Weekend in Paris

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Staying in Montmarte via airbnb (there are loads of tiny little apartments in Paris); getting up to see the sunrise from Sacre Couer; going underground to the Catacombs (eating fabulous French macaroons while in the queue); walking Quai de la Mégisserie looking in the petshops alongside the Seine; going to the Magic museum (if you like old school magic); going up the Eiffel tower (only worth it if you prebook a time slot weeks in advance to avoid any queueing); space inavder graffiti art spotting.......... great memories of our trip to Paris.

Marais District, St-Paul Metro stop line 1 was the area that Mrs P and I stayed to celebrate my 40th Birthday rather more than 10 years ago. I assume the aforementioned magic museum was the one that we visited (and enjoyed) which is in that district. At the time it was a nice area with good value hotel and places to eat. Did the usual touristy things, in fact we arrived via Eurostar and "did" the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe the same afternoon!

I think that the Eiffel Tower is a fascinating and elegant structure, it came close to be being scrapped apparently but was allegedly saved due to its usefulness for early radio experiments!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Marais District, St-Paul Metro stop line 1 was the area that Mrs P and I stayed to celebrate my 40th Birthday rather more than 10 years ago. I assume the aforementioned magic museum was the one that we visited (and enjoyed) which is in that district. At the time it was a nice area with good value hotel and places to eat. Did the usual touristy things, in fact we arrived via Eurostar and "did" the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe the same afternoon!

The Marais used to be dead cheap. When I first started hanging out there, it seemed to be popular only with Jews and homosexuals - couldn't quite work out why, as there are some fabulous old buildings there and some very decent restaurants.

Since the late-80s, it's gradually got trendier and trendier and doesn't have quite the same vibe - the buildings are still fabulous though. I love sitting in the Place de Vosges and watching the world go by

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
A number of suggestions have included a visit to the Louvre. You don't say when your wife's birthday weekend is but bear in mind admission to the Louvre is free every first Sunday of the month. There can be a long wait in the queue at the best of times but the whole of Paris seems to turn up on those first Sundays.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I don't think I'll go in the Louvre. I am one of these people who have to read 'everything' when I go in a museum...much to the annoyance of my good lady.

Some excellent advice on here; sods law that the Eurostar site is down at the moment!

OurPrice

Nov 22, 2012
I liked Paris. We walked around a lot, rather than the Metro. We also avoided going in the Museums, mostly because of the queues! We stayed in the St Germain district, which I would really recommend. Great location, being within walking distance of most central attractions, and quite a nice vibe there. We lucked out and found a lovely Jazz restaurant and had amazing food in a low lit yet full of character setting with pianist and French lady smoothly providing the audio. Hotel Artus is where we stayed - which I would recommend. Great location, reasonable price, and excellent facilities - have a look on Trip Advisor for further details. Trip down the Seine is ok (can get cold though), and Sacre Coeur is well worth a visit. Moulin Rouge is as camp as a row of pink tents, but is a good laugh - just make sure you have had a few beers before you go!! Have fun!

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
As t'other half was strictly veggie at the time we found a Vegetarian restaurant for tea one night, only to find out everyone else there was also on a weekend break from Brighton :confused:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
As t'other half was strictly veggie at the time we found a Vegetarian restaurant for tea one night, only to find out everyone else there was also on a weekend break from Brighton :confused:

What...EVERYONE.?...we're they on a coach holiday sponsored by quorn?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Paris is not good for veggies. There used to be a veggie restaurant in the Marais but it went further and further downhill. I tend to eat Italian or couscous - although there is a restaurant on the edge of the Marais that has veggie dishes on the menu - the only non-veggie restaurant in Paris that I've ever seen do that
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau..._Bistrot_de_la_Place-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Great city
we (that's my daughter and me) and she really is not a museum type girl but she really enjoyed our 6 days there, one thing if you are going at anytime for longer than a weekend then get a weekly Metro ticket

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Slightly off the wall but Port De La Villette has the Science Museum which in traditional Gallic flare is bloody good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports