Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] We want our Marbles back, we want our Marbles back...

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I’ve seen them and never set foot in the British Museum. The remaining carvings in the frieze are still on the Parthenon, not having been hacked away by the equivalent of grave robbers.
The next generation can easily fly, or drive to Athens, via ferry, to see them as they should be seen.
The Greeks were occupied by the Ottoman Empire at the time of the theft, so weren’t in a situation to ‘take care of them‘.
Having been to the Parthenon and the British Museum, I'd say the setting in Athens with the actual Parthenon and the Museum there is vastly more impressive than the way they're displayed in London.

I'll admit that the main attraction of the Acropolis museum (or whatever it's actually called) for me was that it has air conditioning. It was 42c the day I was there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Having been to the Parthenon and the British Museum, I'd say the setting in Athens with the actual Parthenon and the Museum there is vastly more impressive than the way they're displayed in London.

I'll admit that the main attraction of the Acropolis museum (or whatever it's actually called) for me was that it has air conditioning. It was 42c the day I was there.
Yes, there’s not much shelter from the sun. Did you see all the lovely artefacts on display found when digging for the metro for the 2008 Olympics? It’s the next station from Syntagma Square beginning with P. Panastimio?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes, there’s not much shelter from the sun. Did you see all the lovely artefacts on display found when digging for the metro for the 2008 Olympics? It’s the next station from Syntagma Square beginning with P. Panastimio?
To be honest, I was interailing at the time and I'm a bit vague on the specifics of which lovely artifacts I saw in Rome, Athens or Istanbul.
I'm almost certain I did see the stuff from the metro, but my main memory of Syntagma Square is of a man coming up to me and sprinkling some seeds into my hands so a pigeon landed on them. Unfortunately I didn't realise the idea was that I paid him for a photo of this, and when I turned him down he kept hold of my hands and kept pouring the seeds until I had about 15 pigeons all over me.
Which was nice.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Almost right

Panepistimio

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I hear the argument and the Greek claim to the marbles but possession is nine tenths of the law , and at the time the Greeks weren’t taking care of them . It is all the result of Empire and Britain raided the world for stuff.
I know I have spent many happy times in the British Museum looking at them and stuff from all over the Middle East . I would not like the next generation to be deprived of that.
Why do the next generation of Brits get to see them in London while the next generation of Greeks don't get to see them in Athens?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Ah, the Italians will be wanting them back before long.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...if we chucked out all the parts of Britain that didn't make a net contribution to the exchequer we'd be left with the Square Mile, Canary Wharf and Aberdeen.
...plus the pay & display carpark at Durdle Door.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Cue the song for tomorrow night :

🎼 “ You can stick your f***ing marbles up your arse,

You can stick your f***ing marbles up your arse,

You can stick your f***ing marbles, stick your f***ing marbles . . . . ” 🎼

You know the rest . . . . :drink:
Nah, you're alright.

Give. Them. Back!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003