Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welcome to new Roma NSCers...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Do you think Cicero was right to unilaterally condem Catiline and have him executed under his orders or do you think by doing so it gave his enemies an excuse to have him killed?
In my humble it was more to do with Ciceros tendency to change his views and not play at left back which combined with the incredibly volatile situation after Julias Caesars murder would ultimately lead to his downfall.
After the death of Julias Caesar as Rome descended into civil war he condemned Mark Antony as an enemy of the state only then upon the defeat of Pompay the great and for Mark Antony, Octavian and Lepidus to make peace in the form of the Lex Titia commonly called the Second Triumvirate which in turn issued its own lists condemning individuals as enemies of the state.
Mark Antony looking for revenge was instrumental in ensuring Cicero’s name was at the top of the list and the young Octavian who was becoming a shrewd politician willing to sacrifice Cicero for his own needs.
Cicero having been an advocate for Rome‘s return to a republic had been a thorn in the side of Julius Caesar and his very good friend Mark Antony.
Ultimately Cicero miscalculated the intentions of Octavian and it cost him his life.
In the end the second Triumvirate broke-down Into civil war which ended with the deaths of Mark Antony, Cleopatra and Lepidus.
Leaving Octavian unchallenged to become the Emperor Augustus it finally ended all hope of any return to a republic
but Augustus was able to bring stability and with it Egypt as a new province cultured and vastly wealthy it became the breadbasket of the Empire keeping the Plebeian’s in Rome happy with free grain a tradition which was to continue for centuries.
As is often said History is written by the victor and that was true in this case

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Hello friends from Brighton! How are you doing?
This thread has made me want to join your forum; I must say I was a bit surprised to read on the forum that many consider Brighton the favorite or at least Roma an "easy" opponent, considering that in the last 6 years we have won an European cup and played in a Europa League final, a Champions League semifinal, and a Europa League semifinal... of course, the team has changed a lot since the feat against Barcelona (and not in better), but now we consider ourselves a fairly established European presence. Personally, I admire Brighton's style of play and consider De Zerbi an excellent coach; it would have been nice to see him coaching Roma. Maybe someday. I sincerely think that the passage to the next round is 55/45 in our favor, but it will definitely be a spectacular double challenge.
I'm sure most Brighton fans know that Roma are a very strong opponent, and, for me you are slight favourites because of your European history (oh, wait, we beat Ajax and Marseilles 😁).
You may have lots of flares (we don't even have bottle tops 🤷🏼‍♂️) but...,🎵we have Roberrrrrto deZerbi 🎵.
Enjoy the games 👍😎👍

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
In my humble it was more to do with Ciceros tendency to change his views and not play at left back which combined with the incredibly volatile situation after Julias Caesars murder would ultimately lead to his downfall.
After the death of Julias Caesar as Rome descended into civil war he condemned Mark Antony as an enemy of the state only then upon the defeat of Pompay the great and for Mark Antony, Octavian and Lepidus to make peace in the form of the Lex Titia commonly called the Second Triumvirate which in turn issued its own lists condemning individuals as enemies of the state.
Mark Antony looking for revenge was instrumental in ensuring Cicero’s name was at the top of the list and the young Octavian who was becoming a shrewd politician willing to sacrifice Cicero for his own needs.
Cicero having been an advocate for Rome‘s return to a republic had been a thorn in the side of Julius Caesar and his very good friend Mark Antony.
Ultimately Cicero miscalculated the intentions of Octavian and it cost him his life.
In the end the second Triumvirate broke-down Into civil war which ended with the deaths of Mark Antony, Cleopatra and Lepidus.
Leaving Octavian unchallenged to become the Emperor Augustus it finally ended all hope of any return to a republic
but Augustus was able to bring stability and with it Egypt as a new province cultured and vastly wealthy it became the breadbasket of the Empire keeping the Plebeian’s in Rome happy with free grain a tradition which was to continue for centuries.
Wow...ChatGpt or whatever, fantastico 👍

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do you think Cicero was right to unilaterally condem Catiline and have him executed under his orders or do you think by doing so it gave his enemies an excuse to have him killed?
That’s a question that still keeps me awake at nights.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This thread has made me want to join your forum; I must say I was a bit surprised to read on the forum that many consider Brighton the favorite or at least Roma an "easy" opponent, considering that in the last 6 years we have won an European cup and played in a Europa League final, a Champions League semifinal, and a Europa League semifinal... of course, the team has changed a lot since the feat against Barcelona (and not in better), but now we consider ourselves a fairly established European presence. Personally, I admire Brighton's style of play and consider De Zerbi an excellent coach; it would have been nice to see him coaching Roma. Maybe someday. I sincerely think that the passage to the next round is 55/45 in our favor, but it will definitely be a spectacular double challenge.
Hello.

I see it as a 50/50 tie. If we can get Mitoma fit and firing he is our player who can make a difference in tight games like this.

Brighton have a very good record against strong teams. Our recent record against Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc suggests we win more of these sort of games than we lose. Put us up against a team who can only defend, and we often struggle.

We were very proud to be playing against the great European clubs we played in our group. And it's fair to say, we are very proud to be playing you. Many people here were supporting us when we were the 91st or 92nd best team in England, so there's still disbelief when we realise where we are. But when we see the players we see every week, we realise that we have as good a chance as anyone of winning this tournament.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
thank you, unfortunately there are and always will be imbeciles, there are friends who don't even watch the match but go after the opposing fan, how sad, what I can tell you but there is no need is not to go around alone in small groups near the stadium, absolutely
It is not the same over here. You will be most welcome. Perhaps your support needs to grow up.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Unless you have the same team as the ones that won those titles I would say your trophy cabinet is largely irrelevant. Leeds fans and the like often come on here and tell us that past glories will affect current matches. It won’t. If you have the better team now that will be important. The rest is for nostalgic trips down the pub.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm always optimistic, but Roma could be where our adventure comes to an end. The historically strong European clubs make a habit of winning and we're still the starry eyed kid watching the grown ups!

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
II sincerely think that the passage to the next round is 55/45 in our favor, but it will definitely be a spectacular double challenge.
That’s not how the betting market sees it

IMG_5574.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seemingly we could do with some clarification of train travel, around Italy from 06-08, from our new Italian friends.

gladiaasroma

Feb 23, 2024
I'm sure most Brighton fans know that Roma are a very strong opponent, and, for me you are slight favourites because of your European history (oh, wait, we beat Ajax and Marseilles ).😁
You may have lots of flares (we don't even have bottle tops ) but...,we have Roberrrrrto deZerbi .🤷🏼‍♂️🎵🎵
Enjoy the games 👍😎👍
De Zerbi great coach trust me......

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seemingly we could do with some clarification of train travel, around Italy from 06-08, from our new Italian friends.
Indeed - @gladiaasroma are you able to help us with the National Strike on Friday 8th March.

A lot of us are expecting to get trains from Rome up to Florence, Milan, Verona, Pisa and Venice to fly home.

gladiaasroma

Feb 23, 2024
Non penso che la maggioranza credano che la Roma sarà facile come opposizione, però considerando la qualità di calcio che giochiamo, è possibile che vinceremo - 50/50. Non siete così forti come Milan, Sporting, Leverkusen o Liverpool, neanche noi. E, come è il nostro debutto in una competizione europea, siamo entusiasti di continuare contro avversari con grandi storie europee - AEK, Ajax, Marseille e adesso Roma. Un po' più interessante che Servette, TSC e Qarabag!

Plus there's a huge richness of Rome based puns and jokes available.

If you come to Brighton for the match you'll have a great time. Fun city with a good nightlife and alternative culture. Close to London, and easily accessible from Gatwick. Just that it's f***ing miserable when the rain and the cold come sweeping in off the sea in stormy weather.

There won't be violence from our fans, frankly we're one of the softest fanbases in England. So hopefully the Roma ultras wont come just to start something.
I'm happy to know your city and we know you as fans..... there will be no problems for you here in Rome

gladiaasroma

Feb 23, 2024
Indeed - @gladiaasroma are you able to help us with the National Strike on Friday 8th March.

A lot of us are expecting to get trains from Rome up to Florence, Milan, Verona, Pisa and Venice to fly home.
National transport strike on 8 March: trains, buses and metro at risk, timetables in Milan and Rome

NEW
Unrest and strikes coming on March 8th. On the occasion of International Women's Day, abstention from work is expected in some public and private sectors. These include public transport, healthcare and education. From 9pm on Tuesday 7th to 9pm on Wednesday 8th March a national strike was called for all categories in addition to a strike called by Cub Trasporti from midnight to 9pm on Wednesday 8th March. The strike was called for workers' safety, for the 60-year pension, wages and careers without gender discrimination but also against changes to citizenship income and against precariousness. The Slai Cobas union said it was "in support of the struggle of workers/women with permanent contracts, fixed-term contracts, precarious and atypical contracts". But let's see the possible inconveniences for citizens.

Trains, FS and guaranteed bands
The most important repercussions concern transport with the national transport strike called by Cub and Slai Cobas which risks paralyzing large cities starting from the railway stations. The FS Italiane Group writes in a note: «The trains indicated in the list of guaranteed trips will run during the hours 6-9 and 18-21». In particular, on the evening of Tuesday 7th, trains with scheduled departure by 9pm and arrival at the final destination by 10pm will travel. On Wednesday 8th March, trains with departure time from the station of origin after 6am and arrival at final destination by 9 am; trains with scheduled departure after 6pm will circulate in the afternoon. No changes are foreseen to the circulation of Frecce and Intercity trains. In fact, the note states that «they will circulate regularly and Trenitalia is committed to ensuring almost all connections». The Malpensa Express airport connection may be subject to limitations and cancellations. As regards the airport connection, replacement buses will be provided, without intermediate stops, for any trips not made between Milan Cadorna and Malpensa Airport (from Milan the buses will leave from Via Paleocapa, 1) and between Stabio and Malpensa Airport

gladiaasroma

Feb 23, 2024

In the capital the agitation will affect the Atac network, the peripheral buses managed by Roma Tpl and Cotral. During the night between the 7th and the 8th the service of the night bus lines is not guaranteed. On the other hand, «the service of the daytime lines which have trips scheduled beyond midnight and that of the night trips of the Atac lines 38-44-61-86-170-246-301-451-664-881-916-980 and of the lines Rome Tpl 314-404-444". On the 8th «journeys are guaranteed on the entire network from the start of daytime service at 8.30 am and from 5.00 pm to 8.00 pm; service is not guaranteed on the entire network from 8.30 am to 5.00 pm and from 8.00 pm to the end of the daytime service.

gladiaasroma

Feb 23, 2024
Unless you have the same team as the ones that won those titles I would say your trophy cabinet is largely irrelevant. Leeds fans and the like often come on here and tell us that past glories will affect current matches. It won’t. If you have the better team now that will be important. The rest is for nostalgic trips down the pub.
Today's Roma is the same one that reached the Europa League final last year, lost on penalties and stolen by a terrible referee called Taylor, but I can assure you that having experience in European matches counts a lot in these direct clashes but and it's also true that a team like yours can put anyone in difficulty and start gaining experience in Europe.... there's always a first time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here