Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Webster Fan Club

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't we know it.

Thankfully the team has been unshackled, wouldn't you agree?

Yes. I am happily now in realisation of what a fresh flexible evolving approach can bring. Even though we were average yesterday we were still pleasing on the eye at times and always looking to get forward even though it was a struggle against what I thought was an Everton side starting to play really well.

The tactical changes we make as a game progresses are engrossing in their own right. If it’s not working we chnange and it is fascinating to watch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes. I am happily now in realisation of what a fresh flexible evolving approach can bring. Even though we were average yesterday we were still pleasing on the eye at times and always looking to get forward even though it was a struggle against what I thought was an Everton side starting to play really well.

The tactical changes we make as a game progresses are engrossing in their own right. If it’s not working we chnange and it is fascinating to watch.
As fortunate as we were to have CH at exactly the right time, I think we are even better off now getting Mr Potter for this season.

Some of last seasons NSC squabbles have been rather conclusively beaten down and it's still only October.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Was my first though reading the OP post. I think both Webster and Burn are not good enough in the air, partly due to where they stand. I can't see Everton scoring from that corner with Duffer on. That said, swings and roundabouts and we are overall gaining from the change.

Shame about the faffing about at the back and the slowness at actually getting it forward, yesterday, though, before Leo came on....

I’d sure he’ll get better and in the long term has more potential than Duffy, so I was being slightly harsh. I just think it’s a bit early for some of the rave reviews - they’re based on potential, rather than reality at this point.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As fortunate as we were to have CH at exactly the right time, I think we are even better off now getting Mr Potter for this season.

Some of last seasons NSC squabbles have been rather conclusively beaten down and it's still only October.

Really?
In what respect in relation to squabbles?

Locadia / AJ ?

Edit. What I’ve learnt.....

Burn is better than I thought, not great but better.
Propper was hamstrung by a more defensive formation.
Hughton was hamstrung by poor offensive signings.
Stephens is excellent regardless of manager.
Successive managers haven’t considered AJ/Locadia to be good enough.
We are more exciting to watch.
We are also more fragile defensively.

There won’t be many 0-0’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Shame about the faffing about at the back and the slowness at actually getting it forward, yesterday, though, before Leo came on....

Might have had something to do with the very high press from Everton. And Potter knew it was coming, hence our plan to play that ball over the top again and again in the first half. Good plan, not executed with any precision. But really promising.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really?
In what respect in relation to squabbles?

Locadia / AJ ?

Edit. What I’ve learnt.....

Burn is better than I thought, not great but better.
Propper was hamstrung by a more defensive formation.
Hughton was hamstrung by poor offensive signings.
Stephens is excellent regardless of manager.
Successive managers haven’t considered AJ/Locadia to be good enough.
We are more exciting to watch.
We are also more fragile defensively.

There won’t be many 0-0’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Unshackled' was the key word in mine and Bold's conversation.

He knows I was gently digging at him for being very much #TeamWhatDoesUnshackleEvenMean.

Which was as I'm sure you remember, at the time, an uber NSC squabble.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The problem with no Duffy is that every set piece coming into our box is now a lottery as to whether we win it and clear it away.
Duffy’s head is a magnet to the ball and I rarely felt worried when we conceded a corner.

also missing Murray as well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He wasn’t at fault for the first goal as Richarlicunt was Montoya’s man (odd decision btw - height difference!). But for the second it was his fault and very, very basic - Ryan’s fault too. Should have tracked the man. Love his forward play though.

Webster stepping out with the ball into midfield and beyond has added a real dynamic to our play. Couple of times he did it yesterday, while a bit of risk, it completely opened up the opposition and our options. He had me purring a couple of times. With his stepping out with the ball and Lewis’s long passes, we really do carry a threat right from our centre backs.

The reason why people love Lewis Dunk is that he can do all that and not be a defensive liability. Steep learning curve for Webster at the moment, it may well have the talent to get there but at times yesterday he looked a rabbit in headlights

He wasn’t at fault for the first goal as Richarlicunt was Montoya’s man (odd decision btw - height difference!). But for the second it was his fault and very, very basic - Ryan’s fault too. Should have tracked the man. Love his forward play though.

He got outmuscled for the first and out-thought/out-paced for the second, that's the imperfect hat-trick for a central defender

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He got outmuscled for the first and out-thought/out-paced for the second, that's the imperfect hat-trick for a central defender

On that basis I am guessing you are “out” on the Webster fan club discussion :smile:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

He wasn’t outmuscled at all - it wasn’t his man, it was Montoya’s and Richarlison had a run on him.

On that basis I am guessing you are “out” on the Webster fan club discussion :smile:

Outlier on player bubble stocks, for sure :thumbsup:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Has given away 3 goals already this season. As much as I love his attacking prowess he really needs to sort out the defensive side of his game.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

I suspect this may be due to the fullback cover he receives from Montoya. (This is pure speculation from my own anti Montoya bias.)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Has Montoya became the latest which hunt player. How can Richarlason, a central striker, have been his man when Webster a CB jumoed with him for the cross but was out jumped or out muscled.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Has Montoya became the latest which hunt player. How can Richarlason, a central striker, have been his man when Webster a CB jumoed with him for the cross but was out jumped or out muscled.

Webster was with Keane. Watch the highlights he had Keane Richarlison lost Montoya and Webster attempted to make the challenge fraction of a second to late as the ball comes off his cheek. Is pretty clear tbh. Montoya was unfortunately about 5 yards away after a little block and was no where near

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Webster was with Keane. Watch the highlights he had Keane Richarlison lost Montoya and Webster attempted to make the challenge fraction of a second to late as the ball comes off his cheek. Is pretty clear tbh. Montoya was unfortunately about 5 yards away after a little block and was no where near

Which begs the question why was Webster, who has shown to be poor in the air, marking Keane who is known to be good at set pieces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here