Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are no better than last season

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've really enjoyed this season. Enjoyed tonight too, well, the second half.

Better or worse ? Don't know really. I just like watching them play.

You’re in danger of being Alec Guinness in Bridge over the River Kwai.

sir-alec-guinness-as-colonel-nicholson-the-bridge-on-the-river-kwai-publicity-photo-1957-david-lee-guss.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We are a below average quality Prem team, paying below average money.
That means every now and again we will be utter shite.
But we are, on the whole, improving IMO.

Improvement isn’t crystal clear though. Not all fans view football in the same way, some look at the style of play and can see an obvious improvement (not last might), others focus more on the results and league table. If a fan falls into the latter category then there’s every reason why they could have had enough as our overall results haven’t improved in any way and we’re still in our default position in the table.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How can it be arguably yet fact? ****ing idiot.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Because you don't understand how writing in the English language works. I split my sentence across the title and body. It's a fact we're no better this season and it's arguable we're worse. Shall I draw you a picture in crayon?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Maybe, but still much better than this time 2 years ago when we lost 0-5 to Bournemouth and 0-2 to relegation rivals Cardiff at home.

Agreed - but that wasn't the point I was making. And if you want to stretch it back we are also currently no better than our first season when we managed to beat Swansea 4-1 and West Brom 3-1, defeat Man U and Arsenal at home, defeat West Ham twice scoring 6 times and finishing 15th with 40 points. We might struggle to hit either of those marks this time round. If we do we'll have done it the hard way by stepping up against good sides and being awful against bad ones.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Because you don't understand how writing in the English language works. I split my sentence across the title and body. It's a fact we're no better this season and it's arguable we're worse. Shall I draw you a picture in crayon?

Its not a fact.

Its a fact that the team might pick up less points than last season, but the team being worse is not a "fact".

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think there is an argument to say that the word 'fact' should have preceded the sentence, 'and arguably worse.'

That said, I agree with you, and it's an obtuse mind that fails to see the point you are making.

I'd still like to see the crayon drawing though.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
100% in the potter out camp after that. We need banners for the home match, fan power can get him gone.

If you are serious, and I haven't been wooshed, then you are a disgrace to the good name of Brighton football club.

You may (don't) like Potter, but do you really think the right thing to do for when fans get back into the ground, after the last year we have had, is to demonstrate against the manager.

****ing idiot...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
100% agree. You and I have been much of same mind this season GB. If we were to get 9 points from our last five games, I'd concede that we have improved in some areas and most importantly, in the points tally. However, this is unlikely and now it looks like we're going to either finish with our lowest or second lowest points tally in the PL. Even if it were to happen, it would not obscure the fact that Potter's number one goal next season must be finding a way to adapt/change/transform his style of football when playing against bottom half teams. This is not simply about finding a striker. People need to ask themselves why our strikers seem to find the net against better sides, but not against lower opposition. Every game against the teams around us, except Newcastle for some reason, seem to follow exactly the same narrative. We shouldn't just be winning more of these games - we should be dominating some of them.

For those that think this is entertaining, I'd argue that:

1) Your perception of what is entertainment has been skewed since you haven't been back in the stadiums. My definition of an entertaining loss is going down 5-4, not losing 1-0 to a team that have mustered only 14 points all year and saw our "improved" second half consist of 45 minutes of spraying the ball from side to side, back to the defence, in front of a wall in the penalty area. I am really certain that once you're back in the stands, this will get old very, very quickly.

2) I may be shot down in flames for saying this, but classing this as entertainment is following the same line of thinking as the supporters of the ESL: results don't matter as much as the quality of football on offer. Again, once we're back in grounds I'm convinced Albion fans won't be settling for so-called nice football that gets us zero points in a game against relegation fodder.

Good post.

I do feel a little sorry for Potter, in that his whole recruitment and training set up at the start of the season was around us playing at pace with wingbacks and he's lost both our wingbacks to injury for a huge amount of the season. But anyone who watches football could see after 15 minutes that a formation that worked against Newcastle wasn't going to work last night, yet we stuck with it for far too late. Ali J brought some width and crossing quality at least but Izquierdo was introduced far too late and Connolly at left back? What the actual :censored: ?

It's been a pattern for most of the season that we can mix it with the big boys but we're completely flaccid when it comes to the teams below us, and an awful lot of our possession has been possession in our own back third.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Its not a fact.

Its a fact that the team might pick up less points than last season, but the team being worse is not a "fact".

Again, for the hard of reading, the statement that we are NO BETTER is a fact and the statement that we are worse is ARGUABLE. And it's based on results and place in the table which is the only thing that counts. It's not gymnastics or ice skating.

You argued on the Barca thread that 2011 was "peak Barca". Was that based on their pretty little patterns or winning the Champions League?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
And so is the whole "I dont give a shit except when losing" mob.

Oh dear. Weak.

Just think, when Potter goes - whichever season that is - you can close your account on here and move to another club, and then you won't have to put up with the writings of loyal fans.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Again, for the hard of reading, the statement that we are NO BETTER is a fact and the statement that we are worse is ARGUABLE. And it's based on results and place in the table which is the only thing that counts. It's not gymnastics or ice skating.

Its still not a fact. Its your opinion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Its still not a fact. Its your opinion.

It's a fact based on the league table. In the same way Liverpool are worse than last season. Fact. Sheffield United are worse than last season. Fact. Villa are better. Fact. A three kilo turbot is bigger than a one kilo turbot. Fact. Because the way you decide that is to use a measure. A Ferrari is faster than a Dacia Duster because it would beat it in a race.

Monty Python is funnier than Fawlty Towers? That's an opinion

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Oh dear. Weak.

Just think, when Potter goes - whichever season that is - you can close your account on here and move to another club, and then you won't have to put up with the writings of loyal fans.

Just think when the team gets improves their results next season and all these loyal fans will be either shrugging their shoulders or thriving in the poor results of some cricket team or something. Going to be beautiful.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Good post.

I do feel a little sorry for Potter, in that his whole recruitment and training set up at the start of the season was around us playing at pace with wingbacks and he's lost both our wingbacks to injury for a huge amount of the season. But anyone who watches football could see after 15 minutes that a formation that worked against Newcastle wasn't going to work last night, yet we stuck with it for far too late. Ali J brought some width and crossing quality at least but Izquierdo was introduced far too late and Connolly at left back? What the actual :censored: ?

It's been a pattern for most of the season that we can mix it with the big boys but we're completely flaccid when it comes to the teams below us, and an awful lot of our possession has been possession in our own back third.

I agree with a lot of what you say, we aren’t learning from our mistakes and there is a consistent pattern of results and performances against certain levels of teams which leaves me scratching my head wondering why we aren’t changing anything.

You are right that a huge issue we have is injuries to both our wing backs. In a system where we don’t have a Grealish a Zaha or someone or that ilk who is going to go past players and make things happen missing two players who provide width and attacking purpose in the final third is a huge loss. Our other issue is having far too many one-paced players in a system that really does require players to have a change of pace.

I don’t believe we are worse than last season, we’ve competed with better teams far better and deserved more points than we have got. However we haven’t learnt any lessons from last season and improved in the areas that were clearly an issue.... in some ways this is worse than the claim you made because our flaws are there to see and not doing anything about them appears criminal.

We have a better keeper, look far better defensively(apart from the occasional issue) and our midfield isn’t completely over run which was still in the case on many occasions last season. But we haven’t improved as an attacking force at all, we miss the chances we do create and against teams who play behind the ball against us we lack clarity and creativity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here