Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge...

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Good luck to him.

He played well for us last year, and we helped him out.

What's stopping us doing another deal to get some more players like him on loan.

Top teams can only play 11 players, and can only have a squad of 25 (I think). This leaves loads of players going spare.

TB

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
It is true. On telegraph website. Added to the Redknapp fall out with Fernandes article.

We simply couldn't compete with their parachute payments income, which gives them a club income 50% greater than ours despite their fickle fanbase. Hence the interest in joining Reading by ££££ Gus back in the winter.

Puts paid to diehard Albion fans who told me Bridge loved it down here, and money was no longer as issue to the wealthy man.

Shame. Best left back in our history in my opinion.

(Adkins 'Albion-watching' again. Just like when he tried to poach Calderon).

What makes you think we made an offer for him to join us permanently?

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Nothing on the club website, big loss if he has. Maybe all the upset at the club and with no one at the helm to help sway him to stay. Wages in the end I suppose.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He probably preferred to sign for a club who know who their manager will be at the start of the season.

That said, you have to feel a little sorry for him having to listen to the David Brent of football management every day. I wonder if the players play Adkins Bingo during team meetings the way journos do at his press conferences?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
He probably preferred to sign for a club who know who their manager will be at the start of the season.

That said, you have to feel a little sorry for him having to listen to the David Brent of football management every day. I wonder if the players play Adkins Bingo during team meetings the way journos do at his press conferences?

article-0-1A2DD646000005DC-637_634x441.jpg

HOUSE! :moo:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
This is pretty much how I feel too. I hate it when people love a player while he's with us and then, as soon as he leaves, claim he wasn't actually that good anyway. I'm not going to do that. Bridge was obviously very, very good for us last season. But he's going to be 33 this summer and he'll be demanding a big wage by NPC standards. It would have been good to get him, but ultimately he's an expensive 33-year-old left-back. It's not a position where you should pay big money as there are plenty of them around. If he was a 25-goal striker then I'd say pay him whatever he wants as he'll be the difference between success and failure, but there is no way we should ever be going above the budget for a left-back.
Have to agree with that!!

Be disappointed if true.

But in all honestly, he was on a reported 100k a week last season, and he was hardly going to drop to the 10k or so we were paying him.

Certainly wouldn't want to break the bank for a 33 year old left back, no matter how good he is. And good he most certainly is!!!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
A club with a manager.
Too be fair though, if it was down to that and nothing else, think about it. Would you join a club with no manager, or one with Nigel Adkins in charge!! I think I'd roll the dice and take my chances! :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to know how hard we tried to re-sign him. I would have preferred him to join a Prem club, as Reading are loking in good shape for an automatic promotion spot. I think this move just confirms the budgetary constraints we are operating under as compared to the clubs with parachute payments.

I think we need the likes of JFC and Maksimenko to break through to save on wages.

On the plus side all is turmoil at QPR. We just need Wigan to be asset-stripped now.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
What is more worrying than Wayne Bridge leaving, which is a blow on its own, is that Wayne was an outspoken supporter of Gus. Which would suggest that he knows Gus is leaving, as most of our players will also know.
And knowing that, and knowing how long this is taking to sort out manager wise, will surely have some of our more desirable players looking elsewhere. I am starting to lose faith.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Sad as he was absolutely class for us.

However I would be surprised if he is as good for Reading as he was for us as he has to be slowing down a bit now and I would imagine the injuries may start to pop up a bit more regularly as per the end of this season.

We shouldn't be breaking the bank for a left back no, but it is sad as whoever we have next year in all likelihood won't be in the same league as Bridge was.

Maksimenko to step up or new foreign flairlord to be drafted in?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
What is more worrying than Wayne Bridge leaving, which is a blow on its own, is that Wayne was an outspoken supporter of Gus. Which would suggest that he knows Gus is leaving, as most of our players will also know.
And knowing that, and knowing how long this is taking to sort out manager wise, will surely have some of our more desirable players looking elsewhere. I am starting to lose faith.

No, it doesnt.

Maybe people should remember that they were feeling the same about Mattock last season and we ended up going 1 better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here