Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We Just Played the First Europa League Match in our Club's History

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it hadn’t been for an unlucky bounce for Steele, it could’ve been a 2-2 draw, and, imo, a more deserving result. We live and learn, but importantly, to me, I was there.

On a side note, my grandson is at UEA, and was watching, but sent me a text to say a Brighton fan was watching with him.
if you have a daughter or granddaughter at UEA, that was her.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yep - all quite correct and valid.

I'm not moaning, but I do feel a little bit dispirited - we just didn't do ourselves justice tonight, sadly. I was so full of hope that we'd arrive on the European stage with a bang, and put down a marker of our intent in the competition.

Unfortunately, we had a collective "bad day in the office", but they don't come along very often and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the worst we play in the six group games.

Onwards and upwards!
This, but I still left the ground in good spirts, as my daughter reminded me Argentina lost their first game on the way to becoming world champions.
How can you not like that optimism.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
On paper AEK at the Amex was the easiest game we're gonna get in this competition. It's not looking good, we'll probably struggle to get out of the group now - and that's really deflating after the exhilaration of qualifying at the end of last season.

But yeah, in the grand scheme of things, it's amazing we're even there.

Alternatively, it was one match, one bad performance. We've got 5 more to redeem ourselves.

The season wasn't over after getting smashed by West Ham, was it?

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Like many on here I’m disappointed but not despondent. it is a great achievement to be where we are.

I think there are good lessons to be learnt. We were naive at times, we may have struggled with the occasion - it was a huge night for the players too. There are players who have to learn the Brighton system so this was a great experience for them.
we have to learn how to break down teams who get everyone behind the ball. We also need someone to step into Dunk’s shoes to lead at the back - I would like to see Veltman iin the team to do that.

to me Europe is a luxury we can enjoy and take great lessons from. A fantastic time to be a Brighton fan

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we had lots of positivity going into the game, the occasion, the history.

the team kinda let us down, the score flattered us as the players didnt play to their usual standard. saying so is part of following a team.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What a great night. Good atmosphere, exciting game, a bit unfortunate for all 3 goals (ask them to head the 1st like that again, 2nd to finish like that again, & 3rd to ricochet like that again). What's not to love- apart from the result.

VaR was MoTM
I know it’s time to be positive but they had more than three attempts at goal and a couple when they were hauled down as they were running through.

Great night but we lost by more than bad luck.

We’ll stuff Bournemouth!!

Nicks

I look at it as I've got three great away days to come in Europe ( ticket or no ticket for the last two).
I've would have bitten your hand off for that 10 years ago
Even though I done Le Harvre back in 2007( and that was a brilliant weekend)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I suppose it was quite a good introduction in a way. Given that AEK were arguably the weakest on paper, we really know how tough it will be now, especially with the essential reshuffles. Main thing is we forget that immediately and don’t let it overshadow Sunday.

Losing the first game isn’t ideal but plenty of teams do that and still progress. I’ll trust that we improve now the opener is out of the way.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Just thought it needed to be mentioned. There are a lot of reasons to moan, moreso when we lose, and there are threads that are doing that. I don't personally have anything against people moaning. But thought I'd just add this thread to the pile.

Just over a quarter of a century ago the club was staring oblivion in the face. Oblivion blinked first and now we are a Europa League Club.

Just over a decade ago we were scrambling around the lower leagues in the middle of an athletics track. We just played a notable European team with a decent recent history of european football in both the champions league and europa at the Amex.

We have European history, now.

I'm sure in conversations to come, I'll join in with the moans, but for now, I just wanted to put some positivity out there.
Well said and whilst we are capable of playing better, two of Athens goals came about from fortunate deflections .

Had Dunk been playing I have a feeling we probably won’t have lost last night .

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Why is it we cannot win the big matches, play off matches , semi finals and now our first match in Europe ,
would be nice for a change to win one of these matches

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Oddly, have been buzzing all morning after three hours sleep. That's probably the most I have ever "enjoyed" a defeat. Obviously a very frustrating match in itself but the occasion. If we can't enjoy these times we might as well jack football in. Plenty more time for redemption. Can't wait for the other Europa League fixtures.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Even though we lost, I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

I even bought one of the half and half scarves for my teenage daughter and said that it is something that she can tell her kids.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
This, but I still left the ground in good spirts, as my daughter reminded me Argentina lost their first game on the way to becoming world champions.
How can you not like that optimism.
As I mentioned to my dad yesterday, there's 18 points to play for in the Europa League, it's not like in the World Cup where if you lose your first game qualifying becomes a pretty difficult task. Not an ideal result, but we all know there'll be some memorable performances/results in this campaign along the way, we just like to do things unconventionally.

Last night was still an amazing occasion to be present at, despite any disappointment around the result.

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think it just shows that the standard is so much higher in the Europa League, they were quicker to the ball. It was interesting to see how much more of a different game it was to a premier league game. Looks like Villa had similar problems at their game against Legia (who are arguably a worse team) just need to adjust to the different styles of playing.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Loved the occasion and atmosphere, though not the rain at the end.

Great to experience a night like that and if it had been an easy game against a weak team .. well, what would have been the point of getting to this new level?

We'll learn and doubtless improve. I suspect this group is looking like a bit of a lottery and who knows, we could pick up some good results away from home as well as at the Amex. Nothing to fear, but plenty to learn.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
On paper AEK at the Amex was the easiest game we're gonna get in this competition. It's not looking good, we'll probably struggle to get out of the group now - and that's really deflating after the exhilaration of qualifying at the end of last season.

But yeah, in the grand scheme of things, it's amazing we're even there.
Something about matches not being played on paper...

Keep the faith – and all that nonsense :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here