Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
You weren't calling him that 165 hours ago.
Nobody was calling him our only natural finisher 165 hours ago.

Welbeck is out of contract.
Welbeck's contract isn't chicken feed.

Like it or not (and the not is perfectly understandable) all other strikers are contracted and have (a currently low) value.;

The club have had 34 games to say 'wow we got lucky here and need to get him to commit to next season' - it hasn't.
Us fans have had 34 games to say 'wow we got lucky here and need to get him to commit to next season' - we haven't.

He was great today, he wasn't great last week.

He's had plenty of games in the latter and less in the former.

'We' can't complain about the status quo then vote for more of the same.

I did as it happens. I’ll dig it out but posted last week that he’s our natural finisher and we should look to sign him up again. Sorry. :wink:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Mrs asked me pre game about Welbz
I said he s not a 20 goal a season striker BUT if we keep him Fit he can contribute
Today he did 😍

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Spot on. Some people on here have very short memories. He was absolutely CRAP for months on end, offering far less than the woefully out of sorts Maupay in that time. He's been alright for two or three months though, although even then he missed that pen against West Brom.

I'd give him another year though, I do want Connolly out on loan though. He is nowhere near good enough at the moment.

I agree he was total turd until Southampton away but has been head and shoulders above everyone else since. Out of all our strikers he’s the only one I’d like to see still here next season.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Absolute class and we should get him for another couple of years if poss.

But I've never seen him do that turn for Utd, Arsenal or England. One season training with Pascal and - coincidence ? Don't think so :wink:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Spot on. Some people on here have very short memories. He was absolutely CRAP for months on end, offering far less than the woefully out of sorts Maupay in that time. He's been alright for two or three months though, although even then he missed that pen against West Brom.

I'd give him another year though, I do want Connolly out on loan though. He is nowhere near good enough at the moment.

Ha ha you had a viewpoint right from the moment he stepped through the door that you didn’t rate him, of course you’re going to see the negatives in his contributions to reinforce that view.

We’ve been better every time his been in the side imho. Home to Liverpool, away at Villa, West Ham, then unfortunately he got injured.

I love this short memories as if you’ve got the only objective view.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Undoubted quality. Clearly a really positive influence on and off the pitch. 1-2 year deal an absolute no brainer.
And that goal. Ooof. Reminded me of that Mooy goal in it's elegance. Pure ability.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ha ha! You and Swansman still won’t admit defeat on this!
Eh? Where were you when he was absolute dog shit for months on end? I don't recall asking you to "admit defeat" then.

I'm just calling it as it is. He has been fine for 2 or 3 months, but terrible before then. I hope he carries on being fine but don't pretend the previous few months didn't happen.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Eh? Where were you when he was absolute dog shit for months on end? I don't recall asking you to "admit defeat" then.

I'm just calling it as it is. He has been fine for 2 or 3 months, but terrible before then. I hope he carries on being fine but don't pretend the previous few months didn't happen.
Don't think he was that bad early in the season. Scored a great goal Vs villa got the pen Vs Liverpool and scored against Sheffield utd.

When he has started he has not let us down. Can't remember a really bad performance where fans were slagging him off ?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

I'm not sure that's accurate. Isn't it correct that the manager failed to pick him and / or he was injured. It was only in Feb/March when it was clear that Maupay alone up front was likely to take us down that they came up with the plan of Welbeck and Maupay playing wide, and Welbeck has taken his chances. So it's not fair to blame a player who was not picked. Welbeck has been decent when picked. Don't get me wrong, we are still even with him we are still a goal scorer short of a very good side.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I was here defending him from ridiculous abuse he was recieving from posters on here who made their mind up about him before he even played for us. He wasn’t that bad at all. Was inured for 6 weeks between December and February.

Because you called him useless when he signed and subsequently, you’re really struggling to give him the credit he deserves now. He has been much better than ‘fine’ and wasn’t ‘dog shit for months on end’ at all.

Has now got as many goals from open play and more assists than Maupay in over 1,000 less minutes of game time. Very good player and by far our best attacker.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was here defending him from ridiculous abuse he was recieving from posters on here who made their mind up about him before he even played for us. He wasn’t that bad at all. Was inured for 6 weeks between December and February.

Because you called him useless when he signed and subsequently, you’re really struggling to give him the credit he deserves now. He has been much better than ‘fine’ and wasn’t ‘dog shit for months on end’ at all.

Has now got as many goals from open play and more assists than Maupay in over 1,000 less minutes of game time. Very good player and by far our best attacker.

Ouchy.

Waiting till the very end before sticking the knife in Welbz back. :lolol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He’s the first truly Premier League quality striker we’ve had since we came up IMHO, no other striker we’ve had here since we came up could have done what he did today

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Completely agree.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
There's no "mounting evidence", just opinions.

They are both good or at least decent PL strikers. I admit that. The whole "my favorite player is good and I've said it all along and now I want a cookie and by the way his competitor for a spot in the team is bad!" thing is not for me. I'm turning 32 in a couple of weeks and way past the "my daddy is stronger than yours" shite - I'm happy Welbeck is doing well.

You’re nearly 32?! I did not see that coming Swanny! [emoji846]

You have reguarly taken needless digs at Welbeck throughout the season, usually around the fact he’s got a few caps for England, you must admit that?

And it’s not about ‘my dad being stronger than your dad’, it’s voicing my opinion about our players. I desperately want them all to do well for Brighton and have faith faith that Welbeck will but I have no confidence in Maupay at all at the moment.

Welbeck really is a much better striker than Maupay, I very much respect your football opinion and am surprised you can’t see that. Welbeck has got as many goals from open play as Maupay this season in over 1,000 less minutes on the pitch. Running around a lot is great, but I’d rather Maupay could pass the ball and finish at a Premier League level which he simply hasn’t this season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You’re nearly 32?! I did not see that coming Swanny! [emoji846]

You have reguarly taken needless digs at Welbeck throughout the season, usually around the fact he’s got a few caps for England, you must admit that?

And it’s not about ‘my dad being stronger than your dad’, it’s voicing my opinion about our players. I desperately want them all to do well for Brighton and have faith faith that Welbeck will but I have no confidence in Maupay at all at the moment.

Welbeck really is a much better striker than Maupay, I very much respect your football opinion and am surprised you can’t see that. Welbeck has got as many goals from open play as Maupay this season in over 1,000 less minutes on the pitch. Running around a lot is great, but I’d rather Maupay could pass the ball and finish at a Premier League level which he simply hasn’t this season.

Yes I did. I thought that over the November-December spell where he played 7 out of 9 games (until he got injured) that he was quite poor or at least pretty ****ing far from the clinical mega-superstar England international some saw him as. The goals against Villa and Sheffield were nice but aside from that he was frequently hiding (one of the strikers with the least ball touches per 90 minutes) and fecking up as many scoring opportunities as (insert Brighton player of your choice).

He had a slow couple of games since returning from injury but for the last two months I think he's been very good, participating more in build up and in pressuring their midfielders and defenders.

As for "running around a lot", its a pretty underestimated and important quality in a sport where players average somewhere around 90 seconds on the ball. Neal Maupay being one of league leaders both in the applying pressure categories as well as "ball retained within 5 seconds of player applying pressure" has been pretty important in the impressive defensive performances over the season as well as the chance creation. To me they are two quite different strikers with some similarities (one of them being that they are both above average in passing statistics, despite some saying this is one of Maupays weaknesses).

If I could only have one of them on the pitch, it would still be Maupay. But I think they are working quite well. Maupay is unpredictable in his movements and draws a lot of attention and movements from their defenders, and Welbeck is good at using the spaces this creates. Unfortunately none of them are really able to play alone up front which is concerning as it decreases the tactical flexibility quite a lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here