Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Web Site Building Help...

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'm a complete novice at web site building but am having a go....I've got MacroMedia Dreamweaver MX which seems exceptionlly over the top for what I need but I got it free some years ago so thought I'd use it. Anyhow first question is I've built my basic first page but now that its published it seems to be using the web hosts text on the tab top in Internet Explorer. For example when I've got NSC open in a tab, the tab top says The Big Board (if I'm on the Big Board). When my page is also open next to it it says "Web Hosting, domain name..." and you can't read the rest but when you hover on it you can.

So what is this tab top called and how do I change it from my 1&1 Hosts text?

Thanks

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What's the web address, tedebear?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I always found using free premade templates the easiest way to get a nice looking page up and running in a short time.

Free Website Templates

It's also a handy way to see how the coding looks and works as they are all designed to be changeable to suit your needs.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I did that thanks and then I republished and it didn't change :-(

Well not wishing to sound rude, but you've done something wrong then.

Great thing about client side code is you can learn an awful lot from nicking from others. For example if you view the source of this page you'll see that the title for this page is:

<title> Web Site Building Help...</title>

And unless I'm not understanding you right that is what you are trying to achieve (with your own title obviously)??

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Well not wishing to sound rude, but you've done something wrong then.

Great thing about client side code is you can learn an awful lot from nicking from others. For example if you view the source of this page you'll see that the title for this page is:

<title> Web Site Building Help...</title>

And unless I'm not understanding you right that is what you are trying to achieve (with your own title obviously)??

You're spot on - thats exactly what I'm trying to change. Although there seems to be quite a few "pages" on my website so am just going through them to see what the titles are.

Just clearing out the cache too....will see if that helps.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Didn't work. The code says this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Test Header</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
</head>

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Are you using cascading style sheets(CSS)?

They are very useful for creating a system where you can change one thing on the style sheet and it changes it then for every page on your website.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Are you talking about the name of the page within the head tag, tedebear?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
tedebear I am a professional web developer. Message me the URL and I'll clear it up for you. The only thing I can think off the top of my head is that you have free web hosting space? If so they are recouping the 'free' by advertising on your website, if it isn't that I can fix it for you in a matter of seconds.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Didn't work. The code says this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Test Header</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
</head>

Ok, so change Test Header to what ever you want it to be. Then FTP (or do what ever you are doing to get the edited page on to your webserver) the file up to your webserver. Then hold down shift and reload the page (this will load a completely new (uncached) version of the page).

Have a look at Webmonkey - The Web Developer Wired.com it's a great resource for getting started on web projects.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Great, just change the words within the head tag!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
tedebear I am a professional web developer. Message me the URL and I'll clear it up for you. The only thing I can think off the top of my head is that you have free web hosting space? If so they are recouping the 'free' by advertising on your website, if it isn't that I can fix it for you in a matter of seconds.

No it isn't free - we use our business web site (Throbnozzle Racing Online) through 1&1 and I've just added on another page. I managed to change the titles for our racing pages as people have said above but I can't change them for my site :-(

Thanks for all the help though so far! Interesting thing is when I am in ie and click on source, it gives a heck of a lot of code I can't see in Macromedia!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here