Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are where we should be. Where do the Potter haters think we should be in the league?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think we will be in the relegation mix as we always have been in this league.

And if you look historically, most of the non established top 6 teams have been relegated at some point. I’m sure the club accept this, of course we don’t want to, but relegation is a likely scenario at some point.

Our goal according to Tony and Paul is to ultimately be self sustaining and to become a top 10 team. That is a long term goal and as they have said themselves, there will be some bumps in the way.

So again, I appeal to the Potter critics. Where should we be in the league? Top 6? Top 8? Top 10? Because to date Potter has kept us up and we have not been in the relegation zone.

Its worrying that all the teams that we aspire to be in and around in the division are all progressing this season. Southampton 23 pts...WHU 20...Villa 18...Palace 17...Newcastle 17. All have won at least 5 games already. All will definitely finish comfortably above us. Leeds are likely to finish above us. That leaves three from five. And we are firmly in that mix.
We are poorly coached defensively and its costing us dear, let alone our lack of quality in the final third. To me, we are mixed up at the moment. He keeps tinkering and regularly gets it wrong. We could easily be in the relegation zone on Wednesday.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He's only as good, like Hughton before him, as the level of investment in EPL-quality players. So I'd have us, er, about 16th :moo:

Whoosh or no whoosh, that just about clinches it. You ARE Mrs Potter :lolol:

What are you talking about old boy? Had a few drinks?

So to clarify your thoughts. You think Potter should be performing in the league as well as Hughton did. Which he is...

So what’s the problem?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I expect us to fight back after a crap first half. We didn't. The substitutions felt like an acceptance of defeat rather than options to get us back in the game. I don't like that. The players don't shout at each other for the shit passes and non crosses. Why not?

Simples. No leaders on the pitch

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
17th in the wages league

Anywhere above 17th is good, anywhere below isn’t

Both Potter and Hughton have kept the club at least 17th

That’s it

Hughton was sacked - he kept us up twice

Potter hasn’t yet been sacked, and has kept us us up once, playing mostly attractive but frustrating football
Lately it’s not attractive and very frustrating

In summary, I expect us to be 17th, the Board may have a different target

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The club are getting a lot right developing players, but some of the money we're saving on the likes of Dunk, White, March, Alzate needs to be spent on a quality striker.

Teams down the bottom have moved to safety by buying Ings, Wilson, Watkins, yet we have not done that and so we'll continue to flirt with relegation until we bring in a proven striker. Sell Bissouma, White or Dunk if you have to because we have some cover but this striker crisis has been going on for too long.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
17th in the wages league

Anywhere above 17th is good, anywhere below isn’t

Both Potter and Hughton have kept the club at least 17th

That’s it

Hughton was sacked - he kept us up twice

Potter hasn’t yet been sacked, and has kept us us up once, playing mostly attractive but frustrating football
Lately it’s not attractive and very frustrating

In summary, I expect us to be 17th, the Board may have a different target

Exactly... thank you. And like it or not, this is where we are currently.

If we do go down, I suspect that will lead to some conversations. But given the wage budget, we are probably where we should be.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is a thinly veiled way of telling people that they’re not allowed to be frustrated, isn’t it?

No, it's a thinly veiled attempt to help you keep your bed dry tonight :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Its worrying that all the teams that we aspire to be in and around in the division are all progressing this season. Southampton 23 pts...WHU 20...Villa 18...Palace 17...Newcastle 17. All have won at least 5 games already. All will definitely finish comfortably above us. Leeds are likely to finish above us. That leaves three from five. And we are firmly in that mix.
We are poorly coached defensively and its costing us dear, let alone our lack of quality in the final third. To me, we are mixed up at the moment. He keeps tinkering and regularly gets it wrong. We could easily be in the relegation zone on Wednesday.

Stains 7 wins, us 2.

Is Hassenhuttl far better than Potter at earning wins, or do the club recruit inferior players?

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
Oh jeez, not this again!! It's a totally illogical question. We are where we should be given the results. Most probably where we deserve to be. The issue is the way we are playing and the fact we've only won 5 in twenty-whatever it is matches now. You don't need to be Einstein to realise that, over a season, is relegation form and people are worried. And that is either down to the manager or the players or both. The trouble is that it's not easy to change the players, so unfortunately that puts Potter in the firing line. I think he's a really good guy, and a credit to the club, but I'm starting to have severe doubts about him now. If you can't see why people are questioning him now then I don't think there's much anyone say to help you.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If he didn't tinker so much I'm certain we'd have more points now. We played well against Vile and Liverpool, he completely changed things and we're crap for a few games. I think we struggle to build momentum for that reason.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
WE are WHERE we are because of the low budget we play with, no getting away from that.

How to change where we sit in the table season to season is a MASSIVE question of which we have no answer if wage structures don't change for the better. I higher amount of luck might help get us higher than the norm, a lower amount of luck the lower we will sit.

On average we will always be around the bottom third whatever the season unless we have change in our structure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here