Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to talk about Dale

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If true, I'll be hugely disappointed in Dale. He'll just be another spoilt little brat footballer to me. But I'll wait to see if true. If not true, I really hope he stays as his and Kayal's partnership is key & we've not actually seen it this season yet to my knowledge...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Seagulls boss explained the reasons behind reshuffling his central midfielders, with Steve Sidwell and Beram Kayal in the starting line-up at the expense of Oliver Norwood and Dale Stephens, who continued to build up his match fitness back at the training ground.

“We manoeuvred the team around a bit; we’re going through a heavy period of midweek, then Saturday games and we’ve got a lot of competition in those areas.

“My intention with Beram and Siddy was that they played in the first two games and we won the first two games.

“I decided to make a change in midweek, so my thinking was always to bring them back for this game.

“He [Dale] has missed a good chunk of pre-season; he was involved in three of those games, but didn’t play for a full 90 minutes in that period.

“He missed the first game of the season too and the midweek cup game. We felt that he would gain more from a couple of good days’ training yesterday and today so he’s back firing for midweek and next Saturday.”
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...ion-reading-3261206.aspx#dH7y1i9EECFRoLvj.99]

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This happened with Dunk last year, he was left out of squads as ' unsettled' but eventually signed a new deal. It may simply be Hughton's decision that he thinks he is best out of the team until the situation is resolved one way or another, as opposed to Stephens going on strike. But I obviously won't be surprised if he does leave

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The Seagulls boss explained the reasons behind reshuffling his central midfielders, with Steve Sidwell and Beram Kayal in the starting line-up at the expense of Oliver Norwood and Dale Stephens, who continued to build up his match fitness back at the training ground.

“We manoeuvred the team around a bit; we’re going through a heavy period of midweek, then Saturday games and we’ve got a lot of competition in those areas.

“My intention with Beram and Siddy was that they played in the first two games and we won the first two games.

“I decided to make a change in midweek, so my thinking was always to bring them back for this game.

“He [Dale] has missed a good chunk of pre-season; he was involved in three of those games, but didn’t play for a full 90 minutes in that period.

“He missed the first game of the season too and the midweek cup game. We felt that he would gain more from a couple of good days’ training yesterday and today so he’s back firing for midweek and next Saturday.”
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...ion-reading-3261206.aspx#dH7y1i9EECFRoLvj.99]

Hmm, Chris is not telling porkies is he? :D Smoke and mirrors?

I don't think Warren Aspinall believed him!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

Absolutely outrageous! I hope he's never seen in our beloved stripes again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hmm, Chris is not telling porkies is he? :D Smoke and mirrors?

I don't think Warren Aspinall believed him!

I think I would be more disappointed in Chris alleged lying, than in Stephen's alleged refusal to travel.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
All clubs / managers lie at some point despite what [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] will tell you :lol:

Otherwise they'd give 'secrets' away to rivals. Hope this isn't a case of that but could well be.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
All clubs / managers lie at some point despite what [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] will tell you :lol:

Otherwise they'd give 'secrets' away to rivals. Hope this isn't a case of that but could well be.

Indeed. It's a shame if someone as honourable as Chris was put in an awkward position by a player acting in an alleged downing of tools.

If it was me as that player and what the club via Chris has said was true. I would make a public statement to that effect.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed. It's a shame if someone as honourable as Chris was put in an awkward position by a player acting in an alleged downing of tools.

If it was me as that player and what the club via Chris has said was true. I would make a public statement to that effect.

It may be that Stephen's didn't want to travel. It could even be a private family matter, that he didn't want to be away from home this weekend. As fans, we get uptight about players, but we don't know the ins and outs of everyday life, and neither should we.

As I said before, there are very few facts but lots of gossip.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
same here if he has refused to play cos he wants to move then another brat of a footballer in the same mould as Buckley and co

IF, and I do mean IF, he has refused to travel/play rather than hand in a transfer request then there are a few words that fit those actions very well, selfish fxxking cxxt!

No one forces a player to sign a contract, they choose to. If you want to back out of a contract there are penalty clauses, in football it is called a transfer request. And let's not forget, sometimes a player morally owes a football club, eh Dale? FFS at least saw his contract out with honour, Beram Kayal has said that he is happy to play his contract through (I am sure we are trying to tempt him to sign).

Perhaps at the end of a players contract the FA should adjudicate on the value of a players registration? Obviously far less than if he was transfered with 3 years left on a contract, but it might allow a club to hold players to their legally binding obligations whilst at least recouping some of their investment.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Having been lucky enough to get a free NSC ticket at the sponsor's dinner a few years ago, I got to meet Dale. I found him humble, intelligent and down to earth with a good sense of humour. You'd imagine some low life like Grey going on strike but if Dale has that's really sad. I hope and trust he hasn't. Something dies when you do that, your career becomes all about money and not the fans. Look at Bridcutt & Buckley who may play for the two biggest clubs in the UK but are no longer Premiership players and not loved anything like they were at the Albion. Please stay Dale.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
It may be that Stephen's didn't want to travel. It could even be a private family matter, that he didn't want to be away from home this weekend. As fans, we get uptight about players, but we don't know the ins and outs of everyday life, and neither should we.

As I said before, there are very few facts but lots of gossip.

Yes I guess you are correct.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it possible CH told him he wouldnt be playing and offered him the chance to stay at home and go to Lancing to do some extra training. Which he took so yes he refused to travel as said but with the clubs approval.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here