Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

" We should have stayed at Gillingham"

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
BBC SCR have been having some sort of discussion re the Falmer Area on the Tommy Boyd Show this pm Only heard the last bit unfortunately so it maybe our Community Stadium plans had a good airing but all I heard was some bloke from Shoreham saying we should have stayed at Gillingham and go back there as it's a proper stadium.

:thud:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Whoever said that obviosly did not go there back then or they are barking bloody mad

D

Deleted member 2719

Billy the Fish said:
I wouldn't want to go back there, but there was definately alot less moaning at a time when we were genuinely shit, a better atmosphere too.

Knowing what we do now i would prefer to be playing at Gillingham for a few more years and surely it would have put more pressure on the Falmer case.

Does anyone know were we losing more money then than now?

We had the true supafans back then.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Billy the Fish said:
I wouldn't want to go back there, but there was definately alot less moaning at a time when we were genuinely shit, a better atmosphere too.

100% agree. Was more of a laugh as well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Billy the Fish said:
At the time, Gillingham was considered better than nothing because we knew it was an emergency contingency plan, and that there was nothing we could do about it, apart form get back to Brighton asap - something else that was delayed by NIMBYs.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mouldy Boots said:
Knowing what we do now i would prefer to be playing at Gillingham for a few more years and surely it would have put more pressure on the Falmer case.

Does anyone know were we losing more money then than now?

We had the true supafans back then.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
The football league would not let us have stayed at Gillingham for even a couple of years extra. The first priority was always getting back to Brighton - it was only with that condition that we were allowed to play at Gillingham at all. And it was far more expensive than being at Withdean.

The Falmer case was still two years away when we returned to Brighton.

Sep 20, 2005
I hated the fact that we played there instead of my beloved Goldstone, but I enjoyed every visit much, much more than going to Withdean.
It was a proper football ground, and we never had any of this i'm-more-of-a-fan-than-you-cos-i've-got-a-season-ticket bullshit. We were all the same back then.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I just can't believe some people are saying they would rather be at Gillingham.

I live in Canterbury so Gillingham is 'just down the road' for me, but I would much rather have the long journey to and from Withdean, poor as it is.

It's in BRIGHTON!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Knotty said:

I live in Canterbury so Gillingham is 'just down the road' for me, but I would much rather have the long journey to and from Withdean, poor as it is.

It's in BRIGHTON!

No way would I want to go back there, but I did enjoy it more than Withdean.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Knotty said:

It's in BRIGHTON!
Even though I live in Worthing I would get home from a game at Gillingham only about 15 minutes than I do now. And I stayed dry even when it pissed down. That said, I hated going there. I can't believe that anyone who went to home games there for two years could seriously suggest that we should have stayed there. Withdean may be a soulless dump but its OUR soulless dump. We need to go forward to Falmer, not backwards to Gillingham

D

Deleted member 2719

The Large One said:
The football league would not let us have stayed at Gillingham for even a couple of years extra. The first priority was always getting back to Brighton - it was only with that condition that we were allowed to play at Gillingham at all. And it was far more expensive than being at Withdean.

The Falmer case was still two years away when we returned to Brighton.

So what would we have done had we not been allowed to play at Withdean?

I don't suppose you know the figures as for losses during those years to the present Withdean losses by any chance just curious?

???

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I totally agree! Gillingham was far better than Wetdean, and a fun day out!

We may have saved some wasted money too? ???

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
3gulls said:
I totally agree! Gillingham was far better than Wetdean, and a fun day out!

We may have saved some wasted money too? ???
There's nothing to stop you still going there, of course...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mouldy Boots said:
So what would we have done had we not been allowed to play at Withdean?
Probaby been kicked out of the league. The Football League don't like groundsharing. We MAY have got one more year's grace, but that was only because we made such a public thing of moving to Withdean, and the publicised bullshit nonsense we had with SWEAT.

Mouldy Boots said:
I don't suppose you know the figures as for losses during those years to the present Withdean losses by any chance just curious?
No, but it wasn't purely about the gates and event-staging costs. From a commercial and sponsorship point of view, playing at Gillingham was always going to severely hamstring us.

We couldn't get too much in terms of corporate hospitality, pitchside advertising, club shop sales (no team playing in the city etc). Moving back to Brighton, even just for the convenience of the fans, was always paramount. From there, we could have a decent platform from which to launch the Falmer bid.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Man of Harveys said:
There's nothing to stop you still going there, of course...

Te he! You're so funny!

To be honest i hardly missed a game there, but hate wetdean and rarely bother going!

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
:nono:

that is all.

although i too have been priestfield 5 times and never been to withdean.

D

Deleted member 2719

graz126 said:
:nono:

that is all.

although i too have been priestfield 5 times and never been to withdean.

Go to the withdean and then take a judgement on it i think if your honest Gillingham will feel more like a football match as we know it.

We want Falmer......
we want Falmer.......
We want Falmer......
we want Falmer.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here