Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wee Billy….

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Enjoyed that, thanks for posting @Psychobilly freakout.

He’s seemingly a sound and sorted young man with a lovely, supportive family behind him. He’s been just about my favourite player this season and, blimey, he’s been noticeable by his absence last two games which says it all really. If he stays medium or longer-term, I could seem him taking over as skipper when (god forbid) Dunky hangs up his Adidas Predators.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Enjoyed that, thanks for posting @Psychobilly freakout.

He’s seemingly a sound and sorted young man with a lovely, supportive family behind him. He’s been just about my favourite player this season and, blimey, he’s been noticeable by his absence last two games which says it all really. If he stays medium or longer-term, I could seem him taking over as skipper when (god forbid) Dunky hangs up his Adidas Predators.
And this is another god forbid ... at one stage Pascal Gross is going to head back to Germany with our eternal gratitude. But we'll need someone to knit the play like he does. You can't just go into the transfer market and buy a player like Pascal Gross. But I look at Gilmour as the sort of player who could operate in more advanced positions. Maybe if there were a mopping up midfielder behind him and Billy was given the responsibility to play that final ball, to own the set pieces, to take a shot at goal, I think he could really flourish and maybe even one day, give us what Pascal gives us.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
And this is another god forbid ... at one stage Pascal Gross is going to head back to Germany with our eternal gratitude. But we'll need someone to knit the play like he does. You can't just go into the transfer market and buy a player like Pascal Gross. But I look at Gilmour as the sort of player who could operate in more advanced positions. Maybe if there were a mopping up midfielder behind him and Billy was given the responsibility to play that final ball, to own the set pieces, to take a shot at goal, I think he could really flourish and maybe even one day, give us what Pascal gives us.
Agreed. Would love to see him given that responsibility. I bet, if asked, he would say he’s learning loads from Pascal…

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
didn't realise he's from Ardrossan. I stayed in neighbouring Saltcoats last summer and popped to Ardrossan to get the ferry over to Arran

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Agreed. Would love to see him given that responsibility. I bet, if asked, he would say he’s learning loads from Pascal…

I think there was an interview with the SFA somewhere on one of the international breaks where he did say how much he was learning from Pascal as well.

Jimmy Grimble

I think this might just be wishful thinking unfortunately. Mostly because Gilmour’s finishing is so far behind Pascal’s, but also because he thrives more in the early stages of build-up in deeper positions. It absolutely would not suit him to be operating in the attacking pockets Gross takes up.

Gilmour is a deep lying playmaker and needs to continue refining his skill set there.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think this might just be wishful thinking unfortunately. Mostly because Gilmour’s finishing is so far behind Pascal’s, but also because he thrives more in the early stages of build-up in deeper positions. It absolutely would not suit him to be operating in the attacking pockets Gross takes up.

Gilmour is a deep lying playmaker and needs to continue refining his skill set there.

In games, he’s a box to box playmaker and allrounder.

IMG_1725.png

Jimmy Grimble

In games, he’s a box to box playmaker and allrounder.

View attachment 177956
Hmm, I don’t think I’d describe him as a box to box playmaker. He has 0 goals and 1 assist. He’s not really a creative threat high up the pitch. A box to box playmaker should be hitting more than that. Box to box players tend to be more physically imposing than Gilmour is too. He’s best suited in the first phase of build up, receiving from defence and looking to thread through the next line. Ergo, he’s a deep-lying playmaker.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Hmm, I don’t think I’d describe him as a box to box playmaker. He has 0 goals and 1 assist. He’s not really a creative threat high up the pitch. A box to box playmaker should be hitting more than that. Box to box players tend to be more physically imposing than Gilmour is too. He’s best suited in the first phase of build up, receiving from defence and looking to thread through the next line. Ergo, he’s a deep-lying playmaker.

I think you’re right that he’s mainly a deep lying playmaker as his natural position.

I think it’s easy to forget he’s still young though and that there’s every chance he’ll add more assists/goals to his game as he gets more experienced. I think this is basically his first proper season of playing first team football with any consistency.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
but he has never scored a goal in 68 senior club games. Hinshelwood is the more likely Gross replacement.

Just pointing out that in actual game time he doesn’t sit deep.

This makes sense as Dunk, JPVH and a stumbling Webster spend large tracts of games literally near the centre circle.

Pirlo was the ultimate deep lying playmaker in Italy and club teams employing typical Italian tactics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here