Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Website building software

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I've been asked to build a website for a steam locomotive restoration group and was wondering if the tecchies of NSC had any suggestions for a good easy free web building software to use? The idea is to build a simple site that the lads rebuilding the locomotive can easily post updates, photos and news etc without too much effort, especially considering that they are more familiar with beating the shit out of large lumps of metal rather than using hi tech websites!

I've used Joomla before but found it a bit fiddly so looking for something nice and easy to use but fairly professional looking. Any ideas?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I would use Wordpress - either the remotely hosted version (.com) or download the package and upload/configure it to a server (.org) - i tend to use it for my clients and they all love it from a user point of view. Joomla! is ok, but it isn't the most user-friendly system in the world.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wordpress, as above, is incredibly powerful with a ridiculous number of customisations.

You might also want to check out Squarespace - you can literally start building now for free. If you like what you can do then pay, otherwise just delete it.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Wordpress. Many web hosting companies provide a speedy way of creating a Wordpress installation. Customise it with a theme (there are hundreds) and start adding your content to pages.

DanielT

Wordpress, as above, is incredibly powerful with a ridiculous number of customisations.

You might also want to check out Squarespace - you can literally start building now for free. If you like what you can do then pay, otherwise just delete it.

If you do try this, have a look on twit.tv for their promo code. It'll get you a discount if you decide to use them.

There's also drupal. Not as friendly as WordPress or squarespace but very customisable

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Sounds like WordPress will do the job, thanks guys, I'll give it a try.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here