Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “We played them off the park…daylight robbery” etc etc

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Seems quite a few online are basing this on being 1 nil up for 45 odd minutes and reaching quite a bit

I don’t think this supports their view other than having more throw ins than us

c64444bb4009ddfaffe7eca80b56d191.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shame there is no "Dives" category....... Would firmly be a Palace win

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yeah, I've found the idea they played us off the park interesting.

They had control of midfield in the first half but I think most could have predicted that when we saw it would be three against two and we didn't have Bissouma. That meant a lot of the first half was played in our half but they never looked like scoring until Trossard gave away a needless penalty.

Second half was a bit more end to end. They created one good chance from Cucurella's sloppy pass. Other than that, nothing. Even Zaha's offside chance came from Alzate slipping.

On the flipside other than Welbeck's chance in the first half and our goal we didn't create anything threatening either. If that game had ended 0-0 as it probably should have the narrative around it would be quite different I think.

I can understand why Palace think they played well, they were far more front foot and proactive than they were at any time under Hodgson. They played some nice looking football in midfield, they had the ball in our half/third a lot in the first half. After the shitshows they've sat through the past few years that probably does feel like dominance. But, they created one chance all game and never looked like creating anything.

Compare that whole 90 minutes to the last 30 against Leicester. That was a real example of a team dominating and being all over someone. At no point in that 30 minute spell did we look comfortable, we were desperately hanging on.

For me, it's the fact they seem convinced that they were some kind of incredibly dominant force that had a deserved win unjustly ripped from their grasp with the last kick of the game, coupled with the celebrations and the palace fans entirely predictable twattish response to it that is so entertaining.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I was saying exactly this on the match thread where even 85% of our fans seemed to think palarse had dominated. Was very odd. I think other than the ref. helping them with the foul at midfield leading up to their 60-40 pen shout and denying our 90-10 pen shout that it was an even game.

They dominated at times as did we and we likely only did towards the end as they had the lead. If it was 0-0 or 1-1 at that point might have been a coin flip. That or an even funnier 95th minute.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think you're being unfair here. The match report was posted about 12/13 minutes after the match ended. He'd probably written most of it on the assumption of a Palace win - no-one's going to write a full report from scratch in 10 minutes. He probably had an intro and a report mapped out on his head (if not already written) and had to rethink things fast.

I think the fact that he's a Palace fan is irrelevant here -any reporter would have had something similar.

A big chunk of truth here.
Similarly with Carragher's summary, he was prepared to analyse why Palace had won and then the story changed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
McShane in the 79th and Maupay in the 95th will be forever etched in Albion minds. Just thinking about either will bring a smile to Albion fans’ faces until the day they die :smile:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Paddy V is bridging the gap between football and antifootball for them. It must be such a relief after all the turgid Hodgson years.

They were up for it and we weren't - that's the difference for me. Both teams were poor. Neither 'keeper had much to do really. We couldn't keep possession and they lost it many times with wayward passes.

The declaration that they played us off the park is inevitable when comparing their two recent performances against us but in isolation, no they didn't. They should be buoyed and rightly so as they have evolved but might want to exercise some caution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here