We will lose out on our no.1 target to palace!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I can see Leicester sacking Pearson very shortly and Pulis going there

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Our No.1 target appears to be Jones if the noises coming out of the club are to be believed so the OP need not worry about him going to Palace. What an underwhelming appointment Jones would be, hardly inspiring as he was second in command to the person who has led us on this 19 match run without a win.

This is footballing torture, one minute I'm miserable because we seem stuck with Hyppia, then elated as both he and Burke depart followed by misery again as the prospect of Jones being given the job gathers pace.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
One prioritised sorting things out on the pitch first, the other built a 'palace' for eunuchs without a king

True. Does it not worry you the fact you seem to have pretty much consistently burnt through chairman in the last 20 years?

You are probably right, but whatever the right or wrongs are, I am glad we have Bloom, someone well backed with money, with the clubs intentions at his heart, rather than the constant merry-go-round at Palace.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Our No.1 target appears to be Jones if the noises coming out of the club are to be believed so the OP need not worry about him going to Palace. What an underwhelming appointment Jones would be, hardly inspiring as he was second in command to the person who has led us on this 19 match run without a win.

This is footballing torture, one minute I'm miserable because we seem stuck with Hyppia, then elated as both he and Burke depart followed by misery again as the prospect of Jones being given the job gathers pace.

Just ignore all his other coaching acheivements and background then! Jones won't get the job, but I hope he does remain at the club. I know someone who was involved at academy level at Charlton, and Jones was very well regarded as a bright up and coming coach within the game, they were gutted to lose him

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Rumour up here is that Irvine will be sacked tonight and they will target the usual suspects - Pulis (fans favourite) Hughton (ex Birmingham would not be popular) and Sherwood (probably cost more than their Chairman wants to spend).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Rumour up here is that Irvine will be sacked tonight and they will target the usual suspects - Pulis (fans favourite) Hughton (ex Birmingham would not be popular) and Sherwood (probably cost more than their Chairman wants to spend).

Unless another championship manager job becomes available, i think Hughton will be ours to turn down. He wont get Palace or WBA. But Pulis option, if it ever was truly an option, will be lost due to faffing about for to long.

shall we, shan't we, shall we...... too late, someone else already has

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Just ignore all his other coaching acheivements and background then! Jones won't get the job, but I hope he does remain at the club. I know someone who was involved at academy level at Charlton, and Jones was very well regarded as a bright up and coming coach within the game, they were gutted to lose him

I just think he represents failure as equally as Hyppia and we need a fresh start, I couldnt care less about his background, he did nothing as assistant to Hyppia to suggest he is the man to take over.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
He was waiting for Ashley to sack Pardew.

Pulis will turn up at Leicester, they are promising to spend the sort of money that he wants, which with the greatest respect to Brighton, you haven't got right now because of FFP.
I would imagine that there'll be a couple of options for pulis in the next few weeks. Leicester or West Brom very close to being available I would think. Leicester would be the best fit in terms of set up but is there really the cash there? They clearly didn't want to splash out in the summer and if they didn't rate or trust Pearson they've had quite a while to get rid.

Stranger things have happened to pulis arriving at Brighton but it's got to be highly unlikely.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Robinson and Howe are very similar. Have spent/been allowed a considerable period of time building up competitive squads, have become big fishes in a small sea and are reluctant to move elsewhere.

I can understand someone wanting to stay in Dorset, but Milton Keynes?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just think he represents failure as equally as Hyppia and we need a fresh start, I couldnt care less about his background, he did nothing as assistant to Hyppia to suggest he is the man to take over.

You take into account him as assistant to Hyypia, but not as assistant to Garcia, which was successful?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Let's see what those who actually know what happens think when they decide the new set up.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
If we were going for Robinson (and reportedly we were) I can't see us looking higher than a manager of the same calibre or current status so its going to be either someone from a lower division doing well or an out of favour but previously successful manager. I just get the feeling we only shop in the bargain basement since Poyet

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I can understand someone wanting to stay in Dorset, but Milton Keynes?

The areas to the west and east of Milton Keynes are rather pleasant though, especially over towards Buckingham. Having been to university there, though, I must admit I am biased.

Regarding Jones, I don't want him as manager, as he would inevitably be compared to Dean Wilkins, i.e. the cheap option, but I would be very happy to see him replace Simon Ireland as Under 21s manager. As Thunder Bolt points out, he was successful under Garcia; from what I understand he took most of the training sessions, working to overall objectives set by Garcia, and after home games he was effectively in charge as Garcia used to return to Spain, only coming back on Monday night or Tuesday morning. I would assume that under Hyypia, he had to work with his methods, which clearly didn't work.

Last edited:

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
True. Does it not worry you the fact you seem to have pretty much consistently burnt through chairman in the last 20 years?

You are probably right, but whatever the right or wrongs are, I am glad we have Bloom, someone well backed with money, with the clubs intentions at his heart, rather than the constant merry-go-round at Palace.
Burnt through Chairmen? Noades and CPFC2010 were/are very stable influences. Goldberg was of course an aberration, but even Jordan was at the club for over five years

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't give a shit about Pulis one way or another, but what a stupid thing to post. You're not Tony Pulis so you haven't a clue, in which case why post as though you are stating a fact?

Fact or not, l think he is right. Why should he have any interest in Brighton?, second from bottom of the Championship, and seemingly, at the moment anyway, only headed in one direction, down.

Tony Pulis could do so much better, he is a Premier League manager in my opinion, and the reasons for him leaving Palace had nothing to do with results on the pitch. Indeed he was doing a good job there.

That said, l so hope l am wrong!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Finding it hard to hate Brighton today
we have something in common.
were both shit and have no manager.

Its Christmas 1914 in no mans land.... a brief respite as the 2 sides look at their shared humanity and what they have in common, before hostilities resume and they start to attack each other once more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports