"We have got a manager here now who is as good if not better than both of (Poyet + Oscar)"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Contrary to what some cynics (including me, at first) might believe, I understand that GG did, in fact, do this off his own bat rather than at the prompting of the club and had broached the possibility at an earlier date. It fits in well with similar remarks made by Elliott Bennett a week ago (although not the Poyet/Oscar stuff).

Although an admirer of Gus, I wonder how well he would have done if given the squad that Sami has had to deal with.

I presume the Naylor 2 NSC 0 post refers to earlier digs at the real AN to the effect that he gets all his stories from here. Well, he called Hyypia staying in the job after Millwall correctly (1-0) and now he - rather than any of his critics on here - gets a call from the club captain. 2-0.

And before anyone points out that, as the Albion correspondent of the local paper, he should be the person Greer calls if anyone, I agree. But it's amazing how many NSCers seem to think that they know more than he does, despite the fact that he talks to players*, coaches and officials on a daily basis.

*NB: Shouting 'You're ***, Forster-Caskey" from 12 rows back in the WSL doesn't count as talking to a player.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I presume the Naylor 2 NSC 0 post refers to earlier digs at the real AN to the effect that he gets all his stories from here. Well, he called Hyypia staying in the job after Millwall correctly (1-0) and now he - rather than any of his critics on here - gets a call from the club captain. 2-0.

Yeah, he called Hyppia staying alright.

AN @ 9:41pm

[tweet]543521004983967745[/tweet]

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Yeah, he called Hyppia staying alright.

AN @ 9:41pm

[tweet]543521004983967745[/tweet]

Was that not his personal opinion, while the Hyypia staying was after talking to someone at the club?
You seem very anti Mr Naylor

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And then, for good measure, he just happened to approach BBC Sussex of his own free will to do pretty much the same - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30551771

I'm not buying that.
So there's a good chance the club asked him, as captain, to support the manager, and arranged for him to speak to the media. But I still wouldn't expect the club to tell him exactly what to say (or for him to do so if told). It's also possible that Greer does actually believe in the manager.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was that not his personal opinion, while the Hyypia staying was after talking to someone at the club?
You seem very anti Mr Naylor

Dunno, but as I've already said I was in the Amex press lounge on Friday night and then out with people who would know the sacked/not sacked status immediately after for a late curry.

As a result I talked down the "He's gone..." thread on here...

.... so the same club source that told me about Alex Revell and the Coca Cola Kid ( do a search if you don't believe me ) has just told me SH has been sacked.

A number of things :

1. No, I won't name my source
2. Don't go and place a bet on it - it's not my fault if it is wrong
3. Take it with a very small pinch of salt - he's been wrong before but also right before ( as my posting history will confirm )

No he wasn't.

(sorry - I know this looks like after-timing but I couldn't bring myself to look at NSC last night.)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So there's a good chance the club asked him, as captain, to support the manager, and arranged for him to speak to the media. But I still wouldn't expect the club to tell him exactly what to say (or for him to do so if told). It's also possible that Greer does actually believe in the manager.

I'm not sure many first team squad players at any club need any encouragement, when asked on the record, to support an official club line. It would be professional suicide to not do so.

The few times it does happen always get a fair bit of press but still generally happen after the manager has left.

Would Hyypia be spoken about so highly today if he had been relieved of his duties? (No)

Would favourable sounds be made about the training methods etc of a new manger had there been one this week? (Yes)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

And, finally, there was this from me on Monday morning when there was a bit of a "he'll be sacked today" frenzy going on: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...t-Noon-today&p=6708093&viewfull=1#post6708093

I'm pretty sure AN would have spoken to exactly the same person I did in order to form a "he's not being sacked" view. The difference is he'll write and promote an article on the 'news' and I'll post a few words on a thread.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would Hyypia be spoken about so highly today if he had been relieved of his duties? (No)

Would favourable sounds be made about the training methods etc of a new manger had there been one this week? (Yes)
I don't disagree. I'm still surprised he chose (and I believe it was a choice) to say what he did though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports