Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Way too negative?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why do people think that throwing men forwards and going attacking will result in a win? If we had done that and Preston had caught us on the break I bet the moaners would be all saying that we should have sat back more.

We can kill teams off in the last quarter as they start pushing forward looking for an equaliser but it's not so easy if you always take a striker off.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
You know 'today's opposition' had won 4 of their last 6 games?

The league wins were all at home against struggling sides! Lets not make excuses apart from a 20 min spell on Saturday we were poor and so were they 2 points blown!

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
i think the premise of trying to sure up midfield to protect a 1 goal lead is a sound one. Unfortunately the players couldn't execute this time. I would have been far more frustrated had we got caught on the counter attack going for a 3rd.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Eh? Can Baldock not last 90 minutes then? Totally unnecessary change as far as I could see.
What are we left with if he picks up yet another injury?

The square root of f*** all.

With his injury record I don't see how CH has any choice in the matter, when wrapping Baldock up in cotton wool. (which he's probably allergic too)

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Why do people think that throwing men forwards and going attacking will result in a win? If we had done that and Preston had caught us on the break I bet the moaners would be all saying that we should have sat back more.

For me it's not about throwing men forward but keeping up the tempo we started the second half. They should be fit enough to do it for 90 minutes not 15 minutes to go a goal up and then dropping the tempo.

Watching Southampton yesterday, they played with tempo for the whole game which is one of the reasons they have been so successful in recent years.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Spot on. We've lost seven in our last Championship 58 games. Of the remainder, we've won far more than drawn. Yes, today we sat deep in the last 15 minutes or so, having replaced Baldock with Stephens, and yes, it didn't work out. But CH has done that often, and more often than not, things turn out all right.
If fingers need pointing today, it's conceding two very poor goals (each of which had multiple culprits), and only getting three shots on target out of 22 chances.

Agreed this I felt was the issue we should have been out of sight by the time they hoofed into the box...

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Hughton gets far more right than wrong. I have no problem with going defensive to try and see the game out if we are coming under pressure. It just didn't feel as though we were. Going to 5 in the middle would also have made sense against a side that was keen to play through the middle. PNE had made their intent clear bringing on the big Danish striker, and especially when they went down to 10 men.. they were going to by pass the midfield at every opportunity. I get that having 5 in the middle should make it easier to stop crosses but again, we signalled our intent to hang-on just at the point when they were probably thinking 2-1 loss might be OK.. the game changed.. For me we made the wrong decision to change shape, but crucially made it when there was at least 10 mins to go (even longer?). That is a long time to try and stay tight with crosses coming in..

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The league wins were all at home against struggling sides! Lets not make excuses apart from a 20 min spell on Saturday we were poor and so were they 2 points blown!

Blimey, I thought we were far from poor. Other than some brainless defending we dominated the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here