Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are now one of the most popular Premier League teams

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I watch most of my Premier League games as a neutral and I find it harder and harder to find sides that I have even a slight soft spot for.

Arsenal – playing nice football but I always think their fans treated Wenger in a particularly classless way.
Liverpool – wallowing in manufactured YNWA sentimentality that is packaged and sold to armchair fans in Surrey.
Newcastle – used to like them but can't now they're financed by the beheaders.
Man City – great team but another problematic ownership and fans that haven't kept pace with the quality on the pitch.
Chelsea – who doesn't want that club to crash and burn, at least for a while?
Everton – always kind of interesting to watch a bigger side facing life in the Championship.
Villa – dull.
Wolves – dull.
Bournemouth – Bournemouth.
Palace – Palace.
Leeds – Leeds.
Brentford – admire what they've achieved but not exactly easy on the eye.
Spurs – enough armchair fans already and a massive sense of entitlement.
Man Utd – enough armchair fans already and a massive sense of entitlement.

OK, I can't summon up huge amounts of negativity for Southampton, Forest, West Ham or Leicester, and everyone has a vague affection for Fulham. But I wouldn't rush home to catch their games on Sky.

That just leaves Brighton. A city that a lot of people seem to enjoy, with a club playing brilliant football, owned by a fan, and dishing out regular bloody noses to the elite. What's not to like?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We're really not.
Potters appointment put us on watch for nerdy football hipsters,
De Zerbi's appointment even more so.
Most pundits and people who watch a lot of football recognize we play nice football.
Having a WC winner gives us a mote of attention elsewhere.

But we still barely impinge on the global PL fanbase, or the massive UK hoard of plastics who picked a big side years ago to shore up their personality.
Exactly. And repeated needy threads stating that we’re “well run”, which is bleeding obvious, won’t stop little kids in Bangkok or Delhi wanting Liverpool and Madrid shirts

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But it's not that those is it?

It's a thread by a Brighton fan who has decided "We have become a neutrals favourite".
Not only in this country but across the globe.
I would suggest, everywhere non Brighton fans look across the socials, Brighton don't even register.
And I won't believe him until he provides us with evidence.

He should create a poll.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I was looking at some old photos of the Goldstone the other day and getting quite emotional, remembering my youth in the South East terrace (where it was £3 a ticket for Junior Seagulls), in awe of Nelson, Bremner, Codner etc. Getting the bus back to Brighton after a game.

Then begging lifts to Gillingham as a teenager from friends parents and thinking my days of watching the Albion might be coming to an end.

The going to Withdean, a pint in the Sportsman after a brisk stride from Preston Park Station. Having a book of paper tickets and keeping them in a drawer at home. Walking up to Queens Road shop to buy an away match ticket over the counter for cash.

I loved getting away from work early and realising I could make the game in time, rushing to the ground and buying a ticket at the turnstile. Or ringing the club shop in the morning and picking the ticket up from the ground.

I love the fact we are mixing it with the big boys now. I can watch us on MotD now instead of 30 seconds of highlights in the FL programme. Love the fact my work mates in Manchester actually know a bit about the Albion. Most of them support Man City or Stockport County and I get some respect for still going to Albion games.

But I do miss us being shit. I think the all round football and match day experience for me was better. I work shifts, weekends, 250 miles from Brighton. I don't know my shifts that far in advance, and that makes it nearly impossible to go to games these days. I could never finish work early a race to the ground anymore. I still manage a few away games up here and won't forget us playing United off the park in the season opener for a while.

But for all of those people loving the fact we are in the spotlight, I'm neutral to it.

If for any reason we became shit again in the future - and it could happen - it wouldn't be the end of the world. Not for me anyway.

Being first on Match of the Day, Lawrenson predicting we will win or Garth Crooks selecting our players for the team of the week is really not important.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I watch most of my Premier League games as a neutral and I find it harder and harder to find sides that I have even a slight soft spot for.

Arsenal – playing nice football but I always think their fans treated Wenger in a particularly classless way.
Liverpool – wallowing in manufactured YNWA sentimentality that is packaged and sold to armchair fans in Surrey.
Man City – great team but another problematic ownership and fans that haven't kept pace with the quality on the pitch.
Everton – always kind of interesting to watch a bigger side facing life in the Championship.
Villa – dull.
Wolves – dull.
Palace – Palace.
Leeds – Leeds.

OK, I can't summon up huge amounts of negativity for Southampton, Forest, West Ham or Leicester, and everyone has a vague affection for Fulham. But I wouldn't rush home to catch their games on Sky.

That just leaves Brighton. A city that a lot of people seem to enjoy, with a club playing brilliant football, owned by a fan, and dishing out regular bloody noses to the elite. What's not to like?
I think the rule is that the more times you play a team, the more reasons you find to dislike them. I used to like watching a few premier league teams in the old days. I find it hard to stomach pretty much all of them now

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
TB & GB are absolute geniuses.
I dunno man, he has his moments but I think genius is stretching it... TB though, agree with that.
Certainly seen more interest in the last 6 months or so when I talk about Brighton in the smoking area at pubs etc. but its still really Liverpool/Manchester United (and a bit of Arsenal) dominating discussions .

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
I dunno man, he has his moments but I think genius is stretching it... TB though, agree with that.
Certainly seen more interest in the last 6 months or so when I talk about Brighton in the smoking area at pubs etc. but its still really Liverpool/Manchester United (and a bit of Arsenal) dominating discussions .
This is where we need you to work harder Swansman!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Villa – dull.
Wolves – dull.
Palace – Palace.
Leeds – Leeds.

I absolutely don't have a vague affection for Fulham.
I'd be quite happy to see that club flushed down the toilet.
Otherwise broadly agree. The only negative response to being a Brighton fan I've ever had was from some slightly odd lad in a pub toilet in Leeds. Even the other Leeds fans there thought it was strange.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know quite a few people who showed no interest at all in the Albion, other than a few condescending remarks, now they are bloody texting me during our games :lolol:

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I believe we are looked at by the top side's fans as dangerous when we play them but in turn they're hopeful we can take points off their rivals at the top. That will change if we consistently challenge at the top. To the rest we are pointed at "I want one".

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
As a certain Irishman once said , the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about .

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I absolutely don't have a vague affection for Fulham.
I'd be quite happy to see that club flushed down the toilet.
Otherwise broadly agree. The only negative response to being a Brighton fan I've ever had was from some slightly odd lad in a pub toilet in Leeds. Even the other Leeds fans there thought it was strange.
I have to disagree re Fulham. Decent, knowledgeable fan base and still a community club in the heart of London. The fans I meet on a daily basis are highly impressed with our progress.

Besides, my income would drop considerably if they got relegated!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here