Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are not just unlucky

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting piece.

I agree that luck doesn’t come into it, except the lost point against Manure where time added on time added on was excessive.

We’re failing to tuck away chances, Ryan and the defence have been suspect, unable to concentrate on dogged defence for 90 minutes.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Are we saying that if we scored more goals and conceded fewer we would have more points?

Well I never.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'Marginal Pains is brought to you in partnership with ​MANSCAPED™​, the very best out there in terms of men’s below-the-waist grooming. ​MANSCAPED has created precision-engineered tools for your family jewels to make sure you have an unrivalled grooming experience.'

:ohmy:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
'Marginal Pains is brought to you in partnership with ​MANSCAPED™​, the very best out there in terms of men’s below-the-waist grooming. ​MANSCAPED has created precision-engineered tools for your family jewels to make sure you have an unrivalled grooming experience.'

Isn't that just describing VAR:shrug:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We’ve scored 11 in 8 games. Defending is the problem.

I’m not sure it’s as simple as that. If you told me that we were playing Burnley, Palace and West Brom and that we’d have 44 shots and only concede 2 goals I’d be expecting more than 3 points. Our finishing has been terrible, we’re not great at defending set pieces but the defence isn’t that bad. Remember, of the 14 goals that we’ve conceded 4 have been penalties (3 of which should never have been awarded) with Chelsea, Everton and Man Utd accounting for 10 of them. That means we’ve conceded 4 goals against Burnley, Palace, Newcastle, West Brom and Spurs.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I think the fact that we were prepared to spend big by actively pursuing Nunez to solve our goalscoring problem and Martinez for the goalkeeping weakness shows that the club are totally aware of the weaknesses.
But obviously there is a financial ceiling and we also need to be an attractive club to join.
On this occasion Benfica and Villa were more exciting propositions and prepared to pay and could afford more money.

We can only spend what our budget allows, but I'm encouraged that we are slowly edging closer to other clubs with our long term vision.
Slow and steady does it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think the fact that we were prepared to spend big by actively pursuing Nunez to solve our goalscoring problem and Martinez for the goalkeeping weakness shows that the club are totally aware of the weaknesses.
But obviously there is a financial ceiling and we also need to be an attractive club to join.
On this occasion Benfica and Villa were more exciting propositions and prepared to pay and could afford more money.

We can only spend what our budget allows, but I'm encouraged that we are slowly edging closer to other clubs with our long term vision.
Slow and steady does it.

Agreed. Martinez and Nunez were the two main rumours from the summer, many refuse to believe there’s an issue with Ryan but seemingly the club have identified it. I’m sure they’re still working on improving both positions or might even wish to persevere with Sanchez, I think he was unlucky to be dropped after the Spurs game.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I listened to an excellent podcast the other day on the goings on behind the scenes at Blackburn after the Venkys took control (link below if anyone cares). Halfway through they switch from a tale about singing Raul or Shane Long to shaving their ballsacks.

I never knew about this emerging market.

https://www.sporf.com/blackburn-and-venkys-a-bizarre-tale-of-football-ownership/

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m not sure it’s as simple as that. If you told me that we were playing Burnley, Palace and West Brom and that we’d have 44 shots and only concede 2 goals I’d be expecting more than 3 points. Our finishing has been terrible, we’re not great at defending set pieces but the defence isn’t that bad. Remember, of the 14 goals that we’ve conceded 4 have been penalties (3 of which should never have been awarded) with Chelsea, Everton and Man Utd accounting for 10 of them. That means we’ve conceded 4 goals against Burnley, Palace, Newcastle, West Brom and Spurs.

All of this.

I'll add my customary defence of Ryan by pointing out not only has he faced a stupid amount of penalties, but he's also been on the recieving end of a 'once in a lifetime - never to be repeated' goal.
As well as an impossible to save deflection.

All that said with such luck, on Saturday, I now fully expect him to make 4 decent saves (obvs as it's Ryan they become regulation) 1 world class save (decent) and to throw the ball over his shoulder, for the Villa winning goal, on the 89 minute.

This is life.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Slow and steady does it.

This with cow bells, flashing lights and a fog horn...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yet as the article says have the best xGA of any team in the league.

It’s not as simple as just looking at the raw numbers.

Are you suggestiong that you can't boil complexity down to a a few simple words that you then repeat as a mantra?

Four legs good, two legs bad?

I'll need to sit down now and have a think about that. I was dead set on applying for the manager's job with a simple plan to instruct the players to 'hoof it' and 'get into him'. I am now......crushed.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Slow and steady does it.
Have you read the agents plight on Nunez, I will trim the story at the beginning of the window we were the only club seriously interested in Nunez, we flapped about with low bids he mentions £12m Almeria wanted £20m from the outset. Benfica originally wanted to sign Cavani this deal didn’t happen and as we know he ended up at Manure. After Cavani collapsed Benfica turn the attention to Nunez we upped the bid allegedly, eventually Benfica now desperate went £25m to secure the player a player now tipped to have the potential to be one of the worlds best Strikers :facepalm: If we had not messed about penny pinching at the start with Almeria and paid what they wanted he would be playing for us this season. As always we went for quantity over quality again a load of players probably not good enough to start a PL match. Hence why we’ve never seen the Swiss kid play.

The recruitment team must be so frustrated the amount of players they find and financially with the policy of not spending £20m they all sign elsewhere or stay at their clubs.

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Have you read the agents plight on Nunez, I will trim the story at the beginning of the window we were the only club seriously interested in Nunez, we flapped about with low bids he mentions £12m Almeria wanted £20m from the outset. Benfica originally wanted to sign Cavani this deal didn’t happen and as we know he ended up at Manure. After Cavani collapsed Benfica turn the attention to Nunez we upped the bid allegedly, eventually Benfica now desperate went £25m to secure the player a player now tipped to have the potential to be one of the worlds best Strikers :facepalm: If we had not messed about penny pinching at the start with Almeria and paid what they wanted he would be playing for us this season. As always we went for quantity over quality again a load of players probably not good enough to start a PL match. Hence why we’ve never seen the Swiss kid play.

It's all ifs and buts.
You and I will never know how the agent might have played it. I wouldn't of been surprised that if we had offered the asking price initially that the agent wouldn't have gone straight to Benfica asking if they wanted to offer more.
It's all just a great big eBay with counter bids being possible until the clock stops.

We can go backwards and forth disputing what might have happened, but no one will ever know including the agent.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

The recruitment team must be so frustrated the amount of players they find and financially with the policy of not spending £20m they all sign elsewhere or stay at their clubs.

As we were the only suitor when we made our bid, of course we went in low. That's business.

That piece is typical after timing.

If we opened with a bid offering the asking price we'd be foolish, soon to be skint.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

It's what we do :shrug:

It's not the first time and I doubt it will be the last unfortunately :down:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here