Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welcoming refugees. Well done Brits!

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
It may be weird because you have lost the ability to challenge orthodoxies when they are being conveyed through the beguiling aura of fame. This country irrefutably has a food problem, and it definitely affects the young and poor; but it’s nothing to do with a lack of food, quite the opposite.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ile/546588/Childhood_obesity_2016__2__acc.pdf

If that is your concern then surely you support free school meals being provided during the holidays as they have been shown to reduce childhood obesity: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/2020/0...inning-in-the-fight-against-childhood-obesity

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
If that is your concern that surely you support free school meals being provided during the holidays as they have been shown to reduce childhood obesity: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/2020/0...inning-in-the-fight-against-childhood-obesity

Excellent.

This country has a child obesity problem, not a child starvation problem.

At least we are getting somewhere now, has anyone got Saint Marcus’ mobile number or can we only communicate with him via a priest?

As for extending the school meal programme (remember it’s not free) I think those parents who want it can pay for it and/or have the cost deducted from their benefits.

Job done, what’s next in the in-tray.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Excellent.

At least we are getting somewhere now, has anyone got Saint Marcus’ mobile number or can we only communicate with him via a priest?

As for extending the school meal programme (remember it’s not free) I think those parents who want it can pay for it and/or have the cost deducted from their benefits.

You're only agreeing with yourself.

Children can need to access free-school meals as otherwise they would go hungry AND there can be a childhood obesity problem in the country. Both problems can exist at the same time. Children being provided with a healthy free-meal over the holidays provides a solution to both.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I see, and yet I thought it was about making a charitable donation.

I have no issues with charitable donations, but under the guise of which demographic will die more than another? It's a bit warped.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You're only agreeing with yourself.

Children can need to access free-school meals as otherwise they would go hungry AND there can be a childhood obesity problem in the country. Both problems can exist at the same time. Children being provided with a healthy free-meal over the holidays provides a solution to both.

I don’t think so, the link you attached was about healthy school meals helping reduce obesity not reduce starvation. Plus we can’t forget these meals are not free, they are taxpayer funded meals.

Check the links, from Govt stats, for children starting school approx 1% are classed as underweight (which does not mean starving) whereas about a third are either overweight or obese. Based on a school year being 500k pupils that the difference between 5k and 170k. That is not to say 5k are starving either they are merely underweight.

The Govt own reports highlight obesity as the single biggest issue impacting on children at the moment, costing taxpayers over 5 Bn pa.

If the cult of Saint Marcus can pull out the martyrs to their cause that would be great because on the other side we literally have millions of kids eating themselves stupid.

FACT.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I have no issues with charitable donations, but under the guise of which demographic will die more than another? It's a bit warped.

No more warped than a campaign headed by a multi millionaire footballer to suggest that children are literally starving in this country.

That’s an insult to the children around the world that actually are starving.

Those holding the conviction that children are on the point of death should be challenged, as I am doing with you.

You think children starving is a problem, I suggest if starvation is the issue let us check where it is happening. The evidence confirms it’s not the Billy Bunters, but Billy Bunter’s grand parents.

A charity wins by £100 if you can prove 2 kids or more are dying a day of starvation, which is the official rate for the elderly.

Your call.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Excellent.

on whether they get the free meals and the issue of how it''s paid for, i'm wondering why you are so against it?

Just curious as to why you feel strongly about people having less? what do you get out of that? I think even most of the ministers weren't fully in favour of it as they were whipped so why would an ordinary person be so in favour of it?

Even the right wing Press and Farage were damning !

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I don’t think so, the link you attached was about healthy school meals helping reduce obesity not reduce starvation. Plus we can’t forget these meals are not free, they are taxpayer funded meals.

Check the links, from Govt stats, for children starting school approx 1% are classed as underweight (which does not mean starving) whereas about a third are either overweight or obese. Based on a school year being 500k pupils that the difference between 5k and 170k. That is not to say 5k are starving either they are merely underweight.

The Govt own reports highlight obesity as the single biggest issue impacting on children at the moment, costing taxpayers over 5 Bn pa.

If the cult of Saint Marcus can pull out the martyrs to their cause that would be great because on the other side we literally have millions of kids eating themselves stupid.

FACT.

The fact childhood obesity is also a problem in the UK is not a reason to not provide a healthy, free, balanced meal to children eligible for free-school meals over the school holidays. If anything it will help combat obesity (as evidenced by the link I posted). Really to have a bigger impact on childhood obesity a daily free, healthy, meal should be provided to all children who want it over the holidays, not just those eligible for free school meals.

Strange that Marcus Rashford seems to bother you so much, I wonder why?

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
No more warped than a campaign headed by a multi millionaire footballer to suggest that children are literally starving in this country.

That’s an insult to the children around the world that actually are starving.

Those holding the conviction that children are on the point of death should be challenged, as I am doing with you.

You think children starving is a problem, I suggest if starvation is the issue let us check where it is happening. The evidence confirms it’s not the Billy Bunters, but Billy Bunter’s grand parents.

A charity wins by £100 if you can prove 2 kids or more are dying a day of starvation, which is the official rate for the elderly.

Your call.

The only issue with that is that i don't hold that conviction - I was merely questioning whether other factors were in play. Beginning to regret that now.

I can donate money to charity without involving it in some weird bet.

It is my call. I'm choosing to call you a bit weird. Think there might be a bit more to this than this odd crusade.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The fact childhood obesity is also a problem in the UK is not a reason to not provide a healthy, free, balanced meal to children eligible for free-school meals over the school holidays. If anything it will help combat obesity (as evidenced by the link I posted). Really to have a bigger impact on childhood obesity a daily free, healthy, meal should be provided to all children who want it over the holidays, not just those eligible for free school meals.

Finland gives every school child a free school meal, and has done since 1948. It was originally started because of poor diet, and the overall health in Finland has improved.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Only a complete **** would vilify Rashford for doing what the government should be doing.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Only a complete **** would vilify Rashford for doing what the government should be doing.

What, a **** with an agenda? Who on Earth would be such a nasty piece of work? Surely there's nobody on here that would fit the description?

Also, this seems to have strayed somewhat from the original point of the thread - I wonder how this happens?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What, a **** with an agenda? Who on Earth would be such a nasty piece of work? Surely there's nobody on here that would fit the description?

Also, this seems to have strayed somewhat from the original point of the thread - I wonder how this happens?
Hmmm. It couldn't be because Notsocunning Fergus is a racist piece of filth could it?

Just a guess.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
on whether they get the free meals and the issue of how it''s paid for, i'm wondering why you are so against it?

Just curious as to why you feel strongly about people having less? what do you get out of that? I think even most of the ministers weren't fully in favour of it as they were whipped so why would an ordinary person be so in favour of it?

Even the right wing Press and Farage were damning !

The meals aren’t free, taxpayers pay for it.

The premis behind the campaign is not true either, as a country we do not have starving children in this country.

The only people that could be considered as “having less” are furloughed parents. Those on benefits are getting more in benefits now than pre Covid, so who is getting less?

Politicians, press and Farage play the gallery, I can have my own view.

Jan 30, 2008

Taking into consideration the obscene amount of money he 'earns ' maybe he could make a sizeable donation to help out 'starving kids ' , just a thought
Regards
DF

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Taking into consideration the obscene amount of money he 'earns ' maybe he could make a sizeable donation to help out 'starving kids ' , just a thought
Regards
DF

If you had just one thought in your brain, you’d know he already does.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

It’s not “also a problem” their is no comparison between the 2 issues, child obesity is real child starvation is not, and certainly not among the poor.

If you and Saint Marcus want to combat child obesity by asking taxpayers to fund a school dinner programme for fat kids that’s fine by me but let’s have some honesty about it. It’s for fatties not skinnies.

It’s not strange at all, I have a general unease with anyone famous using their fame for political ends. Whether that’s Bono, Chris Martin, Jamie Oliver etc. If singers, cooks and footballers want to make political points, they can take the shit that comes with it.

There are plenty of famous people that do good stuff and keep their mouths shut, I was never a big fan of David Beckham, but I felt sorry for him as he did a lot of good work without shouting about it from the roof tops.

If Saint Marcus, his PR exec squeeze and BBC journalist Sally Nugent want to make waves politically so be it, I don’t have to buy what they’re selling.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Hmmm. It couldn't be because Notsocunning Fergus is a racist piece of filth could it?

Just a guess.

The left on full form here.

So someone does not agree with you about school meals, somehow that equates to ‘filth’, ‘****’, ‘racist’ and another ‘****’.

Intolerance lives strongly in compassion it seems.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The left on full form here.

So someone does not agree with you about school meals, somehow that equates to ‘filth’, ‘****’, ‘racist’ and another ‘****’.

Intolerance lives strongly in compassion it seems.
No. Cunning Fergus is a racist. How many times do I have to tell you that I am not "left wing"? I'm a centrist and I take offence at you calling me something in not. So pack it in please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here