Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We really must get behind Oscar

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think that this what makes Oscar's appointment so interesting. We really are totally clueless about how we will do and he will undoubtably be compared to Gus from the off, not really fair as Gus at least had half a season to make an impact at a much lower level. the bar has been set very high for Oscar.

Agree, and as far as the media are concerned they have nothing really to go on with all the changes we have made on many levels, so why would they make us favourites.

Even taking that into consideration we are the bookies 8th favourite, which sounds about fair based on the information available to them, so I wouldn't be insulted by the media.

I would say that we are the dark horse.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We are just Wayne Bridge short of the squad that was TOP in the form table from January to end of season. Why has that suddenly become a mid table side??

Because if you don't panic buy during the transfer window the club is doomed to spiral down the league and into oblivion. Obviously.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Of course we must.

And back him after a possible poor result v Leeds.

What if we have a possible great result v Leeds and draw, or even win? Do we have to back him still more, or can we be a little less supportive?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I honestly don't think we'll get half the interest from the media now that Gus's has gone, Oscar is going to have to do it all with his results.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Largely Premier-League-obsessed gibbons who barely know where Oakwell or Huish Park are: they get asked by the editor to write a token piece on the Football League, so go for the clubs they've recently heard of, and about whom they can spout their Premier League knowledge.

Think that sums up football journalism in one sentence. It'll be interesting to see what the Football League Paper have put us down as. Although, that one guy that looks like Alex Zane does say some utter tripe!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I think Oscar will be given a bedding in season, as said the side is not different apart from the left back position that finished well last season.

Expectations of the board will be for a play off spot but providing we don't plunge underneath the half way position by seasons end Oscar can rest easy.

I think most Albion fans would agree that Gus did a fantastic job but I'd give a big thumbs up to TB for giving him the stadium and the tools to do it. Gus is not the only manager who could have got us challenging imo. The style may have been different but I think we'd have still been challenging.

You make it sound like Gus was the only person who could have improved our position as much. I'd suggest Adkins may well have done equally as good a job as would a number of other managers. That is not taking away from Gus' achievements I am just suggesting that you have a slightly blinkered view.

This really is the fascinating question - how much of that 4th place was Gus outperforming the players Bloom gave him? No one really knows for sure, but one thing's for sure - we are going to get some great clues over the next couple of months.

My prejudice is that Gus did outperform significantly.

I think that this what makes Oscar's appointment so interesting. We really are totally clueless about how we will do and he will undoubtably be compared to Gus from the off, not really fair as Gus at least had half a season to make an impact at a much lower level. the bar has been set very high for Oscar.

But Gus inherited a relegation shambles. Oscar is in the same position as McGhee, inheriting a squad that has forward momentum, hence expectations of quicker results are much higher and surely rightly so?

spanishdave

Jul 30, 2013
Hove
we're already behind him! we need to get behind the manager whoever he is if we want him to do a good job!
looks like we're going into the new season as underdogs to. we know bha can do it but we need to show everyone else they can. another good signing or two would definetly push the team to getting another play off position or higher

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This really is the fascinating question - how much of that 4th place was Gus outperforming the players Bloom gave him? No one really knows for sure, but one thing's for sure - we are going to get some great clues over the next couple of months.

My prejudice is that Gus did outperform significantly.

I think that this needs a poll!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can only assume you can get tidy odds on an Albion title win. I haven't checked but anything above 10/1 has got to be value. I might have a cheeky bet on promotion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can only assume you can get tidy odds on an Albion title win. I haven't checked but anything above 10/1 has got to be value. I might have a cheeky bet on promotion.
16 & 18/1

Ulloa around 20's for top scorer.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Personally i am right behind Oscar and have a £50 on us to win the league at 16/1
Squad i think will contain 3 more players come the end of the window. 2 very exciting young prospects to add competition as well.
I think we will start slow but will end up flying. Personally think Oscar in charge is going to be a master stroke by TB. The way we will play football and with his tactical knowledge just have a feeling that everyone will be taken by surprise and we will win the league

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
He massively overachieved in the League One winning season. Saints' players were on double, triple ours, and their budget was at least double. We battered that league on about the 7th best budget. Hard to say how many other managers would've done that.

Paul Lambert with far less money and no flappy gob?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Largely Premier-League-obsessed gibbons who barely know where Oakwell or Huish Park are: they get asked by the editor to write a token piece on the Football League, so go for the clubs they've recently heard of, and about whom they can spout their Premier League knowledge.

Funny you should say that, Edna. I was in the press room at White Hart Lane while the Brentford v Yeovil play-off final was being shown and at the final whistle, one London-based tabloid writer was heard to say "Where exactly IS Yeovil?"

On the subject of predictions, I'd expect Forest and Bolton to do better than they did last season, which would put them in the play-off frame. McDermott has already made Leeds more of a passing team, so I also expect them to improve. I personally think that the loss of Bridge will hurt us, so as things stand - and knowing very little as we do about Oscar - I'd be extremely happy with sixth place as of right now. Doesn't mean that my opinions are based on ignorance of the Championship, though, or that I won't be behind Oscar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here