Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weekend in Berlin

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Polish restaurants in the East are tremendous. Berlin Wall Museum is a must. Riverboats history tours were good. Get yourself up to the top of the TV Tower, stunning views. It's a fantastic city.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Forgot about this thread! Me and the missus had a brilliant time celebrating my 40th, and are certainly going to go back. We saw a hell of a lot in a short amount of time, but there's so much more of this fantastic city to see. The whole place has a great vibe and feels so relaxed - we couldn't believe how quiet it seemed for such a big city too. Its easy to get around, plenty to do & is so close when travelling by plane. Definitely recommend....
Oh, and yes...the hotel spa was naked!

Last edited:

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Anyone got any info on Union Berlin FC? They're playing at home when I'm there over Easter... could be tempted! Price of tickets isn't obvious.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
out of interest... have you been before?? if so, recommended?

I've been a few times. I saw the derby game against Hertha BSC a few seasons ago plus a few other league games. I'd recommend it for sure. I prefer to watch Hertha though. The reason is purely because when I first moved here in '97 Brighton were pretty crap and playing at Withdean and the appeal of a nice historic, and recently renovated stadium, with top-league football was greater than that of more lower league footy in the then undeveloped Union ground. Go, you will not regret it.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
out of interest... have you been before?? if so, recommended?

Highly recommend. If you want an old school rocking atmosphere with three sides of terracing, cheap beer, cheap food, and very cheap tickets, then the 'stadion-an-der-alten-foersterei' is the place to be. The 20,000 stadium is pretty much sold out every home game - apart from the seated section which is usually about two thirds full. If you book early enough, you will get tickets no problem. I pay 16 euro for a ticket in sektor 3 which runs along the touchline. The exception being St Pauli which is a members only fixture for ticket sales, usually until about a week before kick off. The booking site is quite user friendly with the assist of google translate. Tickets can be printed at home.

The club is fan owned with a very strong and dedicated 'fan culture' and 'against modern football' ethos. No £5 bottles of Budweiser here.

The 'Union Tankstelle' is the place to drink and eat pre match. Similar setup to the Swan. Last time I was out for a game a few weeks ago, they opened at 9.30am due to the early kick off at 13.00. 2.50 for beer and 1.50 for Worst - Slightly cheaper than our beloved Amex.

The ground is located in the south eastern suburb of Kopenick on an S Bahn line - I forget which one, I don't have a map to hand. After leaving the Tankstelle near the station, you have the memories of Withdean flooding back - You have a pleasant stroll through a small forest to get to the ground.

The standard of football in Bundesliga 2 may not be as good as the championship, but imo, the 'football experience' is definitely in another league.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Highly recommend. If you want an old school rocking atmosphere with three sides of terracing, cheap beer, cheap food, and very cheap tickets, then the 'stadion-an-der-alten-foersterei' is the place to be. The 20,000 stadium is pretty much sold out every home game - apart from the seated section which is usually about two thirds full. If you book early enough, you will get tickets no problem. I pay 16 euro for a ticket in sektor 3 which runs along the touchline. The exception being St Pauli which is a members only fixture for ticket sales, usually until about a week before kick off. The booking site is quite user friendly with the assist of google translate. Tickets can be printed at home.

The club is fan owned with a very strong and dedicated 'fan culture' and 'against modern football' ethos. No £5 bottles of Budweiser here.

The 'Union Tankstelle' is the place to drink and eat pre match. Similar setup to the Swan. Last time I was out for a game a few weeks ago, they opened at 9.30am due to the early kick off at 13.00. 2.50 for beer and 1.50 for Worst - Slightly cheaper than our beloved Amex.

The ground is located in the south eastern suburb of Kopenick on an S Bahn line - I forget which one, I don't have a map to hand. After leaving the Tankstelle near the station, you have the memories of Withdean flooding back - You have a pleasant stroll through a small forest to get to the ground.

The standard of football in Bundesliga 2 may not be as good as the championship, but imo, the 'football experience' is definitely in another league.

Thank you all for the info... Now just to convince the GF its worthy of one of our 5 days there!! Might lie and say I thought it was an art expo?!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Dresden is supposed to be a good weekend away , don't ask for directions to the old town though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here