Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wearing the Poppy.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I get the feeling some people who choose not to wear a red poppy actually want people to pick fights with them so they can express their righteous indignation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have not seen anyone selling badges over this way, i got some in Portsmouth.

It was Newhaven Sainsburys last Friday evening.

Sorry that was the poppies. I got a badge and poppy bracelet from the bloke at the services.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I thought I might attract some comments to my post.. In answer to 2 points:

Does the Remembrance Service glorify wars? That is perhaps a subjective question, but to my mind it does.
The Poppy Appeal is not just about WW2, it honours the Servicemen of all wars and conflicts since WW1. Many of these have been contraversial to say the least.

That is all I want to say on the matter , each to their own opinion

So the lives of those who served their country under controversial conflicts can't be remembered for their ultimate sacrifice. They didn't make the rules, the government of the day did, by any means they felt fit at the time. The serviceman gave their lives serving the country. That alone takes precedent. Never heard of a keyboard "warrior" meeting his death through battle.

theboybilly

Have you read Lloyd George's accounts in his memoirs of Haig ? He succumbed to the French pressure before Ypres 3...yes.. So I'll stick with my original opinion of the man.

Next you'll be telling me that they never made their coffee out of mud.

Sorry mate I cannot agree that Lloyd George's is a reliable opinion of Haig - he hated the man, and obstructed him whenever he could. It was also the case that LG was a poor reader of the situation on the Western Front and would use Haig as a scapegoat for his own shortcomings as political leader.
Haig however, after Loos, tended to learn from his mistakes but it must be remembered that the conditions on the Western Front largely favoured a defensive German strategy and not an offensive Allied plan. True, Haig sent many 'over the top' to their deaths on the Somme but many of the localised tactics were drawn up by Staff officers in answer to a broad brief from GHQ. After 1st July Haig forced improvements to, for example, the creeping barrage in attempt to provide better protection for his troops, improved leave from the frontline and generally improved the lot of the common Tommy. He saw that his mounted troops had had their day (a hard enough decision as a staunch cavalryman) and worked under difficult conditions brought about by Lloyd George's selfish dislike for him. A dislike which saw reinforcements denied at critical times. A measure of the respect for Haig was the huge number of ex-servicemen that turned out to line the route of his funeral.

I love debates like this, the Great War is a passion of mine. I wouldn't mind discussing this topic and more with you over a pint or two.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sorry mate I cannot agree that Lloyd George's is a reliable opinion of Haig - he hated the man, and obstructed him whenever he could. It was also the case that LG was a poor reader of the situation on the Western Front and would use Haig as a scapegoat for his own shortcomings as political leader.
Haig however, after Loos, tended to learn from his mistakes but it must be remembered that the conditions on the Western Front largely favoured a defensive German strategy and not an offensive Allied plan. True, Haig sent many 'over the top' to their deaths on the Somme but many of the localised tactics were drawn up by Staff officers in answer to a broad brief from GHQ. After 1st July Haig forced improvements to, for example, the creeping barrage in attempt to provide better protection for his troops, improved leave from the frontline and generally improved the lot of the common Tommy. He saw that his mounted troops had had their day (a hard enough decision as a staunch cavalryman) and worked under difficult conditions brought about by Lloyd George's selfish dislike for him. A dislike which saw reinforcements denied at critical times. A measure of the respect for Haig was the huge number of ex-servicemen that turned out to line the route of his funeral.

I love debates like this, the Great War is a passion of mine. I wouldn't mind discussing this topic and more with you over a pint or two.

On a slight tangent the worst thing I ever read was the account of the battles on armistice day. To think that nearly four thousand of the Americans became casualties although the powers to be knew that hostilities would end on that very day. They had even agreed an actual time before that last battle. Complete madness. I think the American general responsible did answer questions at an inquest at a later date but would have to look that up for the details.

I'm no expert on The Great War Billy but have read much more on World War 2, probably because my father fought in Burma and India and of some research I undertook on behalf of a friends father who had always wanted his ashes sprinkled at Normandy when he died because he had lost so many of his friends there and I spent 6 months researching his war record to see exactly where he went ashore. He was badly injured soon after but I went off on many an interesting diversion before I pieced everything together. Some of the actual dispatches make for an incredible read.

theboybilly

On a slight tangent the worst thing I ever read was the account of the battles on armistice day. To think that nearly four thousand of the Americans became casualties although the powers to be knew that hostilities would end on that very day. They had even agreed an actual time before that last battle. Complete madness. I think the American general responsible did answer questions at an inquest at a later date but would have to look that up for the details.

I'm no expert on The Great War Billy but have read much more on World War 2, probably because my father fought in Burma and India and of some research I undertook on behalf of a friends father who had always wanted his ashes sprinkled at Normandy when he died because he had lost so many of his friends there and I spent 6 months researching his war record to see exactly where he went ashore. He was badly injured soon after but I went off on many an interesting diversion before I pieced everything together. Some of the actual dispatches make for an incredible read.

Indeed in some sectors they were chucking shells across no-mans land as if it would save them the bother of carrying them home. I think it's true to say that the causes of the Great War and the outbreak, the Somme, and the final days are for many the most interesting. But there was so much more to it. I love the subject, and World War 2. In many ways I don't think we've learned all that much from either to say it will never happen again.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Indeed in some sectors they were chucking shells across no-mans land as if it would save them the bother of carrying them home. I think it's true to say that the causes of the Great War and the outbreak, the Somme, and the final days are for many the most interesting. But there was so much more to it. I love the subject, and World War 2. In many ways I don't think we've learned all that much from either to say it will never happen again.

Wars finished 11/11/18 and 11/11/45 allegedly.....both add up to 13. Did the Masons decide the dates.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It was Newhaven Sainsburys last Friday evening.

Sorry that was the poppies. I got a badge and poppy bracelet from the bloke at the services.

Went to Newhaven Sainsburys this morning, the poppy seller told me they had sold out of pin badges, 1000 badges sold.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
...I love debates like this...

And cheers to you and Questions for the history lesson. I love this stuff too and my knowledge of it is woeful, I'm embarrassed to say. I'm inspired now to get reading on this. Any recommendations on a book to get me started?

Back on topic - It's noticeable that the older generations are the ones who are most observant about wearing their poppies and you can bet they don't do it for some imaginary glory or political point. There's a quiet dignity regardless of class, race, sex, nationality or political persuasion. For me, wearing a poppy is a way of letting them know that it hasn't been forgotten, the sacrifices made and continue to be made for us all. That's why it's called Remembrance Sunday after all.

If anyone doesn't want to wear one then fair dos, I respect that. I'm not so respectful about white poppies because ultimately that is someone using the occasion to make a political point and I don't think it's the time nor the place and it's just plain rude (in my eyes). Fortunately I don't think I've seen someone wear a white poppy in years.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I got this reply......great news.

On Monday I started a petition for my husband to receive his full military pension and last night I found out he will.

After months of worry it is a huge relief to finally hear my husband will receive his pension.

I first raised my fears in the media in June but it wasn't until my petition on Change.org that the Ministry of Defence said Michael's transfer request will also stall his redundancy.

The response to our petition has been fantastic and somewhat overwhelming. We are so grateful to the 100,000 people who have responded and continue to spread the word, your efforts have not been in vain and we are so grateful to you all.

We hope that others in similar situations have the courage to ask for help because with the support of Great British public, it is achievable.

Pension Justice for Troops, a group of former service men and women and their relatives, have started a new petition asking the Prime Minister to review the treatment of all soldiers made redundant within a whisper of qualifying for their petition. You can support their petition here.

Thank you all,
Jolene

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Wars finished 11/11/18 and 11/11/45 allegedly.....both add up to 13. Did the Masons decide the dates.
The Great War officially ended 28/6/19 with the signing of The Treaty Of Versailles.The War Memorial at Totland on The Isle of Wight has 1914 to 1919 on it .

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough

During the Great war we kept on selling artillery shells to the Huns because "We can't let the war get in the way of commerce" The Masons certainly had a hand in that.We also made sure the transport ship carrying them did not get sunk crossing the Channel.

Bit like a factory in Grantham that supplied the Argentinian army with bullets before another bit of unpleasantness.

Wear your poppy with pride this Sunday but don't forget to stop what ever you are doing and remember all those lost or maimed,those family's destroyed,Friend or "Foe" by all the conflicts our country has been involved in next Monday at 11.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
And cheers to you and Questions for the history lesson. I love this stuff too and my knowledge of it is woeful, I'm embarrassed to say. I'm inspired now to get reading on this. Any recommendations on a book to get me started?

Back on topic - It's noticeable that the older generations are the ones who are most observant about wearing their poppies and you can bet they don't do it for some imaginary glory or political point. There's a quiet dignity regardless of class, race, sex, nationality or political persuasion. For me, wearing a poppy is a way of letting them know that it hasn't been forgotten, the sacrifices made and continue to be made for us all. That's why it's called Remembrance Sunday after all.

If anyone doesn't want to wear one then fair dos, I respect that. I'm not so respectful about white poppies because ultimately that is someone using the occasion to make a political point and I don't think it's the time nor the place and it's just plain rude (in my eyes). Fortunately I don't think I've seen someone wear a white poppy in years.

What I found fascinating Buzzer was coming at it from one mans perspective or story if you like. It's the personalisation of it all that seems to get the impact across for me. The soldiers record that I wrote about was like a second father to me, taking us all round the country as kids to watch the Albion and because I was so close to him the horrors that became apparent once I starting delving back into his story seemed so much more vivid somehow than anything I had read before. I might even put it up on here one day if I thought anyone would be interested enough.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Concerning your last point......... I agree. The truth is we are only ever one charismatic leader away from a conflict in this world.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The Great War officially ended 28/6/19 with the signing of The Treaty Of Versailles.The War Memorial at Totland on The Isle of Wight has 1914 to 1919 on it .

Yep, i came across a couple of different dates, including the ones that i put up, and these. Just i was discussing this the other day and a colleague came up with this 13 number because it is apparently the sacred number to Masons, who he reckoned called the shots so to speak. Just intrigued really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here