Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We had 30 goalkeepers in our Withdean years.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Chris & Stuart Jones were the ones I was trying to think of who had the same names.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Scott Flinders is the regular keeper for Hartlepool. With keepers ,if they are second or third choice they rarely play over the years.
It can be a strange life.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There was one we had on trial - played one game (possibly a friendly) around 2007 or 2008 and his surname was 'Gay'. That's all I remember.

EDIT - He's not on the list but I'm certain that he existed and played for us. Am I imagining this?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There was one we had on trial - played one game (possibly a friendly) around 2007 or 2008 and his surname was 'Gay'. That's all I remember.

Danny Gay :thumbsup:

3ajy3a3a.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well remembered! Blimey - I know an obscure fact about the Albion.

Presume he was a triallist as I'm pretty certain he never played a competitive game.

I'm assuming that was him, he's the only goalkeeper called Gay I've ever heard of.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Richard Martin? came through at the same time as Sullivan, big thing expected of him.

Did we not name John Keely as subsitute keeper at one point, not sure if that counts?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Mark, Mark, Mark somebody or other- the guy who came on for Kuipers when he got subbed at half time at Southend.

Cartwright, that's it!

I remember one game at Withdean he got wiped out and the ball fell to the opposition striker, who missed from about 2 yards, still somehow remember that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I remember one game at Withdean he got wiped out and the ball feel to the opposition striker who missed from about 2 yards, still somehow remember that.

He started out OK as I recall but then made a couple of errors that cost him his place. And back came Michel Kuipers.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Beeney ? or was he just end of Goldstone times ?

Way before the end of the Goldstone even.

We'd had the combined talents of Nicky Rust & Mark Ormerod in goal for ages by the time we left home. Beeney was sold to Leeds in 1993, four years before the final Goldstone game.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Way before the end of the Goldstone even.

We'd had the combined talents of Nicky Rust & Mark Ormerod in goal for ages by the time we left home. Beeney was sold to Leeds in 1993, four years before the final Goldstone game.

And boy did we need that sale at the time !

Ben Roberts was the best of them for me - some of his saves during that play-off season were small miracles

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Ben Roberts was the best of them for me - some of his saves during that play-off season were small miracles

Agreed, but the Dave Beasent impressed me most, what was he 40 at the time? was still a quailty keeper, his drop kicks at times cleared the length of the Withdean Pitch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nobody has mentioned the chap we signed from non-league (Cambridge, maybe?) as cover, towards the end of Withdean. He never played, or even made a bench.

It'll come to me.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Who was the keeper who played towards the end of the div 3 title season, think he played at Port Vale away?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Nothing beats FDM's performance vs. Bristol City - INSPIRED. That + Lee Steele being about five yards offside for the winning goal was a great day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here