Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weird phone call from 'Microsoft'

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
My missus had a phone call today - from a blocked number - telling her they were from microsoft and that we had reported a problem with our laptop. He wanted her to switch on the computer and go through some steps to clean up the computer and make it go faster. Thankfully she turned down this kind opportunity. Seems a bit of a direct approach by some kind of phishing person although she said it sounded like they were in a call centre with a brad Indian accent - anyone else had something like this occur?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We had that too last week - told me my virus scanner hadn't worked or somesuch thing...I said thanks and hung up too....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I received an email from neighbourhood watch about this at work. They try to get you to type something into the run bar on your pc. It's a generic command that brings up harmless files that look like a virus is affecting the computer.

The idea being that they then get permission to access your computer to sort it out, giving them access to any information stored on your computer (passwords, bank details, etc) and sometimes they even have the cheek to charge you for their services.

Its a con. If they call you, hang up.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I know its cheaper to centralise everything, but in my opinion Its bad for customer service to have issues resolved abroad.

The problem now is that most people are so worried about being scammed I should imagine its really hard for these call centres to do any business at all, thanks to these scammers.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
All forms of cold calling should be illegal. I just don't understand why its allowed - its not a legitimate sales technique and it just exploits the vulnerable.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Its fun to string them along a bit first.

I love stringing cold callers along. A few years back I received a cold call for patio doors. I said I was very interested and spent about 15 minutes on the phone with the guy deciding what sort of doors, price and everything, then eventually he asked for my address so a rep could come round and sort it all out for me. So I told him...... FIRST FLOOR FLAT.......

Well if they're going to cold call, they should check first.

He swore at me.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I love stringing cold callers along. A few years back I received a cold call for patio doors. I said I was very interested and spent about 15 minutes on the phone with the guy deciding what sort of doors, price and everything, then eventually he asked for my address so a rep could come round and sort it all out for me. So I told him...... FIRST FLOOR FLAT.......

Well if they're going to cold call, they should check first.

He swore at me.

I don't think it's clever to be impolite or waste time with a legitimate salesman, they're only trying to earn an honest living. All it takes is a polite 'no thanks' and hang up.

I don't think it's clever to be impolite or waste time with a legitimate salesman, they're only trying to earn an honest living. All it takes is a polite 'no thanks' and hang up.

I can see you pov but I bought some windows from anglian once and for a long time they used to ring up endlessly trying to sell me guttering, fascia and any other shite they thought of. Eventually I had one too many calls and I politely told him I wasn't interested as I could not afford it. He replied 'but you dont have to pay for 6 months' so I politely told him once again that I could not afford it and he replied 'but you dont have to pay anything for the next 6 months' so I politely told him that I could no afford it and he replied..... I'm sure you get the picture.

So I asked if he knew I had in my bank account at the end of each month and, puzzled, he replied 'of course not'. So I told him 'well I f***ing do and I cant afford it now dont ever call me again' and hung up.

Anglian have never called me again.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

In my view a legitimate salesman would not cold call. Its an odeous technique that relies on hooking vulnerable people in order to exploit them for financial gain.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Had a call from a saleman once it went something like this

him: Just drove past your house, and though how nice it would look wit a conservatory.

Me: no you didn't.

Him: I did

Him: How do you know I didn't.

Me: I live in a first floor flat, and if you had driven past, you would have realised this.

Him: oh! (puts phone down)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In my view a legitimate salesman would not cold call. Its an odeous technique that relies on hooking vulnerable people in order to exploit them for financial gain.

Not really, it's a scattergun approach in that if you phone up enough people asking if they're looking to install a new kitchen/double glazing, then chances are that you'll come across someone who is and get to send a salesman to them before a competitor.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

why, if one of these twats wants to ring me on a sunday evening they get what they deserve, I even had an argument with one of them once who didnt believe I was regsitered with the TPS, I dont take to being suggested I am a liar on the phone.

If I want to buy something I research it on the internet and make a decision myself rather than being pushed into it. These "legitimate Salesmen" prey on the vulnerable.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
the areshole just called back this evening saying he had spoken to my wife. Apparently he is calling from windows support and the "international router system had informed him that my computer is infected with spyware, malicious software and all that kind of junk files and could i tell him what kind of windows package i had." I suggested that as I worked in IT my computer was fine and that as he had called yesterday the police were tracking the call. He hung up.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Sorry, but bollocks to them. If a salesman can't be arsed to check if my address warrants a call for patio doors (i.e. not a first floor flat), then I will waste as much of their time as a I possibly can.

They annoy me, so I annoy them back.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here