Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We should sign Adam Armstong

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That Guardian article has some good suggestions but I don't think Armstrong to the Albion is one of them.

If we are going to play with wing-backs then we are planning on getting in crosses from wide. We maximise our chances by having a taller man who not only has more of an aerial threat but who can also physically match up with a rugged centre-half, who has the range to stick a long leg out and get a toe on the end of stuff or who can simply bring others into play, like Maupay or Trossard.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anyone thinking sending Connolly down to the championship, let alone League 1, will benefit him really hasn't grasped the situation.

If we can't get him out on loan - and if he doesn't rediscover his scoring form at an easier level - we might as well flog him, not that his value is currently going to be much. Staying with us last season has moved his career so far backwards he really needs that change.
Anyone thinking that parking him on the bench, with occasional non-scoring cameos like last season,with him getting bored, frustrated and allegedly not always leading the lifestyle a professional footballer should aspire to is a good idea needs their head wobbling.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not too horny about him (or Edouard for that matter). It feels like just more of the same as the type of strikers already in the squad.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Not too horny about him (or Edouard for that matter). It feels like just more of the same as the type of strikers already in the squad.
What type of striker would you be in favour of? Seeing as Armstrong and Edouard aren't exactly similar in style.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we can't get him out on loan - and if he doesn't rediscover his scoring form at an easier level - we might as well flog him, not that his value is currently going to be much. Staying with us last season has moved his career so far backwards he really needs that change.
Anyone thinking that parking him on the bench, with occasional non-scoring cameos like last season,with him getting bored, frustrated and allegedly not always leading the lifestyle a professional footballer should aspire to is a good idea needs their head wobbling.

If we were to believe 10% of the noise surrounding Connolly then that all points to him thinking 'I'm Mr Premier League'.

We can probably identify the exact moment it all 'went wrong', down to the specific 15 seconds.
That being Lineker on MOTD saying 'this boy is a Premier League world class talent, and that's a fact'.

Ok Aaron off to Gillingham you go and please come back a well round, attitude free striker with more goals than haircuts, just isn't going to work.
If we think he's playing up now, I'm sure we ain't seen nothing yet.

If GPott thinks he has the leadership and emotional intelligence to get into Connolly's head and fine tune it, then he has to stay.
If not then sure sell him on and cry about it later.

But just kicking the can down the road really isn't the answer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If we were to believe 10% of the noise surrounding Connolly then that all points to him thinking 'I'm Mr Premier League'.

We can probably identify the exact moment it all 'went wrong', down to the specific 15 seconds.
That being Lineker on MOTD saying 'this boy is a Premier League world class talent, and that's a fact'.

Ok Aaron off to Gillingham you go and please come back a well round, attitude free striker with more goals than haircuts, just isn't going to work.

If GPott thinks he has the leadership and emotional intelligence to get into Connolly's head and fine tune it, then he has to stay.

Kicking the can down the road? - like we did with Sanchez and White - I mean, we didn't even know who White was when he went to Leeds, did we, and that was our third attempt at kicking him down the road, wasn't it - and we still hadn't got rid of him .........................
Everybody understands (except apparantly you) what sort of loan we should be looking for for Connolly; it's one to develop and improve him and getting him firing on all cylinders again, and it's not the same as the sort of loan that Locadia is on. Now that is kicking the can down the road.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Fair enough, I appreciate any so many want another Muzza but I just don’t see it in Potter’s plans.

I will say it again. Ollie Mac Burn Eeee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
How many of those were sub appearances ? or playing on the left ?...

Im not saying a loan to a champ side would not be a good idea if Mr Potter thinks it is, but i certainly wont be sad if he is in our squad next season each match day

I will, because it will mean that, yet again, we have failed in our striker hunt

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Anyone thinking sending Connolly down to the championship, let alone League 1, will benefit him really hasn't grasped the situation.

Do tell. The situation is an undercooked player with low confidence. What would you suggest? Back to PL2!?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
That Guardian article has some good suggestions but I don't think Armstrong to the Albion is one of them.

If we are going to play with wing-backs then we are planning on getting in crosses from wide. We maximise our chances by having a taller man who not only has more of an aerial threat but who can also physically match up with a rugged centre-half, who has the range to stick a long leg out and get a toe on the end of stuff or who can simply bring others into play, like Maupay or Trossard.

I wouldn't worry so much about this. If he can not miskick from 8 yards, our new man will get into double figures whatever his height

Most headers, not from corners or free kicks result from a bit of movement rather than towering over a centre back. Height in a striker is much more important in terms of hold up play

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

OMG [emoji33] I agree with Swanny

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

It is the answer. Connolly might be too arrogant and stupid to understand that. But is is the answer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kicking the can down the road? - like we did with Sanchez and White - I mean, we didn't even know who White was when he went to Leeds, did we, and that was our third attempt at kicking him down the road, wasn't it - and we still hadn't got rid of him .........................
Everybody understands (except apparantly you) what sort of loan we should be looking for for Connolly; it's one to develop and improve him and getting him firing on all cylinders again, and it's not the same as the sort of loan that Locadia is on. Now that is kicking the can down the road.

My whole point is that neither Sanchez or White had their taste of EPL football, let alone trumpeted by England's greatest ever goal scorer on national TV.

Hindsight would suggest he had too much too soon, but nobody was saying in the aftermath of THE Spurs takedown.

I just don't see Connolly accepting the step backwards in order to move forwards.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'd be surprised if nobody signs Armstrong this summer. He's done well in the Championship and deserves a chance in the Premier League. Not sure whether it should be us. Maybe one of the promoted teams are more likely to try to sign him.

I still think we're more likely to sign a striker from overseas, due to cost. Maybe the French or German league

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My whole point is that neither Sanchez or White had their taste of EPL football, let alone trumpeted by England's greatest ever goal scorer on national TV.

Hindsight would suggest he had too much too soon, but nobody was saying in the aftermath of THE Spurs takedown.
Yes, but that was nearly two years ago. How would you rate his progress in the two years since?

I just don't see Connolly accepting the step backwards in order to move forwards.
I can't see him liking it, no - but IMHO he's really at a crossroads in his career. If he doesn't accept and knuckle down to a loan at a lower level, then he'll finish up just beiing sold to a lower level club anyway (or fishing around for a place somewhere if he runs down his contract) - he won't be going to another PL team!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, but that was nearly two years ago. How would you rate his progress in the two years since?

I can't see him liking it, no - but IMHO he's really at a crossroads in his career. If he doesn't accept and knuckle down to a loan at a lower level, then he'll finish up just beiing sold to a lower level club anyway (or fishing around for a place somewhere if he runs down his contract) - he won't be going to another PL team!

We can all see 'it', potentially all except one person.

I certainly have revelled in the 'more haircuts than goals' line from last season.
I'm sure as hell not saying 'he'll come good'.

I just really seriously believe sending him down is absolutely not the way to bring him back up.

I think we're also overlooking GPott in this.
I'm pretty sure he'd see it as some kind of failure on his part if he just packs Connolly off elsewhere.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We can all see 'it', potentially all except one person.

I certainly have revelled in the 'more haircuts than goals' line from last season.
I'm sure as hell not saying 'he'll come good'.

I just really seriously believe sending him down is absolutely not the way to bring him back up.

I think we're also overlooking GPott in this.
I'm pretty sure he'd see it as some kind of failure on his part if he just packs Connolly off elsewhere.
Again the perjorative - 'pack him off', 'kicking the can down the road'. Yet again you are describing a Locadia type loan, not a White/Sanchez/Longman/Richards type loan - a different animal altogether.

I am not - and I don't think anybody else is either - recommending a Locadia type loan for Connolly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here