Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Welcome to Wrexham

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The successive promotion will definitely make S3 just as popular, but whether the format will still be working when/if Wrexham start turning in a couple of dull midtable D1 seasons, and the narrative runs out of steam… not so sure.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I've not watched this programme, it's not really appealed

But I'm interested as why the two Owners are any better than other owners that spend beyond their means to get promoted?

Is it down to them being more likeable?

From the handful of league 2 games I've been to this season, the fans in the league are glad they have gone up.
What is the evidence they have spent beyond their means?

I’m pretty sure they mentioned in the documentary that the National League doesn’t have a wage cap. They actually had to reduce the wage bill on promotion to the football league as a result.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I’m pretty sure they mentioned in the documentary that the National League doesn’t have a wage cap. They actually had to reduce the wage bill on promotion to the football league as a result.
Making losses, paying massive wages at that level, paying high fees for players.

Other clubs wouldn't be celebrated in the way they are

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The successive promotion will definitely make S3 just as popular, but whether the format will still be working when/if Wrexham start turning in a couple of dull midtable D1 seasons, and the narrative runs out of steam… not so sure.
Agreed. Not sure how many seasons it's got in it. Good show though.
Making losses, paying massive wages at that level, paying high fees for players.

Because they are honest about the fact that they are buying their way up the league, it is not blood money, and they genuinely seem to have grasped that a football club is more than just 11 players on the pitch, it's a community and a town, i think.

There are good ways of buying success, and bad ways. This lot seem to be on the good side.

Let's face it, we all support a team that would be nothing without a billionaire.

It's a great scalp for teams without the money like Stockport to beat them.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

But they have higher revenue from sponsorship and ticket sales than the vast majority of teams at that level.

Which other teams have brands like TikTok and Aviation gin pumping money into them?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Let's be honest here, it's how most teams get up the league. Spending more than the competition. Not always, but usually. It's honest money which is the main thing for me and they seem like decent guys who are very genuine

Why wouldn't/shouldn't they celebrate a promotion ffs!? They were stuck in the national league for donkeys!

Edit just noticed you wrote wouldn't 'be' celebrated, not 'have', but still, my main point remains!

Last edited:

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
I've not watched this programme, it's not really appealed

But I'm interested as why the two Owners are any better than other owners that spend beyond their means to get promoted?

Is it down to them being more likeable?

From the handful of league 2 games I've been to this season, the fans in the league are glad they have gone up.
Have they spent beyond their means? I’d imagine if they are using the tv show revenues, and the sponsorships they are attracting, to help fund the club they are quite safely within their means.

As for any other owners they are prob no different than many but they took a club that has had an even worse time than we suffered in the dark years and now they have some glory. That’s enough for me to be positive about what they have done.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Their last set of accounts are a pretty good indication - They lost £6m in their National League promotion season.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Their last set of accounts are a pretty good indication - They lost £6m in their National League promotion season.
Expenditure increased in that season but turnover had also increased by 200% from the previous one.

The club owe circa £9 million to R.R. McReynolds and a lot of that money has been spent on improving the club infrastructure and staffing levels across the club (women’s’ team, community projects as well as the stadium development). Very similar to the Albion and it would be very hypocritical of our fans to point fingers at them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here