needs to find a solution.

Of course, the only viable solution is to provide safe passage. This would immediately negate the need for refugees to use people traffickers. If the government then had an efficient workable asylum process, the problem could be getting near to solved. They’re coming anyway so we may as well take charge of the process.

Of course, that won’t happen, and I see why it’s a controversial suggestion. Plus it would put off a lot of Tory voters. It might work though.

Priti Patel is a repulsive human being who has used the migrant crossings as a political football, dehumanising and denigrating people in genuine plight and has shown to be utterly incompetent as a Home secretary. They have been in power for 2 years elected on the back of controlling migration yet it is has sky rocketed and these channel crossings have increased six-fold since under their watch

Blood on their hands today

D

Deleted member 22389

Would have thought Priti Patel might have got a grip on this problem by now. The despicable and dangerous practice of people trafficking isn’t going to stop itself. With record numbers of people attempting the crossing since the Tory’s took charge and Brexit making the problem worse she really needs to find a solution.

Of course, the only viable solution is to provide safe passage. This would immediately negate the need for refugees to use people traffickers. If the government then had an efficient workable asylum process, the problem could be getting near to solved. They’re coming anyway so we may as well take charge of the process.

Of course, that won’t happen, and I see why it’s a controversial suggestion. Plus it would put off a lot of Tory voters. It might work though.

Yes a safe route might stop the criminals, but it would just encourage more and more people. What's a sensible number to take in every year and where do we house everyone.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ferries? Perhaps they could be anchored off shore and the fast track processing done aboard. Those that succeed come ashore to settle, those that fail go straight to Gatwick and sent home?

It’s not a simple problem to solve but the fact is they are coming.

I suppose the problem is the criminal element would still dinghy it over to avoid the processing.

I dunno, I’m just “spitballing”. How do you stop the criminals getting over? ****ed if I know. But we need a better, safer system for legit refugees / asylum seekers.

Im not sure encouraging asylum seekers everywhere to get to Calais and dinghy out to a ferry in British waters for asylum processing is sensible let alone constitutes safe passage

D

Deleted member 22389

Priti Patel is a repulsive human being who has used the migrant crossings as a political football, dehumanising and denigrating people in genuine plight and has shown to be utterly incompetent as a Home secretary. They have been in power for 2 years elected on the back of controlling migration yet it is has sky rocketed and these channel crossings have increased six-fold since under their watch

And so are the French government for not stopping the boats.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Im not sure encouraging asylum seekers everywhere to get to Calais and dinghy out to a ferry in British waters for asylum processing is sensible let alone constitutes safe passage

I’m not sure to be honest. But I would think it would be organised that they would be picked up in a ferry terminal. The legit ones can get on board, anyone trying to dinghy across the channel gets turned back, no question, just turned back. They can’t be legit.

As I say, just some suggestions. I don’t have all the answers.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes a safe route might stop the criminals, but it would just encourage more and more people. What's a sensible number to take in every year and where do we house everyone.

Did I not say? They’re all coming round to my one bedroom flat. Isn’t that what is expected of me?

;-)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm sure that if we voted for a Government who said they were going to resolve this complex situation with solutions so simple they could be summed up in three words .......... oh

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
And so are the French government for not stopping the boats.

Blame, blame, blame. Everyone and anything, but never hold the government to account for the exact thing they were elected on

Borders.jpeg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1463572097616289799[/tweet]

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I’m not sure to be honest. But I would think it would be organised that they would be picked up in a ferry terminal. The legit ones can get on board, anyone trying to dinghy across the channel gets turned back, no question, just turned back. They can’t be legit.

As I say, just some suggestions. I don’t have all the answers.

You would simply be encouraging untold numbers to get themselves to France however they can........(ie more people smuggling into and through Europe) where they can then make an application for asylum to the UK which would be processed on French territory and if you are deemed legitimate for asylum and granted refugee status you can get on a ferry.
That is madness......... i dont think you have thought this through.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
came to check if anyone using this tragic incident to grind their political axe, as expected.

there is no solution, except to simply allow every single one to cross by ferry, then house and employ them. no point to processing as those deported will just try again. i dont know who'd support that though.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
[tweet]1463572097616289799[/tweet]

Stay in France and be subjected to torture by the authorities there or take a chance in a rubber boat and hope you can make it across the channel to safety and a civilized society .
Who would not do the same in these poor folks shoes .

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What is your answer to the current problem?

I don't know, because as I have said repeatedly I wouldn't have put us in this situation in the first place. As one who wanted us exactly where we currently are, what is your answer ?

I see everyone is on board under their various accounts, so I'll take [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s advice and be off to dinner, but I'll check back tomorrow to see what your solution is :bigwave:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You would simply be encouraging untold numbers to get themselves to France however they can........(ie more people smuggling into and through Europe) where they can then make an application for asylum to the UK which would be processed on French territory and if you are deemed legitimate for asylum and granted refugee status you can get on a ferry.
That is madness......... i dont think you have thought this through.

Yeah, it would encourage many. As you say. As I see it, the two key issues are;

Criminals and undesirables need to be stopped.
The legitimate asylum seekers need to be kept safe.

I can’t see how else that could be done. It seems that every solution has accompanying problems.

What do you think could be done?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They have been in power for 2 years elected on the back of controlling migration yet it is has sky rocketed and these channel crossings have increased six-fold since under their watch

Dont let a rant get in the way of the actual figures

12 monthly asylum applications to the UK - with the latest official figures (quarter 2 ending june 2021) are lower than the previous 12 months.
Those applying and coming by boat have increased but overall the number has fallen. Increased security has made other routes less viable- hence the shift in the business model used by people traffickers

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...ny-people-do-we-grant-asylum-or-protection-to

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Telling all the headlines are “30 migrants die” and not “30 people die”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here