Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne bridge in talks

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
why would Doncaster sign another Left Back after just signing Ilunga from West Ham, admittedly Ilunga is shite but still seems a bit pointless.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's musings on this thread are th emost interesting. I would say 99% of the time he is right so I reckon there is more than a modicum of truth in this. Come on Bozza, spill the beans.

Very good point, come on Bozza,spill!

I can't tell you he will sign, but I do know that "In talks with Bridge" rumours do have something concrete behind them.

I have my fingers crossed like everyone else.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Possibly because of points dropped from winning positions would have had us top.
Possibly the disappointment is not with league position in october, but with the way we've played in our last four games (bar the second 45 v leeds and the first 25 v palace). Being 5th now means nothing. Being 5th come the end of march means something, and that won't happen if we keep playing the way we have.

That about sums it up. I dont expect us to be champions or even in the play offs although obviously I would like it but as Acker 79 has said the manner in which we have played recently suggest a long hard winter unless the rot is stopped quickly. What we have achieved in the last 18 months is immaterial it is the next 6 months that matter. If we fall back, as has happened previously when in The Championship all our achievements will be for nothing but I must stress I dont expect Gus and TB to allow this, but losing can become a habit that is difficult to stop.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
My disappointment is not in the fact that I expect us to be in the promotion race but in the manner in which we seem to have fallen apart recently. Yes we have El Abd to come back but I do not think that Elphick will realistically figure as a first choice although at least he would attack the ball when in the air in our box. Buckley Vicente and Hoskins will obviously help us going forward but apart from the fact that we get forward m,uch too slowly we do not have problems i that department. Our problems appear to be in a our ability to defend especially when we have taken the lead and it is in this area that I would be disappointed if Gus does not strengthen the side. Failuire to do so could result in a very difficult 2/3rd of the season. I do, however, believe that Gus will 'see the light' and strengthen in January at the latest but I would like to see some positive action now.

Our problems, as I see it is the midfield and Barnes to a degree........ I like Barnes, he scores goals but he's a still a raw talent and whilst he will stick it away in the box often if it falls to him, he doesn't link very well with the midfield or chase every ball like CMS and can go missing in games for large periods (especially recently)...... The Midfield, again is not protecting the back four well enough imho, Bridcutt is on his own and both Dicker and Harley are quite lightweight, with Dicker often losing or giving the ball away in dangerous areas.

The midfield needs to be have more strength and fluidity between them and defence/attack.... It seems often like we're trying to walk the ball into the net. A few more shots on goal, like Vicente's pearler rather than 1 pass to many

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Bridge would be a tremendous signing.

I would also love having an excuse to dislike John Terry even more than I currently do. That'll be fun.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we need an improvement in the defence at full back and centre defence as I have said many times as everybody has got carried away with Dunk and missed the fact that we do not win any headers in the box. As many have said we need a support to Bridcut and I have suggested many times that Vincelot may be the defensive midfielder to do this job. If we dont have the players to do these jobs then we need to bring them in whether they be old experienced players looking for clubs or others on loan. Possibly until El Abd is back I dont think that we have the players to rectify the situation.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Granted, however when was the last time we made a signing that didn't drag on for FARKIN ages!

indeed - so does anyone of you lot thats 'in the know' about this deal (and there have been a few so far) got a time frame for this before i get sacked for doing no work. Still recovering from the Vicente thread.......:smile:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Signing Bridge would be great but it wouldn't stop our midfield being over run as Peter Ward and Bens Grandad have said.

Of the current squad, I agree with playing Vincelot as a defensive midfielder to help protect Bridcutt. Looks like Gus wants Vicente to play behind the front 1 or 2 so it could mean Vicente to replace Barnes?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think that we need an improvement in the defence at full back and centre defence as I have said many times as everybody has got carried away with Dunk and missed the fact that we do not win any headers in the box. As many have said we need a support to Bridcut and I have suggested many times that Vincelot may be the defensive midfielder to do this job. If we dont have the players to do these jobs then we need to bring them in whether they be old experienced players looking for clubs or others on loan. Possibly until El Abd is back I dont think that we have the players to rectify the situation.

What a load of utter garbage. 3 weeks ago we were top. Every team has a bad spell, the key is too not panic and do the work on the training ground to fix things. If we can do a small bit of business to help improve then fine but you are almost suggesting major changes. We have already spent a fortune. It's supporters attitudes like yours, losing all grasp of where weve come from, that leads to chairman overspending and clubs doing a pompey.

I am 100% sure we wil stay up comfortably and that should be enough for this season to be a success.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What a load of utter garbage. 3 weeks ago we were top. Every team has a bad spell, the key is too not panic and do the work on the training ground to fix things. If we can do a small bit of business to help improve then fine but you are almost suggesting major changes. We have already spent a fortune. It's supporters attitudes like yours, losing all grasp of where weve come from, that leads to chairman overspending and clubs doing a pompey.

Need not be major changes, as it can be amazing how much difference one player can make at the back. One player with experience, and know-how can suddenly improve everyone around them. Do you remember how gfood we looked with Morgan for that one wonderful season? I also thought Dean Blackwell made a difference to everyone around him, just a shame injury robbed us of having him back there for longer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Talking of garbage case of pot kettle. All I have suggested is Vincelot to play alongside Bridcut to shore up the midfield which has been overrun recently and a possible loan signing to strengthen the defence until such time as El Abd is back, no major expenditure or reformatting just a little tinkering to make us operate more efficiently and avoid giving away so many goals. Even taking in to account their wealth it is acceptable to conceede 3 goals to Leicester and Ipswich and even more so Palace and to allow Leeds a 2 goal start and Blackpool to come back from 2 goals down. No of course it is not and we must stop this happening as there are many sides as good and better than those that I have mentioned.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Need not be major changes, as it can be amazing how much difference one player can make at the back. One player with experience, and know-how can suddenly improve everyone around them. Do you remember how gfood we looked with Morgan for that one wonderful season? I also thought Dean Blackwell made a difference to everyone around him, just a shame injury robbed us of having him back there for longer.

I dont disagree with you. I think a small tweak could make a massive difference, but if you read BG's post he is suggesting changes all over the park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here