Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We need two up front

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My logic is that Gayle and GM are good mates and know each others play well so would not need time to get up and running and they would compliment each other then when either tires bring on Maupay to have another go at tiring defenders. We desperately need 5 wins plus a draw out of the rermaining games and I cannot see us scoring enough to get that.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Disagree. When the going gets tough, DS does everything he can to hide, with safe meaningless passes that won't get the crowd on his back. Might have got him a pat on the head from CH, but not anymore. If he has to be played nowadays he should be actively encouraged to shoot on sight. Nobody's ever going to get on his, or anybody else's, back for getting a shot in, no matter what the outcome is. It's the hiding on the pitch that gets people's backs up.

interesting that his accurate pass rate is in the high 60% 's but when it comes to shooting he's a ****ing mess, you don't have to try and burst the thing , just pass it into the top corner...simples..:shrug:.....that shot late in the game yesterday was woeful with Maupay free in the left channel......we really are quite naive in attack and that is where Muzz can give us an extra edge....a few games at 442 while Burn is injured with webster sitting on the bench.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This may seem a little bizarre to many but I would go to Newcastle, who are nearly safe and get Dwight Gayle in on loan to play alongside GM up front with Maupay to come off of the bench.

That's the same Dwight Gayle who pulled a hamstring yesterday?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Disagree. Stephens never hides and we'll be screwed in midfield if he doesn't play against Villa. The crowd is already full of numpties who vocally criticise his every touch regardless of quality, direction or even if another player plays it too short to him. If he's short of confidence, blame his own fans. But he really shouldn't shoot - ever!

I only criticise his wayward passes. Oh, and his backwards passes when we’re on the break. And his sideways ones when we’re clean through. And his inability to shoot. Or get one on target. And score goals. I do admire his defensive shielding of our defence. But wonder what our midfield could be with a more offensive couple of midfield generals.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The crowd is already full of numpties who vocally criticise his every touch regardless of quality, direction or even if another player plays it too short to him. If he's short of confidence, blame his own fans.

The moaners dream ticket, Webster to Stephens or Stephens to Webster a double opportunity to tell Potter neither should be in the team.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
interesting that his accurate pass rate is in the high 60% 's but when it comes to shooting he's a ****ing mess, you don't have to try and burst the thing , just pass it into the top corner...simples..:shrug:.....that shot late in the game yesterday was woeful with Maupay free in the left channel......we really are quite naive in attack and that is where Muzz can give us an extra edge....a few games at 442 while Burn is injured with webster sitting on the bench.

Actually a long way into December Stephens had around a 90% pass completion but in the last games it been around 70% (67% last night) which is frankly a very, very bad ratio for a central midfielder with mainly defensive tasks.

About Stephens shooting... I think he likes to do it and I dont think he is bad at it - he had some decent attempts this season - but most of the time you see him have a shot, its not really about scoring but about preventing counter attacks.

Dont have numbers for this but I feel two thirds of his attempts has been after corners that has been headed away etc, and if you dont shoot quickly you could lose the ball and have a very dangerous counter attack against you. So a lot of his shots are weird volleys or from poor or messy angles and it makes him look worse at it than he really is.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The moaners dream ticket, Webster to Stephens or Stephens to Webster a double opportunity to tell Potter neither should be in the team.

Is that the one where we start on the halfway line and end up kicking out for a throw in next to our corner flag?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Perhaps we could add control sticks to the players, Subutteo styles, and fans could take turns in controlling them.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I'll put my tin hat on and say AJ is the best crosser of the ball at the moment. At least he has variety with good low and accurate balls into the box. I also think he was developing a good understanding with Mooy.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Back in the day, both Rooney and Owen said they played better when Heskey was partnered with them. Murray can do the Heskey hold up/flick/link play stuff and he's a lot better finisher. Would be good to see how Maupay would fare if partnered with muzza.

Nice idea, unfortunately Murray is too slow for the PL and our game now, at least until the last 20 minutes when it slows down a bit.

We do need a 6' striker with the ability to head though

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'll put my tin hat on and say AJ is the best crosser of the ball at the moment. At least he has variety with good low and accurate balls into the box. I also think he was developing a good understanding with Mooy.

I agree, I'd like to see this, with Maupay up front, either Propper /Gross/Alzate behind, use Stephens as a sweeper and a barnardo, Dunk, Webster/Duffy Montoya back 4 and either Alzate/Propper/Bissouma as cm.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Nice idea, unfortunately Murray is too slow for the PL and our game now, at least until the last 20 minutes when it slows down a bit.

We do need a 6' striker with the ability to head though

And that is Giroud, but we will never spend that much.
I have always liked Giroud, always pops up and scores important goals just when needed, but never been a fans favourite or gets a decent run in a team, except for a while at Arsenal where he scored regularly but was not well liked by Gooners.
Bizarre.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And that is Giroud, but we will never spend that much.
I have always liked Giroud, always pops up and scores important goals just when needed, but never been a fans favourite or gets a decent run in a team, except for a while at Arsenal where he scored regularly but was not well liked by Gooners.
Bizarre.

Not a realistic target. Yes he is mistreated by Chelsea, but he is also an undisputed starter in the French NT who was the top scorer in Europa League last season. A world class striker. Us, Newcastle, Villa etc can keep dreaming, Giroud is a world class striker who will end up a big team competing for titles.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Back in the day, both Rooney and Owen said they played better when Heskey was partnered with them.

They were just saying that to make him feel better. It’s like the school nurse saying nits only like clean hair.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Not a realistic target. Yes he is mistreated by Chelsea, but he is also an undisputed starter in the French NT who was the top scorer in Europa League last season. A world class striker. Us, Newcastle, Villa etc can keep dreaming, Giroud is a world class striker who will end up a big team competing for titles.

He's also already agreed to join Inter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here