Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weatherley wants to rename Gatwick Airport

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The near total death of transatlantic flights was the main thing I was thinking of.

Sorry for my ignorance but I've got no idea what you mean by that but I presume that has been picked up by other airports. In a market with so many airlines I'd have thought that there wouldn't have been an awful lot of demand that hasn't been catered for. As I say, I'm not up to speed on airlines and airports but I would have thought that increased profits, passenger numbers and the fact that the owners had to sell Stansted because they were so profitable would suggest that deregulation has seen them do well.

I can think of lots of people better placed to have an airport named after them though. Personally, I'd go for Sir Archibald McIndoe, the plastic surgeon who re-built the burnt and battered bodies of injured pilots in WWII.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sorry for my ignorance but I've got no idea what you mean by that but I presume that has been picked up by other airports. In a market with so many airlines I'd have thought that there wouldn't have been an awful lot of demand that hasn't been catered for. As I say, I'm not up to speed on airlines and airports but I would have thought that increased profits, passenger numbers and the fact that the owners had to sell Stansted because they were so profitable would suggest that deregulation has seen them do well.

Think you might be confusing this with the previous owners of Gatwick - BAA 0 who were forced to sell both airports.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I can think of lots of people better placed to have an airport named after them though. Personally, I'd go for Sir Archibald McIndoe, the plastic surgeon who re-built the burnt and battered bodies of injured pilots in WWII.

I think that's a really good suggestion.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

The owners were BAA and had to sell both Gatwick and Stansted because it was deemed a near monopoly

Under regulation - which I'm not saying I supported - many airlines were barred from doing TATL from Heathrow and hence did it from Gatwick. I believe that's why Virgin are HQed in Crawley, they didn't initially get access to Heathrow.

Since deregulation of that market, which is still quite recent, virtually all of them have left, and Gatwick has become nearly entirely leisure travel based. Which is certainly delivering it passenger numbers, but definitely not the income they could have had if they still had all the US airlines.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here