Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to talk about Dale

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He's gone, absolutely no doubt about it for me. Hopefully just waiting on getting a replacement in before he goes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hughton said more in the same interview which was essentially about how to keep a strong squad happy. Which is what i'm going with Icy.

""It doesn't mean [rotating the squad] will always be the case," Hughton said. "We've had midweek games and cup games as well.
"Sometimes I pre-plan something. It was my intention to bring back Beram and Siddy. They played especially well in the Derby game and a home win after that against Nottingham Forest.
"I've also got good scope in the wide areas with Kazenga (LuaLua) on the bench and Jamie Murphy, and we know what Ollie can gives us (in midfield). Apart from defence we've got really good options.
"We want to finish the window making sure we continue that and it's a little reminder that we are four games into a 46-game season. There will be lots of twists and turns, injuries, form, and we will need all these players."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...is__Why_a_draw_at_Reading_felt_like_a_defeat/

With absolutely no source I am going for - we have told him that he is going nowhere this window and are toughing it out. He quite possibly did refuse to play but if that got out it would make the situation even worse. We may still decide we have no option but to sell him but are hoping he can be convinced to hang around, giving full effort, until January. There will be a rethink in January if we can convince him to stay. I am sure the club are doing absolutely everything to convince him, whilst turning down all offers...so far.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think it is entirely possible that Stephens is angling for a move, if any sensible offers come in.

As I understand it a player is under contract and is interested in moving, then telling the club this will immediately invalidate any cut of the transfer money fro coming to them.
This seems a bit harsh and obviously could lead to some of the shenanigans we saw with Bridcutt.

If Prem teams come knocking with decent offers, I can see why a player would get unsettled and perceive the club to be standing in their way.
Hopefully this hasn't happened with Stephens, but I can see the players side of it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
With absolutely no source I am going for - we have told him that he is going nowhere this window and are toughing it out. He quite possibly did refuse to play but if that got out it would make the situation even worse. We may still decide we have no option but to sell him but are hoping he can be convinced to hang around, giving full effort, until January. There will be a rethink in January if we can convince him to stay. I am sure the club are doing absolutely everything to convince him, whilst turning down all offers...so far.

There is nothing amibiguous about Hughton's reply to this.

“One thing I can categorically tell you is he did not refuse to play. Dale has been excellent for us, he’s not that type of individual. He trains hard every day, he’s a very good professional.”

http://m.theargus.co.uk/sport/14696065.Hughton_plays_down_Stephens__absence/

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The only thing I find very odd about Hughton's explanation is the notion that training on his own will somehow make him more match fit than actually playing a game. Seems against everything I've ever understood about football in that the only way to get match fit is to play games. Always has been, always will be, so why not play him saturday. An 80% Stephens is still worth playing in my view and would have got him further fit.

If he now doesn't play tomorrow night, that can only mean he is off.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This. Shouldn't this put it to bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that article Chris is even suggesting that Dale will be here all this season - he says ''Theres a couple of weeks till the transfer window closes. Then I have a decision to make'' That is suggesting he will have all 4 midfielders to choose from after that. No doubt people will choose to ignore that because it doesn't fit in with juicy transfer speculation and Dale being a rebel, which of course he is not.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
In that article Chris is even suggesting that Dale will be here all this season - he says ''Theres a couple of weeks till the transfer window closes. Then I have a decision to make'' That is suggesting he will have all 4 midfielders to choose from after that. No doubt people will choose to ignore that because it doesn't fit in with juicy transfer speculation and Dale being a rebel, which of course he is not.

On NSC (yes, I know), last week didn't someone quote Mrs Stephens as wanting to stay in Sussex and that contract discussions were ongoing?

That's better news and I'll go with that and extra training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If he now doesn't play tomorrow night, that can only mean he is off.

Not sure about that. It'll be another scratch side, I don't think you can draw any conclusions from tomorrow nights lineup.

If he's not in the squad on Saturday though...

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
There is nothing amibiguous about Hughton's reply to this.

“One thing I can categorically tell you is he did not refuse to play. Dale has been excellent for us, he’s not that type of individual. He trains hard every day, he’s a very good professional.”

http://m.theargus.co.uk/sport/14696065.Hughton_plays_down_Stephens__absence/

Yes, I've already said that I (choose to) believe this. The alternative is to believe that 1. Stephens refused to play and 2. CH chose to tell a direct lie rather than fudge the issue, which he certainly could have done.

Neither of those things fit for me.

I have no doubt he did do more training on Saturday! But that doesn't mean other stuff isn't going on. That 'other stuff' could be anything though. New contract negotiations, tussles with other club over price, discussions with other club over personal terms...almost anything. We have no idea what's going on. My money would be on him leaving, but it is definitely not certain and I really really hope he stays. The high regard that he is held in by other players says a lot.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You cannot say what I can and cannot quote, even in jest.

Sorry if it offended you it was meant as joke saying what most peoples reaction would have been, but FWIW I agree with you. I think come 1st September 16 he will still be our player whether or not that is the same on 1 September 2017 is another question.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry if it offended you it was meant as joke saying what most peoples reaction would have been, but FWIW I agree with you. I think come 1st September 16 he will still be our player whether or not that is the same on 1 September 2017 is another question.

I wasn't offended. I was stating a fact.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
IF these reports of DS refusing to play are true, then please go. I don't care how good he is, if he's making himself unavailable and jeopardising results in the process, I'd rather he was gone, in exchange for decent money of course.

I stress, above applies IF the reports are correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here