Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We could start the season with:-

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The standard of teams in the championship next year is the highest it's been for years, I maintain that back 5 would see us in a relegation battle by Xmas.
Moot anyway as I believe we will sign players after July 1st.

cant see it. We hear this every season.

Championship will be crazy again next year with anyone able to beat anyone on any given day.

Good start and consistancy is the key

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I want a couple of (maybe even a few) big statement signings as much as anyone else, but in the meantime, I'd be well happy with us starting:-

Chicksen, Dunk, March, Ince, & JFC.
With Walton & Maksimenko on the bench.

Looking at that, based on last seasons form, England under 20's player of the tournament JFC could end up the weakest link.

That team won't let Tony/Sami/us down, what's not to love.

Thanks for the JFC PotT info. I like those five too, and have highest hopes for Ince and March.
And as regards the 'you don't win anything with kids' comments, only JFC, March and Walton are still teenagers. Not sure what their ages are, which suggests that we could put in a handy request to AZ to update the contract sticky (when it returns, hopefully soon) and include age/date of birth details. All of the five mentioned have plenty of experience, and mostly Championship experience.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I did attend the games back then and believe me he played players like McGonigal and Jest who would have been more suited to county league, I think it was the team that got us relegated to division 4 had more youngsters in. But Curtis did favour youth and had built his reputation on it as I remember.

Yes, that was the season he had a load of young players - although only McGonigal was a regular (and he played the following season as well, so couldn't have been all bad). Curtis was sacked in February, although the club was not in the relegation zone then (just hovering outside it). It did take two months to appoint a manager, by which time, we were nearly down.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ankergren

Bruno~Greer~Dunk~Chicksen

Buckley~Stephens~Crofts~Lualua

Mackail-Smith~Ulloa

Subs: Walton, Ince, Calderon, Caskey, Toko, March, Dickenson

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2002/2003 we started with kids and loans and were relegated by October with Tinselhead as manager, could be the same thing happening this time
The only players 20 and under, that season were:-

Hinshlewood (7), Hammond (4), Harding (1) and Virgo (3).

That's 15 games total they played in, and 3 of whom would probably class themselves as 'Championship' footballers.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
2002/2003 we started with kids and loans and were relegated by October with Tinselhead as manager, could be the same thing happening this time

The current crop are miles better than the likes of Marney and Wilkinson who were regulars in that side.

It does show how urgent reinforcements are though as I can't see our defence being very organised unless we get the new faces signed in time for the pre-season friendlies.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The current crop are miles better than the likes of Marney and Wilkinson who were regulars in that side.

12 games between them - scarcely regulars (and both were over 20, so stretching the definition of kids a bit). But yes, the current crop are much better

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
12 games between them - scarcely regulars (and both were over 20, so stretching the definition of kids a bit). But yes, the current crop are much better

Fair enough. I guess most of those appearances were during the 12 match losing streak.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Marney & Wilkinson up front, I REST my case

Not really well rested though, is it.
Barcelona would have got relegated with those 2 up from.
Had Bobby been fit we may not have lost 20% of our game 0-1.
We might not have got relegated with 'kids and loan players'.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
here we are in the warmth of June still, new manager and the prospect of lots of new players, not a ball kicked, and **** me we are already relegated.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Ankergren

Bruno~Greer~Dunk~Chicksen

Buckley~Stephens~Crofts~Lualua

Mackail-Smith~Ulloa

Subs: Walton, Ince, Calderon, Caskey, Toko, March, Dickenson

It doesn't sound good for Crofty to start the season, so Toko in from the start and Mr Attitude on the bench?

But we are then at the bottom of the barrel, so lets hope there are no further pre season injuries.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You all say you trust in TB but some of the comments on here suggest otherwise. Im sure we will have a new keeper come August and few quality additions to the squad.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It doesn't sound good for Crofty to start the season, so Toko in from the start and Mr Attitude on the bench?

But we are then at the bottom of the barrel, so lets hope there are no further pre season injuries.
Having Buckley, Lualua, Crofts, Macca, Stephens and Bruno all injury free at the same time may have been a bit optimistic (!) but that looks like the team as it stands.

There is sure to be new players coming in (and probably some leaving), but that team looks pretty decent to me already.

I think the future is looking pretty bright.

:)

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
You all say you trust in TB but some of the comments on here suggest otherwise. Im sure we will have a new keeper come August and few quality additions to the squad.

I said that I am expecting some good signings, but possibly Crofty not being available and the thought of injuries to the like of Greer and Dunk does rather bring home our level of strength in depth at present. Or do you think otherwise?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bit of rewriting history there. Just checked that season and we didn't actually enter the relegation zone until 10 March, scarcely relegated by January. It wasn't a particularly youthful team either: regulars included Baker, Baxter, Bertolini, Burtenshaw. Goodchild, Laverick, Jennings, MacNeill, (Dave) Smith and Nicholas (signed that season for a club record fee) - all experienced players and all played more than 20 games, most played more than 30. Curtis did play a bunch of kids at the end of the season but we'd been relegated by then.

That was my first season at the Goldstone. They seemed old to me. One was even called "Granny".

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I said that I am expecting some good signings, but possibly Crofty not being available and the thought of injuries to the like of Greer and Dunk does rather bring home our level of strength in depth at present. Or do you think otherwise?
We need to replace Upson with a quality CB which will be no easy task.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

Are you really expecting some good signings before the start of the season? I fear you may be disappointed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here