Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Weddings during football season

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why on earth would anyone even consider it, get the marriage off on the right foot ...........June is wonderful, both mine were then.

Not in a World Cup or Euros year it isn't. Astonishes me when people do that and don't check the dates. Even if you don't like football, if it clashes with a big England game then half your guests won't want to be at your wedding.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It really just needs a bit of forward planning. Having said that I got married when we were playing away to Brentford and Sussex had reached the 20/20 finals day. In my defence I could not have predicted Sussex and the only date offered by the hotel was the Brentford game which is normally a good day out. A lot of my guests were Albion faithful so they had permission to take subtle glances at the score

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Bloke I work with was scheduled to get married in 2020. That didn't happen, obvs, so they tried 2021 in hope that would be the earliest. And picked the day of the Euro's final at Wembley. Apparently the reception consisted of all the blokes in one room with a big screen and all the ladies in another.

Went to a wedding a few years ago where the reception clashed with some big rugby final and it was a similar situation without the element of bad luck around COVID scheduling. Most of the groom's friends were very much rugby boys with one of them being a pro for Gloucester. As soon as the meal finished most of the blokes disappeared to the hotel bar which had a TV showing the game. Bride wasn't totally impressed, understandably.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got married on a Friday, day before the season started, and went to the football the next day. I took a bunch of wedding guests as well.

Given my father, brother and some friends have season tickets it was never going to work being on a Saturday. As it happened it was a Friday the 13th which is an incredibly easy day to book registry offices and venues etc.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
In the aulden days footballl didnt start until September

I got married on a Friday anyway. :rolleyes:

I distinctly remember the brides father hurriedly rushing up to me, literally moments before he was supposed to be walking his daughter down the aisle towards me, saying "One nil already... Barnes!"

Priorities :moo:

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
My wife and I had to move our wedding date, for some reason I forgot that the Rugby world Cup was in Brighton on that day/weekend

Tried to book a hotel and everywhere was fully booked out.

Moved it to October and everything went smoothly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here