[Albion] We are no better than last season

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Potter has had a lot of challenges thrown at him and he's overcome many - breaking down the low block is a challenge all top clubs that can dominate play have to learn, and its glaringly obvious - but there's also no reason to believe that this challenge can't be overcome either.

It doesn't need to be Potterball that overcomes this. It could be Potterball mark 2 where for instance we play the long ball more often or something along that ilk, You know win ugly sometimes. I'm not saying use tactics like that too much, but if it counters teams playing like Sheff Utd surely its worth having in our armour.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't know why people are getting their knickers in a twist over yesterday's result. There are always gonna be good and bad performances, good and bad results over the course of a season and so it has proved yet again.

This is a good season. The team are safe from going down virtually, so job done with some tidy fan pleasing performances along the way.

All 4 seasons until now I have always had confidence the Club would stay up and I haven't ever wavered from that; however, I am not as confident for next season. There needs to be a massive improvement in the Squad because I think Brighton will lose at least two very influential players in the Summer.

If Bournemouth get the others final Promotion place from the Championship then the 3 teams coming up will have decent squads once they upgrade a bit in the Summer.

Brighton fans are no different to any other fans. They love having their bollocks tickled by the media when they go on about the nice free flowing football. And it is nice to watch occasionally. And that's because the Manager is very " Brave " in how he plays. It isn't tactical genius or anything like that. All Clubs could try it if they wanted to. Even Burnley. They just choose not to and play more to the strengths of the players they have at their respective clubs.

Potter does the opposite. He chooses the system of the remit he was given when he joined and trys to make the players fit that system. The obvious misfit fans notice in trying to do that being Dan Burn as an overlapping full back.

I think the fans quite rightly should pat Graham Potter on the back because he has over achieved. He has kept the Club up twice playing Brave Football with players who don't all fit with what he is trying to do.

So I think next year will be the difficult one for him. If the Club let some of the key players go and don't replace them adequately then next season I think could be a difficult one. Quite simply because I think that it will be a lot more competitive at the bottom with 3 decent teams coming up.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Where am I slagging "him" off?

I've stated a fact that we are no better than last season (and, in fact, our first PL season as well) without using the "P" word once in the OP.

Its completely implied, its invited loads of others to come on to this thread and lay into him, you've argued back against people defending him, you've happily admitted slagging him off in the past, your comments on the matchday thread were aimed straight at GP, so come on, be honest about it.

Anyway, your 'fact' is based solely on points tally. But answer me this: Our stated aim is to be a top ten side. Do you think the gap between the way we play now and the way we will need to play to be a top-ten side is exactly the same or greater than it was last season, or in either of our first-two premier league seasons?

I and many will argue that no, we are a lot closer to achieving the qualities needed to be a top-ten side now than at any point prior, that on that basis we are better than last season 'fact', hence the frustration of last night is huge for all of us, but not a reason to turn on the coach and players and certainly not a reason to want to change course.

Imagine if you like a lake behind a dam being filled with water. You can fill it and fill it, but until it overflows the dam there is no change to the river downstream - but if you keep on your course one day the lake will overflow the dam and all that effort is rewarded. Its a shite metaphor but the first that came to mind. Rome wasn't built in a day, if you prefer.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
It doesn't need to be Potterball that overcomes this. It could be Potterball mark 2 where for instance we play the long ball more often or something along that ilk, You know win ugly sometimes. I'm not saying use tactics like that too much, but if it counters teams playing like Sheff Utd surely its worth having in our armour.

Quite. In fact I think we've all noticed a lot more long balls being used in the past few months, although not so much yesterday. Yesterday I saw us using more width and driving to the touchline more towards the end, I saw corners being different, we saw us switch to a back three without wingbacks in the second half - there are always tweaks and things being tried, it has very much been an experimental and building season in many ways.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
He’s had several attempts at it this season and so far come up way short.

Yup, its clear. Its not easy either, our low block has comfortably kept Chelsea out at Stamford Bridge and Liverpool out at Anfield, and kept Man City and Man Utd at bay for large periods at the Etihad and Old Trafford.

But like I say, he's solved a lot of other issues this season and thus why assume he's permanently failed on this one?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Quite. In fact I think we've all noticed a lot more long balls being used in the past few months, although not so much yesterday. Yesterday I saw us using more width and driving to the touchline more towards the end, I saw corners being different, we saw us switch to a back three without wingbacks in the second half - there are always tweaks and things being tried, it has very much been an experimental and building season in many ways.

In that case we haven't found the formula yet, surely thats a little worrying. There is definately ways of beating the bottom three teams as they have lost 71 games between them. Yet we haven't found what it is.

pigcity

Dec 1, 2020
Potter is in jeopardy now. Doubt if we will beat last season’s points tally(need 8 points from 5 games), 6 points from possible 24 against teams below us, most points dropped from winning positions with a manager not sacked yet, have not won a game this season after going behind and finished above WHU and Villa last season. TB was pretty ruthless with Houghton.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst I'm frustrated with the predictability of so many of our games, I remain absolutely delighted with the direction of travel under Potter.

It feels as though we are so close to being an absolutely cracking Premier League side. In fact we are an absolutely cracking Premier League side, capable of going toe-to-toe with pretty much every other side in the league, including teams that absolutely steamrollered us in our first couple of seasons in the top flight.

Where we're falling short, obviously, is in the final third where we can xG with the best of them but repeatedly fail to convert that to all-important goals. I'm happy to believe and trust that will come.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its completely implied, its invited loads of others to come on to this thread and lay into him, you've argued back against people defending him, you've happily admitted slagging him off in the past, your comments on the matchday thread were aimed straight at GP, so come on, be honest about it.

Anyway, your 'fact' is based solely on points tally. But answer me this: Our stated aim is to be a top ten side. Do you think the gap between the way we play now and the way we will need to play to be a top-ten side is exactly the same or greater than it was last season, or in either of our first-two premier league seasons?

I and many will argue that no, we are a lot closer to achieving the qualities needed to be a top-ten side now than at any point prior, that on that basis we are better than last season 'fact', hence the frustration of last night is huge for all of us, but not a reason to turn on the coach and players and certainly not a reason to want to change course.

Imagine if you like a lake behind a dam being filled with water. You can fill it and fill it, but until it overflows the dam there is no change to the river downstream - but if you keep on your course one day the lake will overflow the dam and all that effort is rewarded. Its a shite metaphor but the first that came to mind. Rome wasn't built in a day, if you prefer.

Sums it up pretty well. Always the same with GB. Implying things, then cowardly hiding behind "I didnt say this or that". This way later on you can be in the "I told you so" mode when appropriate and the "I never said so" mode when it fits. All a bit Alessandro Moreschi.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I think we'll finish no better than 15th and around the 35-40 point mark this season AGAIN. And, guess what? That's exactly what'll happen next season too, It'll be like groundhog season. And that's because of our budget, our strikers and, yes, our coach, blindly sticking to the same plan game after game and occasionally making baffling substitutions or no substitutions at all. (The plan, when it works, is beautiful, and not so when it doesn't. It's football's answer to the little girl with the curl).

It's a combination of all those things which is exactly why I did NOT use the word "Potter". Of course [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] did, because he has to.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
In that case we haven't found the formula yet, surely thats a little worrying. There is definately ways of beating the bottom three teams as they have lost 71 games between them. Yet we haven't found what it is.

It's because he doesn't deviate from the remit he has been given on how the Hierarchy want the Club to play..

That's not going to work against all systems. Especially since the players at his disposal are not all suited to that system.

It has worked in enough games to get enough points to stay up. This squad isn't good enough to be in the top 10 and fans would be kidding themselves if they think they are. I honestly think this is a good season. The only thing that's happening is that I don't think the Club have kept a lid on fans expectations.

I always think if you can lower expectations and then over achieve. That's far better than raising expectations and then under achieving.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sums it up pretty well. Always the same with GB. Implying things, then cowardly hiding behind "I didnt say this or that". This way later on you can be in the "I told you so" mode when appropriate and the "I never said so" mode when it fits. All a bit Alessandro Moreschi.

Exactly like you on the Social Media Silence thread then.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whilst I'm frustrated with the predictability of so many of our games, I remain absolutely delighted with the direction of travel under Potter.

It feels as though we are so close to being an absolutely cracking Premier League side. In fact we are an absolutely cracking Premier League side, capable of going toe-to-toe with pretty much every other side in the league, including teams that absolutely steamrollered us in our first couple of seasons in the top flight.

Where we're falling short, obviously, is in the final third where we can xG with the best of them but repeatedly fail to convert that to all-important goals. I'm happy to believe and trust that will come.

Spot on.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

One is the terrible finishing - you could easily argue that we have worked out how to break down the low block, we have made lots of chances and we are not putting them away - hopefully that will be resolved with a better striker and better shooting from midfield, including someone who can score from direct free-kicks. Then there is scoring from corners - getting better at that. And there is being more clinical on counter attacks - I remember the first PL game at the Amex against Man City, our block had held out for 65 minutes, then we finally had our first sustained spell of possession in their half - but then lost it and 10 seconds later City had scored. United are good at that as well. We need to work on that.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
We have no progressed like we all wanted, but key players out injured and a lack of quality up front has kept us where we are. The board need to back him this window. Keep our key players, sign someone who can score and offload the dead wood. Then we may be 10-15th type team.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
It's because he doesn't deviate from the remit he has been given on how the Hierarchy want the Club to play..

That's not going to work against all systems. Especially since the players at his disposal are not all suited to that system.

It has worked in enough games to get enough points to stay up. This squad isn't good enough to be in the top 10 and fans would be kidding themselves if they think they are. I honestly think this is a good season. The only thing that's happening is that I don't think the Club have kept a lid on fans expectations.

I always think if you can lower expectations and then over achieve. That's far better than raising expectations and then under achieving.

I don't think this is a good season. Its acceptable, but only because we are staying up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports