Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney not world class says...................Joey Barton

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Two points. You don't need to be a world-class player to have an informed opinion on whether someone else is and I'd also argue that Barton has made the most of his potential.You could even say that he's over-achieved and in no small way because of the persona he has built.

And of course, Barton is spot on with his analysis.

*slam dunk*

If the only people allowed to comment on the careers and performances of others in football were those who thought they'd surpassed it themselves critical thought would be dead in a week.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Err no. People who have worked with both Rooney and Ronaldo. That could include Wes Brown.

And also include prostitutes.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Really dissappointed with the Barton vs. Woodward interview on 5 Live at the moment. Time and time again Woodwood tries to give Joey a chance asking him to put himself in a coaches shoes and it's just endless self justification from Barton. Woodwood is bloody brilliant though, he's just a massively impressive man.

Just pretty boring really.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I don't think Rooney has any class at all let alone world.

He was a promising youngster but has failed to deliver. I can't remember any top European team being interested in him which speaks volumes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think Rooney has any class at all let alone world.

He was a promising youngster but has failed to deliver. I can't remember any top European team being interested in him which speaks volumes.

Very much this. He's the ultimate flat-track bully who tends to choke on the biggest stages.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The fact we are having this debate is enough to tell me he isn't.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Too much mouthing off at refs and linesmen and generally being a gobshite from Rooney. The real world class players are mostly cool, efficient and clinical rather than running around trying to kick someone out of frustration. Can be brilliant but can too often be a yellow card waiting to happen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I saw some hideous photos of him against Bayern in the press today. How fit is he?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Two points. You don't need to be a world-class player to have an informed opinion on whether someone else is and I'd also argue that Barton has made the most of his potential.You could even say that he's over-achieved and in no small way because of the persona he has built.

And of course, Barton is spot on with his analysis.

I would argue that Barton has underachieved and in no small way because of the persona he has built. I'm believe he'd be in the Prem still if it hadn't been for his ill-discipline both on and off the field over the years

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I love the philosopher Joey Barthes. Here's what he has to say about Neymar:

"Neymar is the Justin Bieber of football. Brilliant on the old You Tube. Cat piss in reality..."

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You can only get picked in your position. Let's be generous and call him an attacker. Let's do an imaginary draft and say you can pick any three from Messi, Ronaldo, Imbrahimovich, Suarez and Rooney. Rooney last pick every time.

For me, He gets into Chelsea, Arsenal, AC Milan, Juventus, Dortmund, Schalke, Marseille, Ajax, Celtic, Benfica, Galatasaray, Olympiakos. That's world class in my book.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For me, He gets into Chelsea, Arsenal, AC Milan, Juventus, Dortmund, Schalke, Marseille, Ajax, Celtic, Benfica, Galatasaray, Olympiakos. That's world class in my book.

This is mainly a list of Champions League also-rans. And I reckon I could get into the Celtic team.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

So why hasn't he gone to one of those clubs then ? If he was any good surely there would have been an offer that Man United could not refuse, like Cristiano Ronaldo ? A couple of years ago he was saying that he would be off unless Manchester United showed more interest in signing better players yet this season he can see the club declining yet signs a huge deal for 5 more years ?

PS, the last 7 clubs you mention are not " World Class " and they have shown no interest in him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've listed the biggest clubs in Europe bar a handful. And he'd get into all of those as a starter. The other week he scored a goal from the halfway line. How often does that happen in Europe's top leagues? A special goal from a talented player.

How many England players of the last 40 years were capable of going to the Maracana and scoring that incredible goal he managed? Two or three, perhaps.

Man Utd are paying him megabucks because players who can do these things are thin on the ground.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've listed the biggest clubs in Europe bar a handful. And he'd get into all of those as a starter. The other week he scored a goal from the halfway line. How often does that happen in Europe's top leagues? A special goal from a talented player.

How many England players of the last 40 years were capable of going to the Maracana and scoring that incredible goal he managed? Two or three, perhaps.

Man Utd are paying him megabucks because players who can do these things are thin on the ground.

Surprised you forgot, Barca, Real, Athletico for just a few. I think Wayne is staying put because he has reached the limit of his technical aspirations, language abilities and more than met his financial expectations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here