Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watfords 1st goal [video]

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Give the guy a break. The trajectory started outside his left hand post. He would have expected the shot to curl inside that post and started to move in that direction. The fact that it ended up inside his right hand post tells me that this was a total freak of a goal. No blame to the keeper in my opinion.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Still crap keeping, his movement the wrong way meant it was impossible for him to save it.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think we should give some credit to Murray, the free kick taker. There was a hell of a lot of curve on that shot especially from that angle and with the right foot.
The biggest mistake IMO is the positioning of the wall.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The only difficult thing about the free kick was he got it up and over the wall When it went past Gonzales it was pretty central and not very high. Gonzales had moved to the right for some reason - but had he stayed his ground it would have been a comfortable save.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
OK I may well be the IDIOT here but if I am right and none of the other 25 posters above spotted it than I call you all IDIOTS ; )

THAT TAKES A MASSIVE DEFLECTION OFF CMS' HEAD - THERE'S NO WAY IT WOULD MOVE AT THAT ANGLE FROM SHEER CURL...?! I thought this when i first saw it and having watched a few times again i think it does clip his head and causes the ball to move an awful lot at a freakish angle? You can even see the keeper go to the left where the ball is heading before deflected...?!

Putting the sillyness aside I must say from WSU that looked a lot worse keeping error than it was. Still not good positining tho.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Didn't see any other saves but for people to write him off for THAT is just silly, it curved so much the video almost looks fake.

edit- minor deflection looks entirely possible, hard to be sure from so far

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would be inclined to blame the wall. I think Murray fluked it. Because he mishit it, it deceived Gonzo.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Why on earth does the wall not even jump? If the wall jumps that gets blocked. Awful goal to concede on many fronts.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Last night I thought it was a clanger from the keeper as he ran to the left and then had to jump back but I did realise the curl on the ball as I was at a similar angle as the camera man. Today I am not so sure and leaning towards it not being as much his fault as we first thought. I am not convinced there was a deflection but there may have been, even so it curled massively. The big issue is not one person in the wall jumped, why is that? If Gus has told them not to jump, the only reason that I can see is so that the taker does not hit low under them. But if they did hit it low under them it would be a great shot for it to avoid anyone's boots etc. and they are highly unlikely to score this way. Way more chance to score going over the top. The fact all of them didn't jump leads me to think they were told not to.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Should have saved it, although Brez wouldn't do much better and Ankergren just don't move. Unfortunately we have the 3 worst keepers in the league

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here