Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Welbz is injured.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yes but lets not forget Luton finished 12th in the Championship last season, and a ball played over the top like that would be hard to control at any level. Let's give him some credit aye?

I did. I said he played well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Quite a few of them probably did.

On the basis that plenty of them are young and training football every day.

Name please. The only one who improved for me was Welbs

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yes an injury is never good but where welbeck is concerned it's maybe good to get it out the way early.
Plenty of other strikers keen to impress and all capable of playing alongside eachother.
Then welbeck gives us a boost for the second part of the season.
What's interesting with our strikers is the options they all give potter in various formations and they are probably happy to rotate depending on tactics required to win the match.
As you say a new expensive striker coming in may not be as flexible in different systems and also get the hump if he isn't playing everygame and may be disruptive.

If he is any good, stays fit, he plays. The others may get the hump, but he will get picked constantly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not ideal. A crocked Welbeck, a desperate Andone, two hotheads and a DJ.

Didn't work out too badly for Massive Attack.

And with this massive attack, who needs new strikers?

Other opinions are, of course, available.

Edit, hello, bw2 incoming. I wonder what he's saying?

Said nobody, ever.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I think you'll find that many of us feel it is dull to keep saying the same thing. Say it a couple of times. Club does or doesn't sign a striker. Dullards drone on and on, eventually pointing the finger at The Club (#clueless). Then every time a striker gets injured, or we don't score, out comes the same old mantra. This has been going on for years. If you think our club is run by morons, look into elsewhere. I gather there is a top outfit up the road, the Sellhurst Park outfit, as talkshite probably call them.

You have a right to say it, certainly, and Croydon is perpetually in waiting for you if you finally snap but, FFS I also have a right to say it is dull and irritating to point fingers at others who will obviously disagree as your opening gambit.

Personally I would like to see another striker brought in, but I'm not that fussed to be honest. Yet some on here . . . :bla::bla::bla:

:facepalm:

So I can't be critical about our attacking recruitment despite the club publicly stating their aim of becoming a top 10 club?

Stay quite, clap to 'Put your hands up for Brighton' and leave with 5 mins left or support Palace are the options then? And you call me clueless.

If you're bored of people's opinions then maybe avoid message boards.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So I can't be critical about our attacking recruitment despite the club publicly stating their aim of becoming a top 10 club?

Stay quite, clap to 'Put your hands up for Brighton' and leave with 5 mins left or support Palace are the options then? And you call me clueless.

If you're bored of people's opinions then maybe avoid message boards.

I have a jolly good time chatting with thoughtful people on NSC, thanks. Nothing personal but I thought your post was pathetic and was exercising my right to say so. And so it goes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You obviously didn't notice much of Webster last season.

He was too busy attempting to take over the club to halt the clueless failure to singe a 20 goal a season striker. Do keep up!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are you against all clubs signing players in general?

Why did we sign Mwepu?

Why sign Welbeck and Maupay? We could have trained our young players to step up.

I suspct [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] is simply tired of thhe BEDWETTERS who DEMAND we singe a striker or ELSE.

Like it's that easy and like they could do better.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Completely agree but if he doesn't want to spend it (and I wouldn't blame him, he can happily recoup everything he has put into the club, he's earnt that right) then don't say we are aiming to be a top 10 club. If you have that ambition then HE needs to spend, especially considering the incoming transfer fees and wages that have been received this summer

This is pretty much where I'm at. We CAN (and would be well within our rights to) go with what we have again. But if we truly have that objective, then the current bunch just don't cut it I'm afraid. They're not s***, we don't need to sell them all to Crawley, it's just that currently, they aren't going to get us into the top 10. Which is to be expected, as they're all either quite injury prone or quite young and inexperienced, with the exception of Maupay, who I'm hoping can up his game this season. As much as it seems like we have the same discussion and go in the same circles every window, the fact remains that if we want top 10, we need to invest up top, and to be honest, based on the links so far that have been confirmed by Naylor and Owen, it seems the club agree and are far from content with just 'going with what we have' again.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Uncle Tony has a real problem with the cost of strikers going back to his comments on Billy Sharp. I cannot say that i disagree, but we certainly need one. Our current crop of bargain basement offerings are not going to get us up the table.

Bloom is a big fan of statistical analysis. And the stats show that strikers are over-valued. We're gonna have to Moneyball it if we want to get any higher in the table because we can't compete financially with the big boys. Moneyball is all about finding value in the face of popular opinion. The popular opinion here is that we MUST sign a striker if we want to improve. I suggest that stats show that this is not true. At least in the case where we have to overpay and not get good value. What we need is to convert those Xg into goals and I think the metrics show that this can be achieved by finding value in improving the team in the other positions to improve our goal haul from the other positions other than striker. This is why Tony Bloom repeatedly refuses to "get is checkbook aaaaaaat" every transfer window with regards to strikers.

It really isn't as simple as Buy Striker = Get Goals. But then we do have some rather simple people on here.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Should we be surprised? no of course not.

We’ve identified two strikers so far that fit our budget, age group, skill requirements (via a huge amount of analysis) and character profile. One decided to play for Benfica, the other Fiorentina. That’s the level we’re operating at now and we have people complaining. Convincing players Brighton is a better choice than these two clubs is going to take some time.

If you want us to spend £40m on a striker who’s not quite right, see West Ham for details

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It is what it is really. Welbeck is never going to play anywhere near 38 games in a season, if you can get 20-25 games from him it is good and all that can be expected.

There's Maupay, Connolly, Welbeck, Zeqiri, Andone, Tau, Locadia in the squad as well as Trossard who has played quite a few games as striker. While some of these can play in multiple positions, you cant just keep adding more and more players because it ****s up dressing room atmosphere as well as training sessions.

Locadia maybe in the squad on paper but he isn't in the squad nor will he be in the 25.

Zeqiri has shown nowhere near any level as a PL striker/scorer. Maybe in time, but it's not likely to be in the near future + Potter seems to like him more as a LWB.

Connolly blows hit and cold, fluffs way to many great chances for his odd goals scored. Maybe this will be his season, I wouldn't be relying on that for our survival, a secondary option at best.

Tau isn't consistent enough yet and looks more an attacking mid than out and out striker.

Maupay has it in his locker but seems to have lost his way and his mojo after a great start. Reminds me of how Rooney went from frontline goalscorer to deeper playing, struggling for that previous earlier spark.

Trossard is skillful, a bit all or nothing. Sometimes unplayable, sometimes a tad anonymous. One of the obvious attacking starters of them all imho.

Andone is decent enough, good player if not a world beater, but clearly a nutjob, remains to be seen if his eccentricities can be tamed sufficiently.

Welbeck is quality but injury prone, a classy player but will be out a lot, so a bonus option if available rather than a striker who can be counted on week in/out.

We absolutely need our new Muzza, Ulloa, our poor man's equivalent of Cavani or even Bamford.

Someone who is a clear starter, can head the ball, who knows where the goal is and can turn those clear cut chances into goals.

We have a lot of nice stocking fillers and no main present.

Seagulls1974

Banned
Jul 15, 2021
It is what it is really. Welbeck is never going to play anywhere near 38 games in a season, if you can get 20-25 games from him it is good and all that can be expected.

There's Maupay, Connolly, Welbeck, Zeqiri, Andone, Tau, Locadia in the squad as well as Trossard who has played quite a few games as striker. While some of these can play in multiple positions, you cant just keep adding more and more players because it ****s up dressing room atmosphere as well as training sessions.

Incorrect. You can add more to this list. Just 1 more and hope that he has a better season than the previous forwards. I know it’s not easy BUT we really really need a striker !!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I have a jolly good time chatting with thoughtful people on NSC, thanks. Nothing personal but I thought your post was pathetic and was exercising my right to say so. And so it goes.

Happy to debate anything with you, sorry if I wasn't thoughtful enough in my musings for you. I don't post much so not sure why I was the target of your frustration about constantly posting the same message but I'm sorry if the great HWT thinks my post was pathetic. Must try harder to impress the only opinion that matters.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Happy to debate anything with you, sorry if I wasn't thoughtful enough in my musings for you. I don't post much so not sure why I was the target of your frustration about constantly posting the same message but I'm sorry if the great HWT thinks my post was pathetic. Must try harder to impress the only opinion that matters.

Oh dear...

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Yes an injury is never good but where welbeck is concerned it's maybe good to get it out the way early.
Plenty of other strikers keen to impress and all capable of playing alongside eachother.
Then welbeck gives us a boost for the second part of the season.
What's interesting with our strikers is the options they all give potter in various formations and they are probably happy to rotate depending on tactics required to win the match.
As you say a new expensive striker coming in may not be as flexible in different systems and also get the hump if he isn't playing everygame and may be disruptive.
Imo up front is the one position where it's best not to rotate too much. You want strikers playing week in week out to build consistency and confidence. Rotating the forward line (or having forwards in and out due to injury) makes it hard to build consistency and get into a goal scoring form. Of course, there are some players that do well coming off the bench, but not all forwards are like that.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Didn't work out too badly for Massive Attack.

And with this massive attack, who needs new strikers?

Other opinions are, of course, available.

Edit, hello, bw2 incoming. I wonder what he's saying?

Said nobody, ever.

I could say the same for you HWT. At least my opinion is based in reality. Quantity of strikers is irrelevant. 1 is good enough. And he is crocked (again).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here