Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watford v Crystal Palace tonight

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Jeez, its going to be tight at the end of the season when you get all your extra 'attendance' points added on...
Nah, you still have 20 points to add on for your academy and the fact you sold Wini for £10m.

We made Watford look like utter shite and completely deserved a win against the form team in the division.
You didn't deserve a win at all. It's not like you hit the post 3 times, or had a stone all penalty turned down. They scored 2, you scored 2, a draw was a fair result. The only dodgy decision I remember was with 5 minutes to go, when your player handled a Watford cross and got away with it.

I just wonder how you get to 'didn't look like scoring more' and 'were lucky to score 2'
I didn't say you 'were lucky to score 2' you stupid cretin, I said 'you did well to score two'.

when we had all that dominance and 17 shots. Exactly what is your criteria to agree that someone is likely to score and could have got more than 2 ?
Typical goals/shots ratio is about 0.11, and goals/shots on target about 0.2, so 17 shots (I thought it was 19), 7 of which were on target, returning 2 goals is about right.

But you think you should have had more than 2 because you're super Palace. Palace didn't miss out through poor luck, they played badly to go 2 down, and did well to get a draw, that's it.

Feb 14, 2010
You've blatantly just chosen a one off lower league game in your history that obviously was a game that had significant consequences in your season (close to promotion or relegation 6 pointer i would guess) to make it look like you have big away support then compared that to a game which we actually sold out our allocation! You couldn't make it up. That's like me claiming we are a bigger club with better away support than you as we took 5700 fans to Sheffield Wednesday 2 and a half ago in the game where one of the sides would be relegated and comparing that to the 1200 you took last week for a normal league game of no real importance. You really are getting desperate now aren't you WCP!

We were top, they were second or the other way around. It was a Saturday in the first half of the season so before Christmas I think, as such it was just two lower league sides playing each other who had started the season well. Chesterfield is a bloody long way to go from Brighton, Watford is 25 miles away from Croydon and you stood to go into an automatic slot for the top flight. We were in the 4th division sorry div 2 as they insist on calling it I think.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
We were top, they were second or the other way around. It was a Saturday in the first half of the season so before Christmas I think, as such it was just two lower league sides playing each other who had started the season well. Chesterfield is a bloody long way to go from Brighton, Watford is 25 miles away from Croydon and you stood to go into an automatic slot for the top flight. We were in the 4th division sorry div 2 as they insist on calling it I think.

So you once took more fans than normal for a top of the table clash? Your point is? If your support is so good then why did you often not sell out the Withdean?

Feb 14, 2010
So you once took more fans than normal for a top of the table clash? Your point is? If your support is so good then why did you often not sell out the Withdean?

The first 3 to 4 seasons at Withdean was a sell out. The last 3/4 seasons was often a sell out but for away fans like palace who failed to sell out the away end (oh yes, that was not your finest hour). The reason why people didnt fancy another season iplaying Hartlepool on a Tuesday night in the rain is pretty obvious and given what Brighton went through the support through those dark years was truly superb, in fact bigger crowds at Withdean than you got at Selhurst in the early to mid 80's. That is however only how it should be with our catchment area. The problem with Brighton is not its support, its that our players normally let us down. Always have but I think Bloom will change that as failure is not really something that he has a record of doing.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I think that was also the season where we took 4k+ to the final game of the season away to Port Vale to celebrate being League Champions.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
You didn't deserve a win at all. It's not like you hit the post 3 times, or had a stone all penalty turned down. They scored 2, you scored 2, a draw was a fair result. The only dodgy decision I remember was with 5 minutes to go, when your player handled a Watford cross and got away with it.

I didn't say you 'were lucky to score 2' you stupid cretin, I said 'you did well to score two'.

Typical goals/shots ratio is about 0.11, and goals/shots on target about 0.2, so 17 shots (I thought it was 19), 7 of which were on target, returning 2 goals is about right.

We didn't deserve to win? Funny that, most Watford fans on their forum think we did, would you like the link? Even a lot of BHAFC fans have said the same on this thread and that's saying something. Don Goodman also stated that we deserved it during the end of his commentary as did Malky McKay who was a studio pundit. Think you're in the minority...

P.s what the hell is with the shots stats?? That's sad, even for you Trig

Feb 14, 2010
I think that was also the season where we took 4k+ to the final game of the season away to Port Vale to celebrate being League Champions.

And 3000 to Notts County and 800 plus at Rochdale on a Wednesday night when public transport couldn't get you back to Sussex! That for me was better than the 3000 plus at Chesterfield.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
And 3000 to Notts County and 800 plus at Rochdale on a Wednesday night when public transport couldn't get you back to Sussex! That for me was better than the 3000 plus at Chesterfield.

:facepalm: haven't you left for the game yet :yawn:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Wow. How utterly boring.

Why anyone from either club gives two shits about the other in this absolutely pointless 'rivalry', I'll never know.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
The first 3 to 4 seasons at Withdean was a sell out. The last 3/4 seasons was often a sell out but for away fans like palace who failed to sell out the away end (oh yes, that was not your finest hour). The reason why people didnt fancy another season iplaying Hartlepool on a Tuesday night in the rain is pretty obvious and given what Brighton went through the support through those dark years was truly superb, in fact bigger crowds at Withdean than you got at Selhurst in the early to mid 80's. That is however only how it should be with our catchment area. The problem with Brighton is not its support, its that our players normally let us down. Always have but I think Bloom will change that as failure is not really something that he has a record of doing.

Often sold out. So sometimes you didn't. Poor. End of.

And please realise, we did sell out our away allocation at Withdean in 2006, you honestly think we wouldn't sell out 700? Come on!

Feb 14, 2010
:facepalm: haven't you left for the game yet :yawn:

I live in Town mate, left Sussex years ago, and so I wont be a part of the biggest gate in the division. Normally a few away games and and a few home games a season these days. You really hate it when we let facts explode the palace delusion of a great support. Its just true that we had a bigger support than you when we were in the 4th division (league 2). That is just why we are just not impressed by taking less than 3000 to a game 25 miles away when you can get into a top flight automatic promotion slot. Its just shit.

Sainsburys3tescos1

Jul 18, 2012
Its 25 miles from Croydon to Watford. We don't have one away game a mere 25 miles away. You also are pushing automatic promotion, we are mid table. Palace away support is and always has been poor. W took more to the likes of Chesterfield in the lower leagues than you take to games 25 miles away.

Tough , your attendances are up there with the best in this division .Leeds and Sheff W don't have the same problem taking good numbers away when them.
What's your excuse?
Palace fans have got a good rep from most away teams for making a good racket however many we take,even at 2-0 down last night.
I'd say you averaging roughly 100 more than us away from home considering you are getting 25,000 plus through the gate it pretty poor really .

Feb 14, 2010
Tough , your attendances are up there with the best in this division .Leeds and Sheff W don't have the same problem taking good numbers away when them.
What's your excuse?
Palace fans have got a good rep from most away teams for making a good racket however many we take,even at 2-0 down last night.
I'd say you averaging roughly 100 more than us away from home considering you are getting 25,000 plus through the gate it pretty poor really .

Distance is a major factor and place taking less than 3000 for a game 25 miles away is shit. We took over 3000 to Chesterfield for a normal league game in the 4th division (league 2). Should our away support be bigger, not with the distance and difficult journey that Brighton fans have for every away game. Clubs like Shef W have loads of local games to break up their travelling and they have half of Yorkshire that have moved to London.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Distance is a major factor and place taking less than 3000 for a game 25 miles away is shit. We took over 3000 to Chesterfield for a normal league game in the 4th division (league 2). Should our away support be bigger, not with the distance and difficult journey that Brighton fans have for every away game. Clubs like Shef W have loads of local games to break up their travelling and they have half of Yorkshire that have moved to London.

What is it that you fail to understand? We sold out our allocation at Watford, there was demand for more but our board did not take up the option on the off chance we didn't sell them all.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
All football rivalries are pointless, how you dont get that I will never know but if you dont enjoy it, then dont take part.

Yep, I'm happy to not to take part in the 'mine is bigger than yours' contest.
Two managers from the late 70's didn't really like each other very much and the two teams played each other on Boxing Day a few times..

tumblr_lr3xmaVftE1r2g7mto1_400.jpg

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
Nah, you still have 20 points to add on for your academy and the fact you sold Wini for £10m.

But you think you should have had more than 2 because you're super Palace. Palace didn't miss out through poor luck, they played badly to go 2 down, and did well to get a draw, that's it.

Trig old chum, personal insults are not becoming of a gentleman pedant. What I said amounts to the same thing, which most people go with, but the pedants obviously dont I suppose. The next bit with the stats just embarrasses you really. And please dont tell us what we think and then castigate us for it, that is the hallmark of someone who isnt that smart, but thinks he is. By all means give it your best on what we do say (although it seems your pedantry is your best shot, its not your fault I guess, im sure you're trying your best) but saying 'you think that' and then getting stuck into that pre-ordained opinion, well very poor really.

All reasonable people who are knowledgable about football would say that Watford were lucky to get a point. I know they battered you in your backyard recently, so that really highlights the difference in quality between Palace and Brighton right now, and I imagine that sticks in your throat. But much as it would pain me to say it, had it been the tesco bags out there last night I would have had to say the same.

Still, youve got more fans, and are building academy's and generally throwing money at things so im sure you'll be in the prem soon. Because thats all you need isnt it, lots of money ? Im sure once you do that the Zaha's and Williams' will just come pouring out of Brighton... :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We didn't deserve to win? Funny that, most Watford fans on their forum think we did, would you like the link? Even a lot of BHAFC fans have said the same on this thread and that's saying something. Don Goodman also stated that we deserved it during the end of his commentary as did Malky McKay who was a studio pundit.
Watford fans will be disappointed they through away a 2 goal lead, so they'll be feeling negative. I don't believe the pundits thought you deserved to win - more like they said that at the end you could have gone on to win it. But I watched the game, and you weren't particularly close to scoring a 3rd, and Watford could have gone 3 up in the first half.

Watford fans will be disappointed they through away a 2 goal lead, so they'll be feeling negative.P.s what the hell is with the shots stats??
Finchley seemed to think you deserved to win because you had 17 shots.

What I said amounts to the same thing, which most people go with, but the pedants obviously dont I suppose.
No need for pedantry on this occasion, I said you did well, that's nothing like saying you were lucky. You had a good second half, and managed to claw your way back from 2-0 down. That's a good effort for any team, but you're just assuming you deserved to win because you had a good second half.

The next bit with the stats just embarrasses you really.
:shrug: I'm not embarrassed. You talk shit about deserving to win because you had 17 shots, so I point out you're wrong.

And please dont tell us what we think and then castigate us for it, that is the hallmark of someone who isnt that smart, but thinks he is.
Eh? I'm not telling you what you think, I'm quoting the Palace fans here:
how we didn't win I don't know.
So it's fair to say he thought you deserved to win. I disagree, so you're saying I'm making up what you think :facepalm:

All reasonable people who are knowledgable about football would say that Watford were lucky to get a point.
That's just nonsense.
I know they battered you in your backyard recently, so that really highlights the difference in quality between Palace and Brighton right now
Oh bless, is that what you're reduced to now? I think the difference between our sides is best shown by the league table. We're 7 points behind with a game in hand.

Still, youve got more fans, and are building academy's and generally throwing money at things so im sure you'll be in the prem soon. Because thats all you need isnt it, lots of money ?
Well money is rather important yes, but we do things the right way down here - we struggled without money for decades, and are now building with a decent turnover, whereas you spent more than you could afford twice and then screwed over your local businesses. It's laughable that you think you're in a position to criticise our spending.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here